Should I buy the late 2011 Macbook Pro or wait for the early 2012 model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Omar El-Etr, Feb 26, 2012.

  1. Omar El-Etr macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2012
    #1
    I am really confused on whether buying a late 2011 Macbook Pro is the right choice or waiting for the 2012 is better. So, I wanted to know when is it expected that the 2012 model is released? And would be the price the same as every new generation Macbook Pro, because the Rumor said it will have only SSD and it is way more expensive that the ordinary hard drive. Please tell me what you think.
     
  2. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

    Medic278

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Location:
    New York
    #2
    First next time please for the love of god use the search there are at least 100 of the exact same posts. Buy now if you need a computer the current gen machines are excellent and will serve you well. If you can wait then wait for the refresh, as far as SSD goes I wouldn't bet the farm on it as Pro users need HDD space and currently large SSDs are very expensive and the cost of the machine would shoot threw the roof.
     
  3. Omar El-Etr thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2012
    #3
    Okay!!! Thanks friend I already searched but I wanted to make my view point around it clearer!
     
  4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

    Medic278

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Location:
    New York
    #4
    No problem, its just best to throw a reply to one of the other threads as someone will read it and reply to your concerns/questions, no worries mate we have all made the mistake. But I hope that my reply helps any other questions?
     
  5. shootist macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2011
    #5
    Simple fact is No one Knows except Apple and they aren't saying.

    Just how would anyone on this forum know what Apple is planning, when it will arrive and how much it's going to costs.
     
  6. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    #6
    Latest news says new MBPs will not be out until June. Price is almost certain to be the same. If an SSD is standard, then it will be smaller than the usual HDD. There will be some performance improvements, but I think the real question is do you need a computer now? Will whatever MBP you are looking at be good enough for your needs? How long do you want it to last?
     
  7. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 2, 2008
    #7
    Do you need the computer now? If so...get it now. The late-2011 pros are very capable machines. If you think the performance upgrades will make a noticeable difference in your daily use, then wait. But if you need it now, buy it now, enjoy it now.
     
  8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

    heisenberg123

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    Location:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    #8
    its hard to compare some thats is real with something that does not exist
     
  9. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2011
    #9
    If you buy it later, as soon as you get the new one, a year later, new MBPs will be coming out. Computers are always "obsolete" the moment you buy them. If the current MBP will suit your needs, buy it now. No sense in waiting.
     
  10. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

    dlimes13

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    Location:
    Perrysburg, OH
    #10
    Could always get an Early 2011 to save some money. Early vs. late 2011 is almost no different, just slight speed bumps.
     
  11. mark28 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    #11
    You should wait ofcourse. Laptops are all about efficiency and this is what the 2012 MBP is all about as it will be a 22nm CPU and 32nm GPU.

    Besides, you also get UBS 3.0 as a bonus which is a huge plus since the USB 3.0 devices are very cheap.
     
  12. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2010
    #12
    No one really knows what's going to roll out this summer for Macs. You can make educated guesses but they could easily be dead wrong. To be honest, if it's an option for you, I would just wait, because judging by your post, I think you'll be tormented if you don't.
     
  13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 13, 2010
    #13
    More like mid 2012...

    I doubt apple will release any new Macs before Mountain lion is released.
     
  14. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2011
    #14
  15. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #15
  16. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 2, 2008
    #16
    Ah, and then we will have a whole new group of "Should I buy the Ivy Bridge MBP or wait for Haswell?" threads :D
     
  17. baypharm macrumors 65816

    baypharm

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    #17
    Please wait for the 2016 models - they will be even better....
     
  18. j88 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2012
    #18
    I'd like to buy a MBP this year too. I would buy the top-of-the-line (17 inch, etc.) I don't *need* a computer right now but I'm going to college in September so I'd like to have one by then. However, I'd be willing to wait a couple months if it was coming out in like January 2013 (although the rumors seem to indicate it'll come out mid-2012). It makes more sense for me to wait, right?
     
  19. IngerMan, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

    IngerMan macrumors 6502a

    IngerMan

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2011
    Location:
    Michigan
    #19
    I was about to press the "Buy Now" button but became confused, what if the new model would come out in a few weeks. I went out on the back patio to ponder my decision. The pizza delivery man rang the door bell, but I never heard him. He left the pizza on the front steps because it was pre paid. I saw the pizza man driving down the road. I went to the front were a pack of wild dogs were eating my pizza. I tried grabbing a slice but they became angry and chased me. I ran and jumped a few back yard fences. I ended up in the back yard of a beautiful women in a thong bikini. She invited me into her hot tub and went topless. Her husband then showed up with a shot gun. I ran as he fired at me.

    Don't get shot at by the jealous husband. Hit the "Buy Now" button.
     
  20. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

    Krazy Bill

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2011
    #20
    Should I buy Haswell or wait for Broadwell? :eek:
     
  21. n8236 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2006
    #21
    So, are you suggesting the March 7th event will only introduce iPad 3 as the only hardware upgrade available?

    I'm in a bit of a dilemma because tomorrow is the last day for buying AppleCare for my latest gen Macbook Pro and need to know if it's worth buying given now that u suggested Apple won't refresh until mid-year.
     
  22. 1776 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2008
    #22
    Not if you're talking 15" or larger...the late 2011s have quad-core processors.
     
  23. whsbuss macrumors 68040

    whsbuss

    Joined:
    May 4, 2010
    Location:
    SE Penna.
    #23
    You can wait to see what Apple will do with the new line. Prices for current MBPs will drop and that may be the better deal if the new ones are marginally better.
     
  24. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

    dlimes13

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    Location:
    Perrysburg, OH
    #24
    So do the early 2011 ones.
     
  25. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    #25
    I would be very very surprised if the March 7 involves anything other than iPad. Intel chips aren't ready for MBPs or MBAs.
     

Share This Page