Should I buy the new touch or a 2nd handed iphone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by essiw, Jul 15, 2015.

1. essiw macrumors member

Hi there,

I would like to get some opinions/advice about whether to buy a touch or a second handed iphone.

Firstly let me tell you the reasons for buying one or the other:

Touch:
    I will mostly use it for music, as I already have an iPad for most other things.
    Freshly updated, faster? and might have more battery life.
    I only use my phone as a back-up for when I need help or to quickly call someone. I use it so little that I only spend €10,- in a half year on phone-calls and texting.
    Downside: less functions than an iPhone.

iPhone:
    Might use Whats-app as that is used by lots of people in my country.
    Might buy a watch in the future, and the iPhone might be needed for it.
    One device less to take with me.
    Downside: The battery or other things might break down, as it is a 2nd handed phone.

I am not sure yet about the size, whether I should take a 32GB or 64GB (my music library is 35GB and growing), but I imagine that the price of a 2nd handed iPhone would be the same as the Touch new. I am also not yet sure which gen iPhone I should buy, I don't want a huge phone so I guess one of the 5 series?

Please help me decide, so the options are:
    1. Buy a Touch, and buy a cheap simple phone.
    2. Buy an 2nd handed iPhone

If 1, please help me by finding a simple phone, as I am not liking my android phone, and all the phone has to do is call and SMS, I am not up to date with brands that make simple phones instead of smart-phones (with functions I won't use).

If 2, please help me decide which model is best for me :)

Thanks for your time guys I appreciate all the help :) , if you need more info feel free to ask.

2. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Always go for an iPhone. While the iPhone and iPod Touch are similar they're are differences between the two. The iPhone has better life support then the iPod Touch with the internal hardware & software. As of right now the best model would be the iPhone 5S. In a couple of months the best model would be the iPhone 6 being $100 cheaper.

3. essiw thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your answer.

Sorry I am not english, with "life support" do you mean "battery life"? As I am unsure how a 2nd handed iPhone (couple years old) can have a better battery life than a brand new Touch.

4. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Yes. life support being a better batter inside the iPhone as well as longer support by Apple as far as software and fixes.

5. essiw thread starter macrumors member

^Thanks :) Well I am not to worried about the software being outdated, but the battery is a good point in favour of the iPhone.

Hoping to get more opinions on this matter.

6. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

If you can wait two more months, you should be able to find an iPhone 6 for around half the price it sells for now. That's what I would advise you to do, since it seems you would benefit more from an iPhone than an iPod.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Sounds like an iPhone might better suit you if you only want one device.

8. essiw thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all, you helped lots :) I think I made up my mind, I am now thinking about buying a 2nd handed iPhone if it is cheap, and if I cannot find one cheap (in my country) I will go for the touch.

9. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

A few months ago i bought a 2nd hand iPhone 5s (via a long term user of Tweakers.net a Dutch tech site) 32GB version for 300 euros (which was a bargain, i see a lot of 350+ euros for the 32GB version). If you can wait for a few months (September) then i would think that a new 5s would be a good option instead of a 2nd hand one.

I expect that in September they will launch the 6s so the 6/6Plus and 5s will reduce in price. You do have to be quick i guess to still buy a 32GB model by then but probably at premium resellers from Apple you can still buy then. Apple will probably will only keep selling a 16GB or even 8GB version of the 5s by then (not sure).
    I would really suggest you to buy at least a 32GB model. I have used a 16GB version over the years (3Gs, 4s).

10. essiw thread starter macrumors member

^That is an other nice alternative to keep in mind, thanks :)

11. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

A used 5s is not better than a new iPod Touch 6th gen imo if you don't cellular capabilities. The A8 processor is more future proof and having a warranty is a huge plus.

12. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I'm not sure. Value wise the iPhone 5S would retain its value a little better. Got to figure that after a year the 16GB touch would only be worth $120 to $150 and the 16GB iPhone 5s would be $200 to $250.
    If using strictly as a wifi device with no interest in true GPS nav I would agree with you; I would pick the touch. But then again who is the true target audience of this device? I see only teenagers and below buying this device or people with Android devices that want to taste iOS. Otherwise just get/upgrade to an iphone. Sooner or later everyone needs a smartphone.
    But the only mistake I'm really seeing is the lack of true GPS. Could have used it on my motorcycle instead of using a $700 phone.

13. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

But I have a 6+ and want an iPod Touch 6th gen lol

14. WLS macrumors 65816

It's a close call between the new Touch or a used iphone 5s. The phone has a better camera in some ways, it has built in GPS and Touch ID and a bigger battery. You can get either in 64GB for around $300.