Should I buy this iMac 21.5" 2012?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iancflam, Jun 25, 2013.

1. iancflam, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

iancflam macrumors member

I need to buy a mac for editing video soon, found this deal of iMac and wonder if I should pull the trigger.
    Also I'm torn between buying the latest MacBook Air......or wait for the refresh of Haswell for 15" rMBP.( don't know when the date will be :( )

Any advice or opinions are appreciated!

2012 model iMac 21.5"

- 2.9GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    - 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    - 1TB Fusion Drive
    - NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512MB GDDR5
    - 1TB Fusion Drive
    - original Trackpad and keyboard

Under warranty till Jan 2014

Is $1100 a good price? What do you think how much I should offer?

USE FOR: I will mainly use it to record (using iPhone or this) and edit some recorded videos of 5-10mins durations for YouTube guitar tutorials.
    Is it the best mac for editing videos?
    Thanks again!!

2. picxar macrumors newbie

Wait two more months, then they release the new MBPr

3. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't buy it because the RAM can't be upgraded.

4. iancflam thread starter macrumors member

When will be the latest date for the release of Haswell rMBP? by August?:confused:

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Nobody knows for sure. I think 8GB of RAM is going to get small pretty soon, especially if you want to video edit etc. Have you looked at refurbs on the apple site? You can get a good bargain and lots of people say they get better than advertised hardware.

6. iancflam thread starter macrumors member

The ram is not upgradeable? :eek: I searched the internet and it seems it needs to take apart the screen to add ram...I think I'm faint-hearted to do that in person :D
    Thanks for pointing out!
    If so which Mac do you suggest?

Actually I'm not sure if 8G ram will affect much, or will be enough for video record/ editing.... any input?

I notice 8Gb Ram is also the max for air, and it's base for the current rMBP so that's why I'm considering the offer.

----------

Thank you for your suggestion and I just checked out the refurb....but sadly there's no iMac 21.5" or 27" 2012 model at the moment (only 2011). And for rMBP it's way beyond my budget, esp those with 16Gb ram:(

Which is the best option I can stretch my budget to $1500?
    Use: mainly record (with iPhone I prefer as 1080p) and edit videos for guitar tutorials

Btw, just noticed you have the iMac I'm looking for at your signature...lol
    How's the fusion drive?

7. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Really quick and quiet! I was a bit disappointed that when it was launched it wasn't offered as a full SSD drive (well not in my size or price range) but to be honest, it functions exactly the same. The stuff I'm working on is held (mostly) on the SSD part of the drive. Of course this being Apple this just all works quietly in the background. No trying to choose what to save where. I'm sure 8GB would have been enough for me, but as I'm looking to keep this machine a while I didn't want it to get out of date to quickly.
    I spent a long time waiting for this product launch. When Haswell comes to the iMac range I don't think you will notice much of a difference. I'd buy now if you need one.

8. iancflam thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to your advice- I think it'd mess up if I try it install 16Gb ram by my own for the imac 21.5" 2012....8G is apparently not enought for video editing

9. iancflam thread starter macrumors member

NEW OFFERS- 15" Macbook Pro
    Now I'm now given two options...
    Which one should fit my need for video editing / more future proof?
    As I'm gonna keep it 3-5 years before selling.
    Thanks for all the help as this will be my first Mac!!

1. 15" rMPB 2012
    Apple refurbished, 16G Ram/256 SSD / 2.6GHz i7
    Nvidia GT650M 1Gb, warranty to 2014
    ~$1500

2. 15" cMPB early l2011
    Used, 8G Ram/500G HDD/ 2.2GHz i7
    Radeon 6750 1Gb
    Hi-res matte screen
    Under Applecare to Jun 2014
    ~$1150

10. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Number 1 the better choice. Yes it is refurb but is new. Plus you can add AppleCare to it to extend warranty till 2016. As long as you are storing files externally, the SSD should be more than enough. Should last you a few years. Plenty of RAM and decent video card.

11. iancflam, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

iancflam thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your suggestion.
    Anything I have to pay attention to anything if buying number 1?
    And do you suggest AppleCare?

12. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Nothing at all. Act as if it is new. I always suggest AppleCare. It will give you peace of mind. If it is not in your budget currently, you have up to 1 year to purchase the AppleCare. You will be sure to enjoy the machine. Will be fast with the SSD and down the road look at some good external storage so you can save space on the SSD.

Should also be able to run most programs available for Macs.

13. iancflam thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help and I just got it!
    Very fast and I hope it can run most programs and last +5 years :)

14. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Congrats! If you got the refurb, you will be good for 5+ years easily. It is a really nice machine. It will run virtually any program currently on the market. You are going to have some fun with it. As I suggested, down the road get AppleCare for ease of mind.

Also get yourself some external storage so you can keep the SSD drive semi clear. External drive will also be for backups of your SSD just in case you delete something by accident or should your SSD ever fail. Then your data will be safe.