Should I buy the Retina MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xdxdaustin, Jul 28, 2012.

1. xdxdaustin, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

xdxdaustin macrumors regular

As of right now I am croaking along with an early 2008 white MacBook.
    Its specs are 2.4ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 gigs of ram, and a 250gb HDD (I call it my little Dinosaur :D). I originally received this as a birthday present just before I discovered the tech world so I wasn't really doing any heavy lifting. As time went on, especially within the past year, I have really been getting into using Photoshop daily and using Dreamweaver on a weekly basis (and more often than not, having to run the two at the same time, plus a multitude of other apps). This is besides the fact that animations and transitions are slow, my Mac is chipping appart, and my charger is broken (with the battery soon to go as well). Long story short, its just not quite cutting the mustard. So I've started pinching my pennies and working (I'm just shy of 15 so I don't have a "regular" income) and have had my sights set on the 2.6ghz Retina MPB with 16gb of ram and a 512 SSD. But I started wondering, if I was going overkill. Now I do intend for this laptop to last me sometime, hopefully 4 years (or more) so I do not want to skimp, but I do usually start doing more advanced things every year (e.g. I've gone from facebook+reading blogs and forums, to everything from that to Photoshop and Dreamweaver). One final thing: I will also be bringing a collage family friend along with me for the purchase so that I can get myself a discount.

So my question is, now knowing my situation, should I keep going for the Retina MPB? Or is there something else I should go for at a lower price point (ex a MacBook Air or a Classic Macbook Pro).

Thank you so much in advance!

P.S. I did look at the MacRumors "Which Mac should I buy" but I was still stumped.

2. Vyruss macrumors member

I am absolutely loving the quality of the rMPB. If you are looking to save some money consider buying the base model rMPB with 16 GB of Ram and throwing your excess work on an external hard drive. That way you can save $400 :)

3. xdxdaustin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your input! Really great idea you have there too...definiatly keeping it in mind. I also probably should mention in the OP that I have a friend in collage so she was going to come with me so I can get a nice little discount :D. To me its almost as if its a cost doesn't matter situation, as long as I am buying what is appropriate for my needs

4. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

really sounds like you need a new computer dude. your life would change with a rmbp

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

if you can afford a rMBP and dont mind being stuck with what you buy, and having no internal optical drive, then get the retinia. It will be much faster than what you have. Core i7's are far and above better than the C2D

6. Mantis1996 macrumors newbie

I have really been happy with my retina MacBook Pro. The screen is just absolutely amazing. You really need to see it in person to truly appreciate how beautiful the screen looks. I bought the entry level retina & just plan on buying an external drive for future storage it it's needed.

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I personally feel the rMBP is the best laptop I've ever owned. It is a powerhouse and the screen is second to none. If you can afford it, I would say, don't hesitate!

8. stevelam macrumors 65816

You do realize that neither photoshop or dreamweaver have been optimized for retina right? And probably won't be for a long time. None of the people replying to this thread are even remotely helping you in anyway except regurgitating the same useless rhetoric over and over without any regard to your actual usage.

9. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Go base+16. Then get a good micro SD card and one of these to store all your stuff that doesnt need high speed. Like iTunes.

10. wiznet macrumors regular

You're right. However, it's really not that bad. People blow it way out of proportion. I find changing the resolution, up a notch, makes the experience better.

OP, for your reference, here's what CS6 apps look like (sorry, no DW):

After Effects: http://puu.sh/Mco7
    Audition: http://puu.sh/Mced
    Encore: http://puu.sh/MccI
    Flash Professional: http://puu.sh/McjO
    Illustrator: http://puu.sh/MciC
    Photoshop Extended: http://puu.sh/Mcs3 (by "other apps" I was referring to ones such as AE, which had some clear text despite not being optimized)
    Premiere Pro: http://puu.sh/MaIu

Hopefully that's enough for you to get a sense of what it looks like - this is on the "best for retina" resolution [1440x900].

--------------------------------------------------

In conclusion, the Retina MBP was my best purchase in a long time. It's pricy, but hell is it ever worth it. You'll love it! So responsive, and the screen is great. I say 2.3 with 16 GB if you're worried about the cost. I have the 2.6, and I love it (see signature). Good luck!

11. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It’s highly unlikely that it’ll be “a long time” compared to the 4 years that the OP wants to keep the machine. Getting a RMBP now is best, because Adobe will soon update their apps to be Retina-aware (starting with Photoshop, already in beta), and then you’ll have the best display possible for the rest of the life of the machine.

12. stevelam macrumors 65816

Adobe and "soon" do not belong in the same sentence.

Do you have any idea how long a lot of their betas have remained in beta for? Edge is still in beta for a year now with still no official release announced. Remember when audition was in beta for 2-3 years?

Adobe hasn't even announced any commitment to updating anything but photoshop for retina. At best they said possibly by the end of the year just for photoshop.

Even now when you open a fairly large but typical psd for design (try the iPad retina template from T&L) in photoshop on the RMBP, panning it causes stuttering and lag. It already stutters doing basic general UI tasks. I can't imagine how much more slow it would be if it actually had to render full retina assets in photoshop.

So far the RMBP is only usable if paired with an external monitor for design.

13. ANTONkoolaid macrumors member

14. RealEyes macrumors regular

Eventhough the menu bars will look a little fuzzy, the work inside will still be "retina'd" so...

15. devman macrumors 65816

devman

not so for Dreamweaver. The text in the DW editor is fuzzy.

16. miralize macrumors member

17. xdxdaustin thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much for taking time to post those pictures! I opened them in fullscreen in preview so I could really see what everyone was talking about, and I must say, it really doesn't look horrible (I was scared we were going to have an iPhone to iPad scaling issue on our hands). To me, the worst offender is definitely photoshop, but if we already know an update is in the works for retina support, I'm not worried.

I took a look at this as well, and if Dreamweaver starts bugging due to the lack of retina support, I know where I'll be going! Thanks!

18. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Perhaps you may want to wait a little bit more. The 15" retina MacBook Pro is just the first of the bunch. Apple will soon update all its Mac line to have a retina display. We don not yet know how the line will be after all the Macs are updated, and we can only try to guess. But all of them (or nearly all of them, at least) will.

The 15" rMBP will probably have a lower price point in the future and it will ultimately replace the cMBP.

In addition, not all applicatons are ready for retina.

19. gentlefury macrumors 68030

You do realize that those apps still work right...sure the UI isn't as sharp..but its no worse than the old low res screens...you just notice it because it is butted up against perfectly clear UI.

ALSO, the more people that buy a retina the more 3rd party developers will consider updated their applications. People stuck in the past, like you, will ensure this doesn't happen...thanks. Also, keep in mind, the rMBP is not just a high res screen, it is also a VERY fast, light, and extremely quiet MBP! People that keep fighting the good fight that the screen ruined their life fail to realize that this is still an amazing machine!!

20. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Man you need to get out more :p

21. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I get out quite a lot...what does that have to do with anything?

22. stevelam macrumors 65816

It's quite obvious you don't use any of the apps I mentioned. Why bother commenting? Do you use photoshop for work? Or just another RMBP owner that wants to play games all day?

23. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Your right I don't use Photoshop for work. I use Nuke. A much more resource intense application! You have no idea about what I do.

I would like to play games all day. But I am busy working on movies, television shows and commercials. ;)

24. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Also remember that you can always run these applications in 2880x1800 and they'll be perfect, and high-res.

25. DavidFongs macrumors newbie

I doubt bringing a collage of your family friend will get you a discount.