Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gutiinthebooty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Im debating whether to buy this newly updated retina 15" MBP or wait until next year? Any thoughts?

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
late 2008 iMac. So pretty much anything will be an upgrade at this point. But I kinda do not want to buy the MBP if something gamechanging will come out with the next version.

Apple will probably redesign the MBP for the 14nm CPU's in the next lineup and include things like USB C, etc.

But that's far off, probably late/mid 2016.

Just get one now, or see if you can get a good deal on a Mid 2014 rMBP.

gutiinthebooty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Apple will probably redesign the MBP for the 14nm CPU's in the next lineup and include things like USB C, etc.

But that's far off, probably late/mid 2016.

Just get one now, or see if you can get a good deal on a Mid 2014 rMBP.

Well, I'm planning on buying this next one in the hopes it lasts the next 5+ years. Im looking at the 15" MBP ($3199) or the 5k iMac ($3,599). I like the MBP but I am unsure if I should wait on that. The iMac seems like the better value considering the RELATIVELY similar price points.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Well, I'm planning on buying this next one in the hopes it lasts the next 5+ years. Im looking at the 15" MBP ($3199) or the 5k iMac ($3,599). I like the MBP but I am unsure if I should wait on that. The iMac seems like the better value considering the RELATIVELY similar price points.

Are you maxing those out? I'd be tempted to get a 5k but I just know that I won't always sit at my desk.

gutiinthebooty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Are you maxing those out? I'd be tempted to get a 5k but I just know that I won't always sit at my desk.

at those price points, the macbook pro is maxed out. The 5k iMac is all maxed out except for the drive drive (at this price point, it is configured with the 3tb fusion drive. 1tb flash is the most expensive).

Spec wise, the iMac is obviously more appealing. But in terms of value at the relative price points, I am not sure which is the better buy (and am still deciding on which would be right for me). So I am gauging what other people's opinion would be.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
I look at it this way.

This is the last and perfected version of this design.
It´s tweaked, tested and proven.
You know what you get.

The next version will be a RevA/01 = Welcome to beta testing 101.

Rev01 of 15 retina: not that great.
Rev01 of 13 retina: horrible. Redesign/pricedrop for rev2.
Rev01 of Macbook Air: Quite horrible. Redesign/pricedrop for rev2.

Rev01 for the new Macbook: Slow.. And a lot of guesses for a slight redesign (more ports) and price drop for rev02.

This is from memory so might not be 100% accurate but I think you get my point: The next one might not be all that great :)

..So, get this one or wait for the 2017 model :)

gutiinthebooty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2015
I look at it this way.

You know what you get.

Rev01 for the new Macbook: Slow.. And a lot of guesses for a slight redesign (more ports) and price drop for rev02.

This is from memory so might not be 100% accurate but I think you get my point: The next one might not be all that great :)

VERY good point. I forgot about that. I often do that with their other products. I'm sold now in that regard. Thanks.

Now to decide on whether I want the iMac or rMBP (personal preference i know, but am curious to know what others think)...

----------

I guess Im just wondering:

Will the maxed out retina 15" MBP be enough to last the next 5+ years in terms of specs. Or should I just buy the beefier 5k iMac? I have wanted the portability of a laptop, but if it won't last over the next 5 years, then I'd want the desktop.

Thanks for your opinions.

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
VERY good point. I forgot about that. I often do that with their other products. I'm sold now in that regard. Thanks.

Now to decide on whether I want the iMac or rMBP (personal preference i know, but am curious to know what others think)...

----------

Will the maxed out retina 15" MBP be enough to last the next 5+ years in terms of specs. Or should I just buy the beefier 5k iMac? I have wanted the portability of a laptop, but if it won't last over the next 5 years, then I'd want the desktop.

