Should I buy the retina model or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samleemc, Jun 25, 2012.

1. samleemc, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

samleemc macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I am a product engineer (small gadgets) and somewhat a blogger. So I need some 3D Modeling (Autocad, Sketchup, solidwork) and also a little bit photo editing and website editing. Lately, my thinkpad is not powerful enough to do the job, so I am considering to buy a new laptop(I am working across many locations) to boost my productivity.

These are my questions:
    1, Seem like RMBP do not have much hardware problem, but I noticed that only a few software have optimized for the retina display. For anyone who are using the RMBP, Is it bearable to work under the circumstance? (of coz, excel and words are also needed, any news for update??)

2, Would it be too hot for the machine to run those software for 3D Modeling?

3, I am also a light-gamer as well, I am planing to play a bit of Guild wars 2 on the new laptop under bootcamp (or vmware if possible), any suggestion on this?

4, If your opinion is being negative, which laptop model would you kindly recommend for my situation?

Thanks!!

2. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Take Advantage of Apples's 14 day return policy.

That way you can decide for yourself if it meets your needs.

That is what I am going to do, there is a lot of opinion floating around on MR about the retina, so I will just buy it, give it a go, and if I am happy I will keep it, otherwise its going back .

Alot of people say its great for gaming, I am not buying it though, it all depends on what your expectations are, I game on a gaming PC with a GTX 690, so going to a laptop, any laptop is going to be unsatisfactory for me, I do not consider under 30FPS to be gaming with everything on max.

3. samleemc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your advice. However, I live in HK in fact, and we have a different policy on refund....25% charges applied for opened product to return. I can't use the trick....:(

4. leenak macrumors 68020

It gets pretty warm with high graphics, especially on Windows. I like my rMBP and I think it fits all my needs. I don't plan to use MS Office though, I have pages, keynote and numbers. I'm hoping those get updated. I went into Pages and read some sample text and it didn't seem bad to me, it just isn't as sharp as things like Safari that have been optimized.

5. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Autocad is getting updated for the rMBP, so the Retina would make sense for that + photo editing. As for your points:

1. It's going to take a while before we start seeing a large number of SW being optimised. Are you willing to be an early adopter on this score?

2. MacBook Pro's tend to get quite hot due to the case design. They tend to be able to handle it quite well, and from a review I was reading the rMBP is supposed to be a bit cooler than last years models.

3. The GT650M sounds like it's a very capable GPU, so should be able to run that without a hitch.

You could get the standard MBP, even the Hi Res version and it'll do what you need. Think your main consideration is point 1, can you put up with a long transition?

6. samleemc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your advice. What would you do? I am thinking of getting either a Song Z or the new SA model, or a old model MBP? If iWOrks update fast enough, let say within 3months, then I would love to wait for a bit with my new RMBP...otherwise it would seem to be a waste of money to buy something that is not usable. What do u think?

7. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

It has more than adequate power for the tasks you listed. Machine may get warm, but that's an intended side effect. You should be able to run in VMware Fision. I'm able to with my 2010 MacBook listed below.

8. samleemc thread starter macrumors newbie

but how about the software-retina problem? Is it bearable to work under such resolution? I heard that it may drive ur eyes dry and headache working inappropriate resolution.

Since you do have a retina model, please share with me ur experience, Thanks!!

9. photosaurus macrumors regular

I've not yet received my rMBP yet, but I've tried them out at the store several times. Programs like Word definitely don't look perfect on the retina, but I'd never have even noticed if I were not looking for it. I don't think it's something that will cause me any kind of strain. Also, my gut on MS Office updating to support Retina tells me it's going to be a long while. They'll be releasing the next version (2012) this year, more than likely (for windows only). I'm thinking it's going to be at least a year before you see any kind of Retina support from MS. Just my gut, though.

Personally, I don't care. I'm going retina for the hi res images and screen real-estate, don't really care if my text in Work looks awesome.

10. samleemc thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, what I am worrying the most is the software problem, i really want to know if u folks able to bear with the messed-resolution for some software UI?

11. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Personally I'm going to be getting a rMBP. Due a bonus in August so plan on selling my 2010 MBP and buying the rMBP as it'll be great for photo editing in Aperture and Photoshop (when it's updated). Also the fact that it's lighter will be good as I take my Mac to work.

From the reviews it doesn't sound like the non optimised apps are unusable, it just that you will notice a difference. Also they're not as bad if the resolution is set to be like 1680x1050 or 1920x1200.

12. MacBird macrumors 6502

I was really looking forward to the rMBP but after seeing it in a store, I canceled my order. I need to use MS Office and currently have Adobe CS5. It might take several months until MS updates Office and it does not look pretty right now. Adobe won't even update CS5, only CS6.

I'll keep my 2008 uMBP for another year and hope they will fix all the hardware issues and then decide whether retina is an option, I would not mind to get a MBP with the new chassis and a display running at its native resolution if it were available.

13. lcseds macrumors 6502a

All the hardware issues? Can you point me to a list of all these hardware issues?

14. froggyjo macrumors newbie

I have one - it's bearable. If you like the model and it fits your needs, don't worry about the software problem. Even word is not an issue. Icons are pixalated but if you get rid of the ribbon you won't even notice this.

15. Tech198 macrumors G4

I'm getting my Retina next week, so will post back.

Haven't Apple fixed the Retina problem yet ? I'll test mine..

For games and modelling, definably a pro.