Should I buy this craigslist deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by britneyfan, Sep 3, 2012.

1. britneyfan macrumors 6502

Can someone please explain to me like I'm two if this is something I should do?

I have the base 13" mid 2010 MBP but I'd like a 15" and I want to use it for another 2 years, so I'd like it to be faster.

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/sys/3247041512.html

Something about it looks too good to be true.

I have a fully upgraded iPad to trade along with $700 but it just looks too good to be true.

Wouldn't the warranty be voided because there's extra data installed, probably not at Apple?

***Upgraded 1000GB (1TB) hard drive (+$200)

****Upgraded 12GB 1333MHZ ram (+150)

IDK, someone tell me please.

How long would this computer keep getting the upgrades too?

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Looks like the author just deleted it. It was either a scam, or another MR user snatched bought it out from under you.

3. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

4. clyde2801, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It also just deleted by its author. Is it the same guy? If so, I'd be wary.

Look up the specs on mac2sell.net . Great little website, kind of like a NADA blue book for used macs.

The rule of thumb is that if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. BUT great deals sometimes turn up on CL...sometimes people need cash fast and price things for a quick sale. There's also a couple of onlien sites you can use to see if a SN has been turned in as stolen. I don't know how effective they are, and you can't get law enforcement to tell you if they have a SN listed as stolen.

Questions to ask:

Do you have the box, and original materials for it? Does it have, or qualify for, extended Applecare?
    and... Why are you selling it? Can you show me the receipt listing the SN where you originally bought it?

Meet in a public place, (preferably with wifi access) and bring a friend with you just in case. I like to type up a quick bill of sale with a blank for the SN, with the owner reciting that he is the legitimate owner of the item, signed by and with copies for both parties, to show that I'm a purchaser in good faith. It may not protect me from an owner with a valid original receipt and a police report, but it will keep me from possibly being arrested for possessing stolen property.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That one is deleted too.

A good rule to follow: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

6. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

yup