Should I buy the new 4th generation iPad or wait until next year's iPad5?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by timcullis, Oct 24, 2012.

1. timcullis macrumors member

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...ighter-thinner-97-ipad-as-quickly-as-possible

2. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Wait until the iPad 5 is released next quarter.

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

You should wait until it shows up on the refurb store, and buy it from there.

4. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

i'm more interested in the 4 than the mini

i'll sell it when the 5 comes out

5. bova80 macrumors 6502a

except this probably won't be the case.

why do people ask questions what they should do? it's your choice.

6. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I'm gonna trade in each model for the newest. :)

7. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

If you are a first time buyer go for it.

If you are moving from an iPad 1 or 2 go for it.

If you have a 3rd gen I say wait unless you are a hardcore gamer that MUST have the perf boost.

Most of us wont notice the difference in speed (web browsing, email, movies, casual games, etc...) and I predict that sometime between May/June 2013 we will see the new iPad with thinner design, casing ala iPhone 5/mini with white and black back, possible CPU boost again.

I would also say around this time we get the 2nd gen mini with Retina and 6X chip. I would suspect the mini will always be one gen behind in CPU speed as to not kill the big brother iPad sales.

8. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

10. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I posted in jest. :p

11. irDigital0l Guest

Wait for the 6th gen...its going to be better than the 5th gen.

12. Ntran macrumors member

Nope, wait for the 7th gen, which would be much better than the 6th one....or hold on...wait for.... keep waiting

13. irDigital0l Guest

yayy

lol

Or hold on forever and never upgrade due to fear of upgrading.

upgradephobia

14. koban4max macrumors 68000

apple is seriously getting ridiculous. I expected Apple to be full of confidence and innovate rather than being insecure in the marketing. Just because MS surface is about come to out... Apple needs to focus on new products.

15. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

Get a refurb'd 3. Sell it when the 5th gen comes out. You'll take a minimum loss and get to have an iPad for a Year ;)... or a quarter of a year :D

16. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Im going to wait for the 12th generation iPad... When Apple introduces the 3D icons and hologram keyboard... Also we will see transparent screen

17. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

Personally I have the iPad 3, I am going to buy the until the iPad five comes out. I don't think the iPad 4 is that much of an update.

18. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I will never understand why anyone would ask others to make this choice for them but then . . . . . :p

19. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

As a general rule I take what analysts say with a pinch of salt, often they predict what is inevitable. However, although the iPad 4 got a processor boost what it didn't get is any advance in the screen technology such as the new touch sensors of the iPhone 5 which reduced thickness. Given Apples obsession with thinness and that the iPad3/4 is thicker than the iPad 2 I would not be surprised, come March/April, we see another revision which makes the iPad thinner with updated screen and battery technology.

20. jigzaw macrumors 6502

Dargy! I'm planning on getting my first iPad in the near future and yesterday I'd decided to jump in with the 4, but if this is true, I might hesitate because I would love if it weighed a bit less.

They should call it the "iPad 4 months". Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, IPAD 5!!! Would they really do that? That just seems preposterous.

21. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

if this were any other case OP i would say why wait since products get updated more regularly, but in this case i can't see apple keeping the same shell for another year.

eventually it will get back down to the iPad 2 size and probably look more in style like the back of an iphone 5 or the mini iPad.

22. bobbba macrumors regular

Trader who wants apple stock to do better:

Leak to tech sites:
    "There are supply/manufacture problems for the display/glass/case for the next iphone/ipad meaning that availability will be limited"

Trader who wants apple stock to do worse:

Leak to tech sites:
    "There's a new one with better features coming out in a few months"

23. whitesand macrumors regular

If you want one buy the new one now so you can enjoy it because you may very well end up waiting longer than you expect....The analysts get release dates wrong all the time especially speculating on the next one this far in advance...The new chip will be more than enough to keep performance ahead of the competition till next fall.....