Resolved Should I buy the new iPad now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by harryisere, Aug 30, 2012.

1. harryisere, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

harryisere macrumors newbie

Hey people! Forgive me if this is in the wrong place as I am new to the forum.

To keep it short, over the past few months I've decided that I want an iPad. I already own various Apple products including an iMac and a 4S, so the iPad would fit right in with my set up. The iPad will primarily be used a little for college and at home.

My dilemma is this. I'm not sure wether to buy the 3rd (current) generation iPad or wait for the 4th generation.

What would your advice be?

I have heard that the 4th generation could be a 'mini' iPad. If this is the case I am not interested at all. I really don't see the point of a mini version. What i'm trying to understand is the likelihood that the 4th Gen iPad will be of the same size, but contain better hardware and perhaps a slightly different design.

£479 ($759.5) is a lot of money to spend on a device, only to find that Apple release a new 4th generation with better hardware in a months time (as speculated). When do you think the 4th generation will be released?

One of the things attracting me to purchasing an iPad 3 now, is that Apple offer a free £35 gift card for students. I myself am a college student and would be entitled to this offer.

I've decided that if I were to purchase the current iPad, I would probably get the 32GB model.

Anyway, if you were in my shoes, or maybe you are, and you were deciding which iPad to get, what would you do?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Harry.

2. Liquinn Suspended

You could buy the iPad third gen now, and sell it when the fourth generation comes out next year.

This is what I posted in another thread:

The iPad third generation was refreshed 176 days ago. The average refresh cycle in days is 352...

352 take away 176 days is 172.

Meaning it's at half it's refresh cycle now.

Today is August 30, 2012 so that means that 176 days from today would be February 22, 2013.

3. harryisere thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I've just been researching the refresh cycle times. Looks like perhaps a mini iPad could be launched this October, with a refreshed full size iPad coming next Match. And I suppose I do have the options to sell it.....hmm still deciding :(

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

Get it and be done with it! You won't regret it.

5. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i would wait. the iPad 4 is almost here. just wait.

6. harryisere thread starter macrumors newbie

If I could be sure that it would be an upgrade to the current iPad then I would wait. As it looks like it's going to be a 'mini' version, I really don't see the point.

Surely making the iPad smaller would make playing games and watching movies less enjoyable on a smaller screen. I could see the mini iPad being good for checking emails and perhaps web browsing but that's it tbh.

7. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

even if they do make a "mini" iPad, it won't have any effect on the current one. Just like the iPod touch doesnt change the iPhone. Honestly, just get the iPad and enjoy it. if you don't you'll always just wait for the next. When the "new" iPad comes out next spring the 3rd gen will work just as well as it does now.

8. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

I agree with others who say that you should just get it. Six months is not "almost here". If you'd have use for it during those six months, then arguably, any depreciation (the difference between what you buy it for and what you'll be able to sell it for, if you want to sell it and upgrade to the next iPad) will simply be paying for those six months of use. And, unless you're planning on having the iPad sit on your coffee table as a high tech, expensive coffee table book, I'd think that it'd be worth it.

9. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Basically, there is NO logical reason for you to wait. Unless they develop a monster power house iPad, the incremental update will not affect your current useage, meaning the iPad2 and the current iPad are almost interchangeable in what they offer (other than the screen). I could do anything on the 2nd gen that I can do on this one.

Take advantage of your student and gift cards etc. The next "the new iPad" is so far away that there are not even hints of rumours on it.

10. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

LMAO ! People who are suggesting iPad-4 is almost there !! Are you guys Nuts ? is 6 months considered "almost there" maybe you guys need to understand what are days, what are months and how long duration 6 months period is. It is way...way too far...There aren't even rumors of it as of now ! :rolleyes:

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I would wait a little longer.

The phone is going to get launched, and perhaps, a few weeks later the iPad mini.

We know the phone will have the new small dock/connector.
    Obviously the iPad mini will have the same new connector.

There might, just might be a chance of a tiny spec change to the current iPad to change it over to the new connector at the same time to bring all three products in line as soon as possible.

