Should I buy the recently "updated" 13 inch MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ztrif, Apr 13, 2010.

1. ztrif macrumors newbie

Is it worth the money considering it was just a minor spec bump?

2. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

3. Cerebral macrumors newbie

Well it depends on what you are after really. The 13" might not have the latest and greatest cpu, but it is still quite capable. If the specs take a higher priority for you, you may want to look elsewhere.

I'm still going to buy one as my Asus G1 died 3 months ago. You also can't find something as sturdy as a 13" Macbook Pro with the same amount of battery life elsewhere for the same price (unless you wanted to go up to the 15").

I'm annoyed at the processor upgrade, and the $400 AU price tag to get measly 10-11% clock bump...but I need a new laptop, so I'll be getting the baseline 13" :). Unibody ftw!

4. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Ive been debating all day. I bought one this morning. I decided to use the money Im saving towards an SSD. Speed and portabilty. And 10 hours battery. Try that with a 15"!

5. mac8867 macrumors 6502

I run mac os, 2 windows XP virtual machines, a linux virtual machine with one of the leading ERP suites installed, all my development tools, email, and many many documents and spreadsheets on my mid-2009 macbook pro 13"

.... and I have room for more. I am not a game player, so I couldn't comment on the pressures/requirements in that space.

Upgrades:
    8GB Ram
    250 GB SSD OS Drive
    500 GB Drive in place of dvd

6. enberg macrumors regular

Seriously, if you want a 13", go for it. It's still a good computer despite all the handwaving here.

7. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I will certainly get it! gotta change my sig now...

8. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

It's a great computer. If you like it, get it.

Sell if for 200$ less than you bought it in a years time, and upgrade to the next latest tech :)

9. Rapidian13 macrumors newbie

So I'm on the fence about it too - I was debating between the Air (thanks Steve for not upgrading it all) and the 13 Pro, and I'm seriously leaning toward the 13. I'm a PC guy now (and I'm surprisingly real...), and obviously going to switch, but it means I don't know how well things work on a Mac. Specifically, as far as gaming go, I'm pretty strictly a Civ 4 (soon to be V!) kind of gamer, otherwise I'm pretty strictly looking for web surfing, iTunes use, storing photos (not editing) and word processing. Will the 13 Pro meet these requirements sufficiently with its current hardware, and if so, will the 2.4 be enough compared to the 2.66 (noting that I don't need the extra harddrive space)?

Advice much appreciated.