Should I Buy the New MacBook Pro with Retina Display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmine83, Jun 19, 2012.

  1. jmine83 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2011
    #1
    I wasn't planning on this originally, but all the evidence in my life at present seems to strongly suggest that I need to jump on buying the newly released MacBook Pro 15 in. with Retina Display and 512 GB Flash Storage. I am looking for constructive feedback on this major decision.

    Currently, I own a 2010 model MacBook Pro 17 in. with Antiglare Screen, 500 GB Storage, and 2.66 GHz Core i7 CPU. It's been a great computer and I admit I haven't had any problems with it. If I have to be honest with myself, however, I forsee no reason, in the practical application and usage sense, why for the next three years this would continue to be a fine computer for my purposes. The only critical reason I can think of that I should feel uneasy about keeping my 2010 MacBook Pro for the next three years is if some random, unpredictable hardware failure does occur that would suddenly force me to buy a new MacBook Pro at a time when I likely wouldn't have the money to do so. I did not buy the AppleCare extended warranty, so admittedly I am not under warranty anymore from Apple.

    I am a computer engineering student who is projected to graduate with my bachelor's degree in 2015. I currently have a substantial amount of savings in my pocession. Enough savings such that even if I didn't work for the next year while going to school full-time, by the end of the year I would likely only have maybe $1000 or less. Regardless, however, I definitely plan to secure a part-time job before the start of this Fall semester in late August. Also, mind you this does not account for the potential substantial amount of money that I might get in February 2013 during tax season. I am aware of the Education Credit that I could claim under Form 8863 and I should be able to claim the purchase of a new MacBook Pro as credit and get a partial refund for it. Also, I should note the next tax season is the "last" year that I would be able to claim Education Credit. That being said, is one of the main primary reasons I feel strongly compelled to buy the new MacBook Pro now because I forsee that I won't be able to afford to buy another Mac at least until 2015.

    I live in Utah and we have a chain of Mac Stores called "Simply Mac". I have already been promised $1150 of in-store credit by trading in my 2010 MacBook Pro for the new 2012 model. They are also able to give me the $200 student discount but "only" if I buy AppleCare through them for only $80. Compared to the value of AppleCare through Apple for $350 I believe, and easily to me that seems like a bargain. It solves the dilemma of feeling uneasy about the condition of my computer for the next three years. And my technical intuition in the matter tells me that an all flash-hardware based computer will likely be substantially more stable and last a long time.

    That all being said, so the final question comes down to: to buy or not to buy the 2012 MacBook Pro? I will also say this. That in comparing all the variations on the new 2012 line of MacBook Pros, only the most high-end that comes with 512 GB flash storage will do. Going with one of the lesser SATA hard-drive models to me is not a substantial enough improvement over the 2010 models. And the flash storage model that has only 256 GB is not enough storage. So, after calculating the numbers involving the in-store credit value of my current 2010 MacBook Pro, the cost of the 2012 MacBook Pro with education discount, cost of AppleCare, and sales tax; I came up with me having to spend $1777 out of my own savings. OR, I risk keeping my 2010 MacBook Pro for the next three years and hoping it doesn't suddenly die on me in that time.

    What do you guys think I should do?
     
  2. Southernboyj, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012

    Southernboyj macrumors 68000

    Southernboyj

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2012
    Location:
    Mobile, AL
    #2
    Wayy to much of a wall of text for me to read, however.. I've been debating on getting the rMBP for about 4 days now. Today I was able to test one out in a Best Buy for about 20 minutes. I am definitely set on it now.
     
  3. ljx718 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    #3
    Goes on and on about stuff that's not relevant.

    Could've just said that he needs to bring 1777 after the trade in of his MacBook pro and he's only thinking about it because he's worried about a hardware failure down the road
     
  4. -tWv-, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

    -tWv- macrumors 68000

    -tWv-

    Joined:
    May 11, 2009
    Location:
    Ohio
    #4
    IMO, if you have the money to get it and you are getting that much store credit for trading in your old one, then I would go for it. Just make sure to try out the retina in the store for a while and make sure you like it and it is a good choice for you.

    Going for the new Mac is probably a better bet anyways because you will have AppleCare with this purchase which will ensure that you can get it fixed anytime in the next three years if a problem arises. Taking a chance on your older Mac without AppleCare seems like a bad idea, especially with a college student's budget.
     
  5. zerotiu macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #5
    hardware failure? meh..
    I guess I'm lucky. I use 2008 early MBP, that's for coding, photoshop, making movies, msOffice stuffs, travels. No hardware failure. I replaced the battery feb 2012.

    Hardware failure is not the reason. but with that big discount, I say go with it.
     
  6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

    -tWv-

    Joined:
    May 11, 2009
    Location:
    Ohio
    #6
    I've had the same "luck" with my macs. Really haven't had an issue because of the build quality of all apple products. But even so, it's always better to have a backup plan in case anything goes wrong.
     
  7. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2009
    #7
    potential hardware failure and basing a near $3K purchase on some really minor tax refund is stupid. don't bother getting it. you clearly have absolutely no real reason to get one.

    your current mbp is WAY more repairable than the RMBP.

    if you want to be even more in debt, go for it.
     

Share This Page