Should I buy this iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kevindosi, Sep 12, 2013.

1. kevindosi macrumors regular

I currently have a 2009 Macbook Pro, 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo with 4gb RAM and a 500gb hard drive. It's been almost unbearably slow lately and even after formatting it it gets back to being slow after a month. The battery life has gone down to about an hour and occasionally shuts off by itself. I'd really like to replace it with a desktop that will be fast enough to deal with my giant photo and music libraries being constantly open and occasional video editing. I also don't have a ton of cash and don't think I can afford a new one.

A friend of a friend has offered to sell me his 27 inch iMac 2.66ghz i5 with 4gb RAM and 1tb hard drive. He wants $800. Is this a good deal? Would this computer be fast even though it's from 2009?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

This computer would definitely be faster due to two more cores and the ability to take up more RAM (16 or 32 GB, Everymac.com has answers).

Your Mac can take 8 GB RAM, and can be upgraded with an SSD for OS and applications, and you can use the 500 GB HDD in an Optibay adapter to store your photos.

An SSD alone will make any computer react much faster.

As for the price, check eBay or Mac2Sell for those models.