Should I buy the new MBP or wait for snow leopard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shizzie, Apr 24, 2009.

  1. shizzie macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2009
    #1
    Title says it all; I'm planning on getting a new MBP 15' for school next semester (this will also be my first Mac), but some of my friends are telling me I should wait, as snow leopard will be released soon.
    What would you guys suggest?
     
  2. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

    Old Muley

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    Titletown USA
    #2
    If by next semester, you the fall, then you're more likely to see machines shipping with Snow Leopard pre-installed. Unless you really need the new laptop by a date certain, I'd wait. Right now that's my plan.
     
  3. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
    #3
    If you need it now get it now, you can always upgrade later!
     
  4. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #4
    If you don't need the computer now, it'll be better to wait; who knows you may pick up a free iPod or something during the summer.
     
  5. kolax macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    #5
    Wait, as come September Apple will have the Back To School promotion, so you can pick up a free iPod or whatever it is they'll be giving away this time.

    And by then, Snow Leopard should be out, and there is a rumour the 15" MacBook Pro might see an update at WWDC in June and get an OLED screen.
     
  6. magamo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    #6
    If I were you, I'd get a new MBP right now. It's going to be your first Mac, so you may need some time to get used to the new OS and apps. Also, if Snow Leopard is like other major updates, upgrading from Leopard should be easy and straightforward. I bought a MB just before Leopard was released, and I don't regret it. It's up to you, though.
     
  7. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2008
    #7
    Ya like stated before either buy now this instant because anything from now until the release of mobile Nehalem chips will not be worth the wait IMO.

    If you don't need it till this fall, then you can either choose to buy around september and get a free iPod or wait till november/december(ish) when we may see a pretty significant update to Nehalem based processors.
     
  8. shizzie thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2009
    #8
    I don't really need the laptop immediately, although I am talking some online classes this summer before I go to my university, I have another pc I could do them on.
    If I was to buy one now, how much would it cost to update to snow leopard when it comes out? That’s my only major concern.
     
  9. MikhailT macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2007
    #9
    As a student, you can pick it up at a huge discount ($10-20) or free depending on your school's deal with apple.

    Normally, the retail price is 129$. Student discount i think would drop it down to 69$ at certain apple store. Check with your school's book store they should let you know.

    As for buying. I suggest waiting til last min, you never know what can come out in the next 6 months, plus the Apple's usual Education sale coming soon.
     
  10. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #10
    I would not just wait for Snow Leopard. We haven't heard any recent rumors about release date. It could be October or November for all we know.

    I would wait based on the latest rumors for a June MBP update. It could be really worth the wait, as I would assume the new MBP will have the new battery. In my opinion, any speed bump updates would be minor, but nearly doubling the battery life would be big news. A lot of people have bought the 17" MBP just for the extended battery power.

    Definitely worth the wait, definitely. I would be shocked if the next 15" MBPs and MBAs don't have the new battery tech. It's a real advantage to buy the high end MBP over MB. Maybe even the MB would get it???

    Anyone out there think the next MBP update does not include new battery tech?
     
  11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #11
    If you need it now, buy it now. If you don't, then wait.
     
  12. niuniu macrumors 68020

    niuniu

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Location:
    A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    #12
    I'm waiting for SL.. don't really need to buy a new MBP, I just really want one :eek:
     
  13. t0mat0 macrumors 603

    t0mat0

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location:
    Home
    #13
    If you need a computer and can't hold off, get one now. You have options to resell and upgrade later. You might be best thinking about hardware, rather than OS - current MBPs will run Snow Leopard fine so you could just upgrade. However,there is potential for a serious improvement due to the move from Penryn to Nehalem - we're waiting on Clarksfield announcements and Arrandale announcements - one summer time, one autumn. Apple will be lkely providing more optimal hardware soon - 3.0 BT to interact with the future iPhone, for example, better graphics capability for GCD etc.
     
  14. Illicit macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 14, 2007
    Location:
    Waterloo, ON
    #14
    :D I'm in the same situation as you. I don't recommend buying a new one and then reselling it when Snow Leopard comes out though. Not worth the hassle imo.
     
  15. shizzie thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2009
    #15
    I guess I'll wait, I dont really need one till i go back to my university anyway. I just hope this money doesnt burn a hole in my pocket before then >.>.
     
  16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #16
    Exactly; if you need it, buy it now, and you can always sell it later. If you merely want it, then I suggest you wait until the start of the new academic year at the very least.

    Cheers and good luck
     
  17. macgrl macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    #17
    I would get it now if I needed it and then just upgrade when snow leopard comes out. :)
     
  18. packgrad2000 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2007
    #18
    Remember, first versions of an OS typically have lots of issues anyway. I got Leopard the weekend it came out, and there were a few headaches being an early adopter. Being 10.5.6 now, it's a much more mature OS and 3rd party vendors have had plenty of time to update by now. So you might not even want SL right when it first comes out (I think I'll probably wait for reviews and at least a .3 or so update).
     
  19. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2008
    #19
    That's what I would like to do but temptation and excitement will probably get to me and I'll probably end up being a early adopter again.
     
  20. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #20
    I'm also thinking a significant HDD bump and new GPUs.
     
  21. Sn0wball macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    Location:
    England
    #21
    Could OLED and Nehalem be a possibility for MBP at the WWDC, or do you think these would be completely out of the question?

    The last keynote in January did say, quote, "the best was yet to come".
     
  22. macDonalds macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #22
    Anyone think a website devoted to this question for Apple products would be successful?
     
  23. JCastro macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2008
    #23
    That is pretty much what this site is...:rolleyes:
     
  24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #24
    Neither exist, so no, neither will happen.
     
  25. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2009
    #25
    OLED doesn't exist???
     

Share This Page