Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MJS1187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
Should I buy this computer or wait until after the June announcements? I currently have a Macbook 2.4 and I'm looking to upgrade. Essentially, I want to sell the Macbook and still get over $800 for it, however; I don't want upgrade at the end of the Macbook pro's cycle (according to MacRumor's buyers guide)... What do you guys think?

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Should I buy this computer or wait until after the June announcements? I currently have a Macbook 2.4 and I'm looking to upgrade. Essentially, I want to sell the Macbook and still get over $800 for it, however; I don't want upgrade at the end of the Macbook pro's cycle (according to MacRumor's buyers guide)... What do you guys think?

The selling thing is one issue man, but Im debating if I should buy or not (between MB and MBP) but im waiting till June myself.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If you need it now, go buy it don't hold back trying to "future proof" your purchase. Yes, chances are if you wait until June (Snow Leopard?) there are probably going to be spec change/bump buy nothing too extreme that will give notable increases in performance.

MJS1187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
If you need it now, go buy it don't hold back trying to "future proof" your purchase. Yes, chances are if you wait until June (Snow Leopard?) there are probably going to be spec change/bump buy nothing too extreme that will give notable increases in performance.

Yeah, do you think they will change the form factor in June? Because right now I could buy a refurb 2.88 Macbook pro for like 2.4k... That's such a good buy. I don't need it now but if I keep waiting my macbook is going to be worth less, especially after they release snow leopard

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Yeah, do you think they will change the form factor in June? Because right now I could buy a refurb 2.88 Macbook pro for like 2.4k... That's such a good buy. I don't need it now but if I keep waiting my macbook is going to be worth less, especially after they release snow leopard

I can almost guarantee it to you that the models arent changing in design. Each design remember stays around for a few years and these things just came out last fall. Spec bumps? sure, design change? no

MJS1187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
I can almost guarantee it to you that the models arent changing in design. Each design remember stays around for a few years and these things just came out last fall. Spec bumps? sure, design change? no

So... they'll probably bump the base model of the 15" macbook pro to 2.66 and make the better one 2.8. If i buy the refurb 2.8 for 2.4k now then there is really no point in waiting. Has anyone had problems with refurb macs?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The only possible change I can imagine for the 15" MBP is a matte screen, and/or a built-in battery like the 17" MBPs (although a bit smaller due to the smaller size of the 15" MBP). However, I don't know if that will happen at all. I think they may give users the matte screen, but not the battery. If Apple wanted to give the 15" MBP the built-in battery, they probably could have done it when it was introduced. It's not like Apple only thought of this idea in November 2008, after the 15" MBP was already released.

With regards to the specs, I don't think it matters if they speedbump it a bit. That's all you're likely to get next time anyway. I think the real change will come when they start using Intel's Arrandale processor, which may be in early-ish 2010. Who knows.

MJS1187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
The only possible change I can imagine for the 15" MBP is a matte screen, and/or a built-in battery like the 17" MBPs (although a bit smaller due to the smaller size of the 15" MBP). However, I don't know if that will happen at all. I think they may give users the matte screen, but not the battery. If Apple wanted to give the 15" MBP the built-in battery, they probably could have done it when it was introduced. It's not like Apple only thought of this idea in November 2008, after the 15" MBP was already released.

With regards to the specs, I don't think it matters if they speedbump it a bit. That's all you're likely to get next time anyway. I think the real change will come when they start using Intel's Arrandale processor, which may be in early-ish 2010. Who knows.

So, you would say in conclusion buying the 2.66 or 2.8 refurb right now isn't an awful idea? Have you heard of any horror stories with refurbs?

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
Refurbs are generally like new and I have never personally had an issue with refurbs. If there is a problem apple CS is great and will sort it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.