Should I buy the macbook pro 2.66?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MJS1187, Mar 31, 2009.

  1. MJS1187 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2009
    #1
    Should I buy this computer or wait until after the June announcements? I currently have a Macbook 2.4 and I'm looking to upgrade. Essentially, I want to sell the Macbook and still get over $800 for it, however; I don't want upgrade at the end of the Macbook pro's cycle (according to MacRumor's buyers guide)... What do you guys think?
     
  2. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

    illegalprelude

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2005
    Location:
    Los Angeles, California
    #2
    The selling thing is one issue man, but Im debating if I should buy or not (between MB and MBP) but im waiting till June myself.
     
  3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

    iLog.Genius

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2009
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario
    #3
    If you need it now, go buy it don't hold back trying to "future proof" your purchase. Yes, chances are if you wait until June (Snow Leopard?) there are probably going to be spec change/bump buy nothing too extreme that will give notable increases in performance.
     
  4. MJS1187 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2009
    #4
    Yeah, do you think they will change the form factor in June? Because right now I could buy a refurb 2.88 Macbook pro for like 2.4k... That's such a good buy. I don't need it now but if I keep waiting my macbook is going to be worth less, especially after they release snow leopard
     
  5. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

    illegalprelude

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2005
    Location:
    Los Angeles, California
    #5
    I can almost guarantee it to you that the models arent changing in design. Each design remember stays around for a few years and these things just came out last fall. Spec bumps? sure, design change? no
     
  6. MJS1187 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2009
    #6
    So... they'll probably bump the base model of the 15" macbook pro to 2.66 and make the better one 2.8. If i buy the refurb 2.8 for 2.4k now then there is really no point in waiting. Has anyone had problems with refurb macs?
     
  7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #7
    The only possible change I can imagine for the 15" MBP is a matte screen, and/or a built-in battery like the 17" MBPs (although a bit smaller due to the smaller size of the 15" MBP). However, I don't know if that will happen at all. I think they may give users the matte screen, but not the battery. If Apple wanted to give the 15" MBP the built-in battery, they probably could have done it when it was introduced. It's not like Apple only thought of this idea in November 2008, after the 15" MBP was already released.


    With regards to the specs, I don't think it matters if they speedbump it a bit. That's all you're likely to get next time anyway. I think the real change will come when they start using Intel's Arrandale processor, which may be in early-ish 2010. Who knows.
     
  8. MJS1187 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2009
    #8
    So, you would say in conclusion buying the 2.66 or 2.8 refurb right now isn't an awful idea? Have you heard of any horror stories with refurbs?
     
  9. shoppy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2007
    Location:
    Hants
    #9
    Refurbs are generally like new and I have never personally had an issue with refurbs. If there is a problem apple CS is great and will sort it out.
     

Share This Page