Should I buy this MacPro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by peterm10, Aug 17, 2007.

1. peterm10 macrumors newbie

I currently have a Dell laptop that's too slow for me and would like to make the jump to Mac for performance, the OS and software (iLife). I don't use it for work but do use Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom a lot (I don't use Aperture). I have a 23 inch Apple Cinema display to use with it.

I am planning to get a new 2.66 MacPro with the default memory, hard drive, etc., and then buy 5GB of extra RAM from Macsales.com to have a total of 6GB. I plan to stick with the default video card (not the ATI upgraded card) since I am not a gamer or hard core video editor, nor do I plan to use Aperture or hook up dual 30 inch monitors.

Some people say I may want to wait to see if the MacPro is updated after the new Penryn chips come out but that could be months. Also, I don't mind having to upgrade to Leopard after it comes out and the bugs are ironed out. I can get an educational discount so if I get it in the next few weeks I can get a free Nano too which offsets the cost of upgrading to Leopard.

I would like to make the switch to the Mac soon so I can start learning how to use it and so I can start using the Mac software and online .mac webgalleries.

From what I have been reading, the 2.66 MacPro with 6GB of RAM should be more than good enough for me for a long time to come.

Is there anything else I should consider or does my approach seem sound?

Thanks,

Peter

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

If the Perryn is to be released in November you have months to wait for a Perryn based Mac Pro, and it sounds like you can't be bothered waiting (who can?). I say go for it!

3. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I too would say go for it.

It sounds like you don't *need* the more powerful processors (and like most of us mere mortals you probably wouldn't notice the extra power anyway), and I would say that the machine you've got picked out is more than enough horsepower for what you want already.

I'm quite envious that you are getting a Mac Pro though!

Good luck.

4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Only Buy Previously Owned or Refurbished MP Not New

Refurbs are only $2,199 and you want to buy TWO 2GB sticks not 5GB for a total of 5GB not 6.

You might get lucky and get a refurb with 2GB (two 1GB sticks) inside too.

The stock card has only one dual link port so can't drive two 30" monitors.

ADD an ATI X1900 card to the refurb to drive the second 30". HP LP3065 30" monitors are on $100 rebate (each up to 5) sale right now for only $1350 net each and they have 3 inputs as well as high color gamut. Google around to find it on different reseller sites. Found it with free shipping at PC Connection for $1,439.95 before the $100 rebate 'til October 31.

5. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

You might want to re-think this. I got a Mac Pro with the stock video card. Even with 8 GB of RAM, it struggled with Aperture. The light table feature was almost impossible to use. Screen re-writes would take forever. The stock card was ok, but not great, with Photoshop. But, if Lightroom is anything like Aperture, I think you will be disappointed with the performance, even with all that Ram.

6. peterm10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Maui but I do NOT plan to use Aperture so it shouldn't be an issue (Lightroom is very different in how it uses vRAM and only Aperture, not LR, has the big issue with video cards).

As far as RAM goes, I was going to by 2x2GB sticks, and then 2x512MB sticks, so I have 6GB altogether (including the 1GB RAM (2x512MB) that comes with it). I read that the MacPro's performance will be enhanced with 6GB of RAM set up this way over 5GB.

7. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Follow-up with MultiMedia

Follow-up with MultiMedia as to why he is recommending the "TWO 2GB sticks not 5GB for a total of 5GB not 6". He has some good insight to optimal RAM upgrades.

8. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

It doesnt sound like you need a Mac Pro, you may want to go with a MBP instead. The processor in the MP isnt going to help you any and the MBP comes with a lot better video card. The MBP's only downside is the lack of a fast HDD, but the convenience of having a laptop (you never know when you might need it) and the faster video card outweighs the pro's of a Mac Pro since it doesnt sound like youll be doing any upgrading either.