Should I buy the Macbook Pro now or wait until next year.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by syedhussain, Apr 25, 2011.

  1. syedhussain macrumors member

    Nov 12, 2010
    I heard that they will redesign the pro for next year. I am starting college in the Fall of 2011 and I am not really in a rush to purchase one until atleast August of 2012. Should I drop $1500 on a pro now, or wait until next year when they step up the MBP game.

    My worries are that if I drop 1500$ on a MBP now, my laptop will be considered outdated next year as opposed to the brand new designed MBP.

    My other worries are that if i wait until next year for the new MBP, there will be a lot of glitches with the actual computer.

    I was also looking forward to the back to school sale that apple was planning to do in may-august.

    thanks in advance for your advice.
  2. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    If you need it now, then buy it. If you don't or can't even buy one yet, then wait. I wouldn't wait because of redesign or any other feature. Those are just rumors and you may be disappointed. MBPs were just updated so buying one now is a good choice.
  3. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

    Jun 17, 2007
    You should buy it in 2020. I heard they're coming with the new MBP that has so many new features.

    Just wait couple more years.
  4. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

    Feb 23, 2011
    rule of thumb for technology of any kind: do you need it now? then get it. if not then wait.

    technology will never see a time when it cant be called outdated, there will always be something better buy what does the job for you when you need or want it.

    And yes when a new product is released especially a redesign there is a risk of bugs/glitches/issues apple has the best customer service so people dont tend to worry as much since they will be taken care of. will the 2011 have all the kinks worked out in a year probably, will the 2012 have bugs maybe.
  5. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

    Feb 23, 2011
    man nah wait til 2040 they will jsut install your macbook into your brain haha :D
  6. syedhussain thread starter macrumors member

    Nov 12, 2010
    lol 2040 it is.

    The deal is, i am willing and able to buy it now, but if waiting a few months for a big difference in the design is worth it, i am willing to wait.
  7. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    We are most likely talking about Q1 2012 refresh, that is quite a few months away.
  8. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 29, 2011
    The MBPs were just updated 2 months ago. It will be longer than a few months wait. Early 2012, probably end of February or Early March just like the update that just happened. If you can wait till 2012 then wait. I just bought a 2011 a month ago, and it was a very good purchase. Love the machine.
  9. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

    Feb 23, 2011
    the earliest you will see a redesign is 2012 probably in feb. when this one happened apple usually updates only yearly at 10-14 months intervals. So waiting a few months wont get you anything unless your looking for a refurb there might be a better selection. or this summer like august time lion should be out then you wont have to pay to upgrade but that is the only really benefit.
  10. scottgroovez macrumors regular

    May 20, 2010
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

    It's a tool, don't get hung up over rumours of improvements etc. Get it now and within a week it'll be like any other piece of tech. If the release was imminent I'd be patient. But nearly a year? Not worth the wait.
  11. barkomatic, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

    barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Aug 8, 2008
    You said you are in no rush--so if you already have a working computer that you can use in college then I think you should wait. Setting aside whether the MBP will be redesigned or not, why would you want to spend money you don't have to?

    I'd resist the urge to buy something now "just cuz".

    Getting back to the possible redesign--its almost a certainty for 2012 and even more certain that there will be a *lot* of hype surrounding the release. Don't be one of those people who start threads like, "How much do you think I can get for my 7 month old MBP on craigslist?" :)
  12. vincenz macrumors 601


    Oct 20, 2008
    It sounds like you don't need a new computer at all right now. I say wait until the case redesign. You're better off.
  13. aoaaron macrumors 6502

    Sep 4, 2010
    omg the mbp will look different in a year definitley wait cos otherwise u will have a laptop everyone will think is old even tho the hardware is probably much much better than u need! omg!!


    apple are genius.

    this year is for the people with brains - superb hardware update, thunderbolt etc.
    then next year they reel out a new design with few upgrades other than the mandatory but reel in all the kids who want the best looking laptop EVAR!!
  14. onthecouchagain macrumors 604


    Mar 29, 2011
    You didn't really mention what you might use your laptop for, but based on what you wrote, presumably for school use. Consider the Macbook Air after it is refreshed this year. There are rumors saying it may see a refresh in June. A MBA (with Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt) should suffice as an average school laptop.

Share This Page