If you plan to use the machine in multiple locations, then the rMBP is the better option. The chances of a rMBP lasting five years are better than any Windows laptop out there, especially with the SSD inside.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013

----------

The maxed out 15" is a total waste. The 2,8 is like 4% faster than the 2,5. Outside of geek bench there is probably little to no use for that extra speed :)

The 5K i7 is about 20% faster both in single- and multicore tasks.

If your life is all about rendering video then that will make a big difference.

If all you do is use safari and stuff like that then getting a new tab open in .5 sec or .4sec will probably not change your life :D

I still use my 2007 MBP as my itunes player and for netflix/youtube at home.

gutiinthebooty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2015
The maxed out 15" is a total waste. The 2,8 is like 4% faster than the 2,5. Outside of geek bench there is probably little to no use for that extra speed :)

The 5K i7 is about 20% faster both in single- and multicore tasks.

If your life is all about rendering video then that will make a big difference.

If all you do is use safari and stuff like that then getting a new tab open in .5 sec or .4sec will probably not change your life :D

I still use my 2007 MBP as my itunes player and for netflix/youtube at home.

Interesting..I knew the 5k iMac would be the better computer in every way. The portability of the rMBP is appealing. I would be using programs like the Adobe Creative Suite, Sketchup, etc pretty consistently. Would that type of use wear out the maxed 15" rMBP quickly? or should it last the 5+ years?

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
at those price points, the macbook pro is maxed out. The 5k iMac is all maxed out except for the drive drive (at this price point, it is configured with the 3tb fusion drive. 1tb flash is the most expensive).

Spec wise, the iMac is obviously more appealing. But in terms of value at the relative price points, I am not sure which is the better buy (and am still deciding on which would be right for me). So I am gauging what other people's opinion would be.

Did you upgrade the RAM on the iMac? If so, don't do it through Apple.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Interesting..I knew the 5k iMac would be the better computer in every way. The portability of the rMBP is appealing. I would be using programs like the Adobe Creative Suite, Sketchup, etc pretty consistently. Would that type of use wear out the maxed 15" rMBP quickly? or should it last the 5+ years?

Using photoshop won't kill your Macbook :)

It´s the coffee/pepsi/milkshakes people spill in to them or the accidental knocking of the table or another common one: putting it down on the floor next to your bed so you can step on it the first thing you do the next morning :)

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Have 2012 rMBP that's getting long on tooth...open box 2014 vs 2015

I just got a Sony AX100 4K camcorder and it's killing my 8gb 2012 rMBP 15 mainly because of ram issues in FCPX - 4K editing eats ram like crazy(my iMac 27 has 16gb ram and works well.) I have 2 options:
1. Local Best Buy has an open box 2014 rMBP 15 GT750M 16gb ram 512gb SSD for $1923 + tax
2. Wait for Best buy to get the 2015 for $2499 and apply mover's coupon and get it for $2250 + tax.

Is the $327 price difference worth it for FCPX?

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
I just got a Sony AX100 4K camcorder and it's killing my 8gb 2012 rMBP 15 mainly because of ram issues in FCPX - 4K editing eats ram like crazy(my iMac 27 has 16gb ram and works well.) I have 2 options:
1. Local Best Buy has an open box 2014 rMBP 15 GT750M 16gb ram 512gb SSD for $1923 + tax
2. Wait for Best buy to get the 2015 for $2499 and apply mover's coupon and get it for $2250 + tax.

Is the $327 price difference worth it for FCPX?

The 2015 GPU is 80% faster for FCPX so that might be useful :)

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Mines for sale, just 2 months old same condition as you would buy it off the shelves...for 2400.00.

Maxed out mid-14 15" rMBP with NVIDIA 750M.

Too much specs for what I need.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I look at it this way.

You know what you get.

That was part of what I was thinking when I bought my 2015 rMBP 13".

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I just wish Apple bumped the CPU a bit, 2.8Ghz for the base dGPU model instead of 2.5....they essentially only updated the GPU, SSD (speed), and track pad. It's nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.