Should I buy the low-end 15" i5 or get a higher end model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by QueenFan66, Apr 17, 2010.

1. QueenFan66 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have been waiting for a long time for the new MacBook Pros with the i-series processors to be released and now they are! I will be buying one at the end of the summer when I get enough money to buy it with my Lifeguard money (I'm 15.) I have a gaming desktop at home (E8400, 4GB RAM, ATI 5770, Win7) and so I won't be using the MacBook as a main gaming rig, but I want one where I can play on the go. I will NOT buy a 13", the $1799 MacBook Pro is as low as I will go. I know that the graphics card is weak so I wont get amazing performance in games like crysis (I can get 30fps on my desktop on very high). I wonder if I would notice a huge improvement with going from the low end MBP to a higher end (like the i7), but mainly, if it is worth the money for me to spend the extra cash on it. I would like to buy a really good laptop that would last me until I get to College (3 years). I will be buying 2 256GB ssd in the future (taking out the optical drive) but I wonder if I should spend the extra money or not. Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get the base 15" as only improvement is clock speed and 1MB more cache in i7. That money is better invested on RAM and SSD

3. QueenFan66 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Nuak macrumors member

The answer is: don't waste your money, you can buy an SSD with those 400$ and get a significant boost in performance and loading times.