Should I buy the Thunderbolt Display now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by J3AN, Jun 14, 2012.

1. J3AN macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy a TBD next month. But since Apple just released the Retina MBP, I'm unsure if a TBD will follow with retina shortly.
    What should I do?
    I've been saving for this for quiet a while now, and don't really want to wait till summer 2013 or something..

Also, what are the possibilities to daisy chain a third party monitor to the TBD?
    I've read somewhere, that if you put another thunderbolt device between the two monitors it should work. Is that true?
    If so, what device should I get? I don't need any accessory. So the whole purpose of the device would be to connect the two monitors. Is there anything real cheap?

2. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

As you've probably read elsewhere, the logistical hurdles Apple would need to overcome to produce a Retina TBD are substantial. That doesn't mean it will not happen ... but I gather that most people who are familiar with the technology think it's unlikely.

That said, the TBD is the best purchase I've made in a long time. I had the 24" ACD when it was released several years ago; the TBD is a substantially better and more solid product.

I don't think you'll regret the purchase ... even if something new is introduced in a few weeks. There's always going to be an upgrade of some sort. The TBD is quite simply the best display of its size I've seen. Increasing the size of each pixel may enhance the resolution, but it won't change the usability.

3. Liquinn Suspended

Yeah I agree with this guy; if you need one now. Buy now. I suppose when you've left the shop it's already out of date.

Cheers

4. J3AN thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks so far!

But what about daisy chaining another display?

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I will probably be wrong on this, but as previously stated I doubt we will see a retina TBD anytime soon. That's a lot of pixels to push. However, I could easily see apple updating the TBD with USB 3.0 soon....

6. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

Apple took two years to bring retina from iphone 4 3.5 inches to MBP 15.4 inches. So it will took minimum two years to develop a 27 inches retina display.*

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

8. danetello macrumors 6502

I doubt apple will be updating the thunderbolt display for at leat 1-2 years so I think it is a good idea to buy now

9. caligomez macrumors regular

caligomez

I'm not so sure.. In regards to form factor and resolution, I agree, there won't be an upgrade anytime soon. However, with all the Macs now supporting USB 3, they would have to bump this spec in order for the I/O upgrade on the Macs to be supported. If not, USB 3 compatible external drives would have to be plugged into the Mac directly (instead of the TBD I/O hub) and that kind of defeats the purpose of the hub itself and the convenience that a TBD is supposed to offer. It wouldn't a be a very Apple(esque) solution, IMO..

10. danetello macrumors 6502

Ok I see

11. J3AN thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't really care about usb 3.0. I've got no supporting devices anyway, and don't plan on buying any. I'd rather buy thunderbolt devices, once the come out at reasonable prices.
    As long as the resolution stays, I'm all good.

12. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

This isn't going to happen. Affordable USB3 devices are available now (and have been for years), the industry has already selected its standard and the standard is USB3. Thunderbolt is too expensive to license from Intel. Unless Intel changes it's mind, Thunderbolt devices will continue to be expensive, and Thunderbolt will continue to be a niche transfer protocol only useful to specific Mac users.

13. J3AN thread starter macrumors newbie

But I don't think I will wait for a TBD refresh, even if that's what's going to happen.
    I might as well buy a thunderbolt dock that supports usb 3.0 later, when I need it..

14. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I agree, I don't want to drop $1000 on a TBD when all my future HD drives will be USB 3 or thunderbolt. Even cheap "green" USB 3 drives will get 4x the sustained transfer compared to any USB 2 drive.

Knowing Apple, it might take them months to upgrade the TBD :(

15. Liquinn Suspended

Why not just wait for a USB 4 display? xD

16. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Because USB3 is available *now* in all Apple notebooks? :confused:

If you want to spend an extra $250-$400 for that later on then more power to you.

17. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Wait till the iMac is updated (could be soon since the benchmarks were found online) because they use the same panel. If the iMac gets a Retina display then the TBD will most likely. If there is no update to the panel go ahead and get a TBD as its already a really nice solution.

18. macrominnie macrumors member

While the TBD design is nice, its big advantage is that it can also serve as a thunderbolt dock. A better TB dock will include USB 3.0. If a TBD is wanted anyway, why pay an extra $250 or $400 for a TB dock. There aren't many TB devices, and they're pricey for now and the next year or two at least. (Even the TB cables are $50-what if a few are needed ?)

USB 3.0 has very good speeds. There are already many good prices now on many USB 3.0 devices. Even USB 3.0 flash drives are much better.

http://barefeats.com/hard154.html

There are already adequate ways to drive 2 or 3 monitors for recent Macs, unless you are doing the most intense gaming. If dual screens with good visuals at a low price are important, why not get two Dell 24 inch U-series monitors ? They are LED monitors with IPS panels-darn good for the price. You could buy two and save $200 (or $300) compared to one TBD. That would improve screen real estate on a budget, unless one very large screen is needed.