Should I buy the new FCPX?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DaFrick, Jun 22, 2011.

1. DaFrick macrumors newbie

So Final Cut Pro X came out yesterday and I havent heard a lot of good news about it. on the app store its getting crushed by reviewers saying that it doesnt support 3rd party effects or fcp7 files. while this sucks ( and shame on apple for messing up like that) i dont have or use many effects and I dont need to load any older fcp files. what i really want to know is, there any other key features missing? is it worth the $300? thank in advance :apple:

2. Nikh macrumors regular

Wait for a while and read comments at Mac App Store. Each day there are new ones with 1-2 stars :)
    It seems, that FCP at Mac App Store is really cut version of the older one, designed for less professional users. As far as I know olders version cost more than $1000, so for $300 you should not expect the full version.

3. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

FCP X should be called iMovie Pro, or at minimum EX FCP. Bought it, can't use it, trashed it. I've been editing for a living for about 8 years and in my opinion there is no future for FCP X in the professional world.

4. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Apple has removed all the FCP X comments in the Mac App store.

5. SumDumGuy macrumors regular

Incorrect.

6. KiraDouji macrumors member

KiraDouji

From the reviews I've read contemplating similar, FCPX can be used if you have a digital workflow, intend to do the grand majority of your work in FCP, don't need to collaborate, and don't need multi-cam or plug-ins.

Basically, if you could do it in Premiere Pro, then yes it's fine to purchase.

Without getting too pedantic about, it seems as though the people who really shouldn't use this release are companies/pros who need to work with tapes, send output for sound and color processing, and/or require multi-cam for an efficient workflow. If that doesn't apply to you, then from everything I've read, it's actually a great program.

TLDR;
    Pro-sumers = Go
    Pros = No

:apple:

7. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I couldn't agree more. FCP X is absolutely fantastic. It's amazing, stunning, revolutionary, and just plain cool.

However, it's no longer a complete tool for everyone. A lot of "pro" features have been dropped.

For example, multi-camera editing is gone. So, despite how thrilled I am by what I've seen from the new version, I'm not going to buy it until (if?) this feature is added. I simply can't do my work without mutli-clip editing. Everything I shoot is from multiple cameras.

But that's just me. The other dropped "pro" features either don't matter to me, or are made up for with the good things they've done. Read through the comments, find out what's missing, and ask yourself how important those items are to your workflow.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

There are many articles out there suggesting this is a version to get people used to the new work flow, and updates will be coming. I honestly can't imagine Apple screwing their whole user base. A complete rewrite of software takes a lot of time and many people don't realize that bringing something like Final Cut and redoing it completely under the hood with the small team of software engineers that Apple has is going to take a very long time.

See this release as a preview that will get more upgrades.

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

What is multi-camera editing anyways? This reminds of when Numbers came out and people complained about no error bars. Is multi-camera editing a silly feature like that or is it really a major thing?

10. TheTraveller macrumors newbie

Im not sure what to do either, I help off from buying FCS 3 when I heard there was a new version coming in June. Now what I will be using it for is things such as some events, weddings, possibly some corporate/studio work, and short film production. We use at two cameras for these shoots outside of short film making.

Im thinking of just going with Studio 3 off ebay, and wait until my system is no longer working for me (early 08 mac pro), and then upgrade my system to a high end imac for FCP X with a thunderbolt external hard drive raid solution or something.

Or I could bite the bullet and start with FCP X, but would have to upgrade my video card. But it would proberly be more future proof.

11. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

As a prosumer, I'm happy with it. Still needs some learning, with its quirks and all that comes with it.

12. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Agreed, I'm getting my refund for it.

13. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Yes, it's misleading to call this application Final Cut Pro, there's nothing "Pro" about it.

14. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

FCP7 will be home for many of us for the next few years. If you want to get paid as an editor in the future it would serve you better to learn FCP7 then X. I honestly can't see any real post facility incorporating FCPX into their pipeline...well cause FCPX doesn't connect to pipelines...at all.

15. jjhoekstra macrumors regular

No way should you buy it now! I was stupid enough to do so. It crashes every 10 minutes or so (if you do more complicated work). Reminds me of the good old days of Adobe Premiere on a RT2500 card on a PC 10 years ago. Crash after crash after crash... But at least that PC compressed faster than FCPX!!

SO WAIT!!!

16. Nikh macrumors regular

It would be interesting to see statistics of refunds for Final Cut Pro. However, not all people know that they can receive refund for almost any application at Mac/iOS App Store, that just needs some time and explanation why you want the refund.

17. damson34 macrumors 6502