12. Furifo macrumors 6502

Why wait for the 4th generation when the 5th generation will probably be available in 12 months time? The 5th generation will be better than the 4th generation so you might as well wait.

Do you see what I'm trying to get at? It is almost impossible to stay up-to-date with the latest tech these days. What you buy is inevitably going to be outdated.

I needed a new phone a few weeks ago but I thought I would wait for the next generation iPhone. There is a huge difference between 'a few weeks' and SIX MONTHS.

I highly doubt that there will be a refresh of the current generation iPad this year. I expect Apple will stick to their 1 year update cycle.

Exactly this time last year I bought an iPad 2. 6 months down the line, the iPad 3, with a superior screen + LTE was released. Was I upset? No. I had made great use out of my iPad 2 in those 6 months and didn't regret my decision one bit.

If you feel like you're going to make extensive use out of an iPad and you have the option to buy it now then don't even think about waiting 6 months for a new iPad. Just pull the trigger, buy one tomorrow and smile using you're new iDevice :)

13. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

I wouldn't be troubled at all. Buy an iPad 3 now if you really want it. If you were going to wait for the 4th gen iPad, the initial release will keep you waiting on a preorder, and the first batch of new iPads will likely have issues. As of this day, the iPad 3 has pretty much been quality checked over the last few months. Take a look at some of the topics here on this site that talk about the iPad 3's with a "DY" in the serial number. People are reporting they have no problems with discoloration, light bleeding, etc. I'd say go for it, but do wait a bit on the dock connector, to see if the iPad 3 will indeed get a tiny update there.

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

There have been several reports that along with the iPad Mini announcement, there will be updates of Apple iDevices across the board getting updated ports/connectors to the new smaller 8/9 pin connector. I would wait just to see about that. Apple (obviously) doesn't change it much, so while everything is update for the next few years, you'd be left with one of the last devices without the new port (or have to buy a $15 dongle).

-WMT

15. Vapor matt macrumors regular

I would get it now and enjoy the iPad 3 as its very good, my son has a ipad2 a late one and apart from screen res its just as fast it seems, so go with the iPad 3 and you can get the forever new one at a later date.

The problem with hardware is it will always be superseded by newer tech, the new ipad is always round the corner iam afraid. and as said above some early iPad 3s had some quality issues but current models are fine and look fantastic and sometimes half way through is a better time to buy.

Good luck, iam sure you will enjoy it!

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

No, you are being silly now.

Indeed if there was no hint of anything till next March then fair enough, but rumours are that, perhaps, just perhaps something may happen in the next few weeks, so why not wait those few weeks just in case?

Not waiting 6 months or a year, just a few weeks.

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Just buy an iPad 2 to save money and wait for next new iPad 4 next year. the new iPad is not great…too heavy to hold and tad warm on the back of the new iPad. when an iPad 4 comes out next year you can sell an iPad 2. :apple:

ipad 4 will have new LG/Sharp display, better battery, and thinner design.

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

OP, you should understand that when people say the new iPad is heavier, warmer, thicker, etc., they're simply comparing it to other iPads. More importantly, the degree of difference is negligible. (I know b/c My wife has the iPad 2 and i have thenew iPad). It's only 50 grams heavier :eek:, only a few degrees warmer :eek: and only millimeters thicker:confused::eek::mad::(

So just be sure you take our advices with a grain of salt. Mmmkay?:D

19. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Wonder If Apple has given you a Job here to leak this information...

20. chuges macrumors member

Don't wait for the next ipad in March 2013 - the current model is incredible and you'll get a lot of use out of it in the next 6 months.

But wait 2 weeks to see if they announce the same ipad but with a newer dock connector.

21. harryisere thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

I just purchased a white 32GB model from the Apple store. Should arrive Tuesday/Wednesday! Can't wait!

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Great and congrats! Please mark this thread as "Resolved" to avoid more people piling on pointless posts after the fact.

----------

And don't forget to update your forum signature. :D

23. harryisere, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

harryisere thread starter macrumors newbie

Now resolved.

24. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I think you will love it!

25. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

you made a very good decision, i hope you enjoy your iPad plus it's cool because iOS 6 comes soon:)