Should I buy this iPhone??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tmatthews14, Feb 24, 2010.

1. tmatthews14 macrumors regular

I found a 3g 16gb iPhone that someone is selling for $200.
    The screen is in awesome condition, and has a shield.
    Jailbroken and unlocked.
    But the only thing is that he says there is a screw loose on the sim HOUSING so it wont register any sim cards. But he tells me its an easy fix, and he'll give me the tool set to take it apart and fix it.

I plan on buying it, fixing it, and reselling it.
    Can anyone tell me how hard of a fix this is? And would it be worth it for me? I just sold my 3g 16gb for $340. So I could make some decent money fast.

Thanks for the help.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Why don't he fix it then? I've found out that all electronics sold as broken are crap as they VERY rarely are easily fixable and usually has more defects than the seller told you. The price is also too low so the phrase "what sounds too good, usually isn't" is probably true. Unless you're going to meet him in person and actually see the iPhone, I wouldn't buy it

3. tmatthews14 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, the sale is local. So I can go see it before I buy it.
    He said he just didnt want to take it apart to fix it.

He did mention that it is sold as-is, no returns. But he assured me the sim housing is the only problem.

4. tmatthews14 thread starter macrumors regular

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would go and see it and if it's okay, then buy it. You may not be able to fix it but then it works as an iPod Touch or if you can, you get a cheap iPhone

6. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

If he doesn't want to take it apart, how does he know what the (internal) problem is?

7. tmatthews14 thread starter macrumors regular

His ad says that he took it apart to add a red backpiece, but the piece didnt fit. and so he put it back together with the original white backpiece, and he said that he lost a screw while he was doing all that.
    Sounds reasonable, right?

I already have a sweet 3gs... so the only reason I would buy it would be to fix it and resell it.

Do you guys think he's telling the truth? Or does this sound like a good way to make $200 off a phone that doesnt work anymore?

8. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Something sounds a little fishy here. The seller had no problems taking it apart, but wants to sell it cheap because he doesn't want to be bothered to fix it? If he's gone through taking it apart once and doesn't want to fix it, I would be worried something else is wrong. Just my $.02.

9. pawan macrumors newbie

Similar situation

there is this guy who is ready to sell his iphone 3GS for 200£. im not sure if he owns this iphone, he is saying that the phone is brand new, bt he deosnt have the box with him and he is sayin he has lost the data cable too.
    what if i take the phn and he has robbed it from someone.
    when i put my sim will the phone get locked, if the phone is robbed.