Should I buy the MBA or MBP?? NOT your typical Situation...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phatjoe, Mar 3, 2008.

1. phatjoe macrumors member

Hello:

Currently I own a blackbook (2.2GHz), which I bought in December. Recently, I've been debating purchasing a MBA, or a new 15" MBP. In all honesty, I don't need a new machine. All I really do is surf, use office, and take a ton of photos, view videos. I'm probably just caught up in the apple hype :D If I buy the MBA/MBP, I'd sell my blackbook to my brother for $1k.

Here is the Scenario...
    A friend of mine (on the rich end of the spectrum) is looking to get the 17" MBP and will sell his MBA (1.8GHz, 64GB SSD) for $2,100...no joke. :eek:

Granted it's a great deal (machine is flawless). It's actually cheaper than a 15" MBP (with tax).

If you were in this situation, would you:
    1. Keep the blackbook, pocket the money for a rainy day (or next Apple update)
    2. Purchase the MBA, and put in an additional $1,100
    3. Purchase the MBP, and put in an additional $1,200

Thx,

PhatJ

2. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Do whats right for you, I would buy the 1.8/64.... or wait till summer for a new MBP

3. squaros macrumors member

squaros

I would keep the MB and wait until the inevitable redesign of the MBP. The MBA would be nice... as a second computer.

4. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

I would keep the current macbook.

It's pretty much inbetween both machine you're talking about so stick with it until newer, better hardware comes out later this year.

5. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

6. phatjoe thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it's a killer price. I was thinking of purchasing it and selling in the summer before the updates (that is, if there is an update). I would guess that a used MBA 1.8Ghz/64GB SSD would be going for around $2k, so I wouldn't lose to much.

Ahhhh decisions :(:p

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I bet you could profit off of that 2,100 asking price. :D Turn it around and sell it on Craiglist or ebay for 2,500.

8. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

Look at it this way, whatever you do and you are unhappy you can always sell it again. If you got the air and decided it was not for you, sell it in the summer and get the MBP. That way you will get the best of all worlds and will have tried all the notebooks to see which you like best. You will be happy with your final purchase as you will know for sure that is what you want.

9. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

MBP is definitely a more versatile only computer. MBA is a great lightweight portable computer. I think HDD size would be the first thing that would drive you crazy with the MBA and you would eventually be lugging around a portable HDD. MBA is sexy, light and portable (I have one) but if you really want to change out I would recommend the MBP for you and get a big HDD on it. The MB is fine for your needs and changing would only be for a change so unless you are dead set on it, keep the MB.

10. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

11. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I would buy the MBA at $2100 that's a great price. You could always keep it for a few months until a newer MBP comes out and sell the Air for a profit still at that time. I got the new MBP and I think it's great, but it's all up to you.

12. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Agreed with this. The MBA is a good price, but $2100 is still a lot of money.

13. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

not common but i was in the EXACT situtation.

i had a 2.2ghz blackbook, and then sold it and bought a 1.6/80 MBA from my brother.

after less than two weeks i put it up on this board for sale and bought the new Penryn 2.4ghz MBP

I love this thing soo much more!

the MBA is cute, works awesome, great on the wrists because of the thinness..

but the MBP has better proformance, and you can get it in MATTE, i use this thing in class all day, and the MATTE saves my eyes, with the glossy from the Blackbook all you see is the lights in the classroom & yourself when set to low brightness so you can save battery.

While the MBA screen is way better than the MB screen, it is still glossy. not to mention being able to play TF2 uber smoothly on the MBP and still being thin... not to mention the MBP has prety nice speakers for a laptop.

Well....
    MBP 2.4 penryn is only $1799 with education discount, thats under 2k with tax

--Save money and buy something better while your at it... MBP

14. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I'd go for the Air if the hard drive space isn't an issue.. my iPhoto library is 32GB - so if you really take alot of photos you might be limited (or need to start carring an external drive everywhere).

the price is excellent, and you'd be able to sell it at the same price you paid months from now...

15. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Keep macbook
    buy MBA
    sell MBA on ebay
    put money towards a new MBP whenever you want to buy it

16. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Hmm.. with that price for the MBA I would get it. Buy the MBA and sell your Blackbook. If do not like the MBA you can also sell it and most likely you will get a profit of at least your money back. From there you can buy another blackbook or MBP or any other laptop you may want to try.

-JoE

17. 6th macrumors newbie

Sounds like a plan

18. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

A fourth choice

I know you didn't list this, but here's another option that maybe you haven't considered:

Apple is selling clearance last gen 15" MBPs for $1499

I would put in the $400 for the bigger screen, dedicated graphics card and better resale value.

OR

Get the MBA for an extra $1100, sell it for probably about $2500 = total $700 net down and then get the middle MBP (so you're paying $700 to get the MBP).. but honestly, it's not worth $300 for the difference between the last gen model and this one, but that's your choice...