Should i buy this or wait ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dime4dice, Feb 3, 2015.

1. dime4dice macrumors newbie

dime4dice

hey so i am in the market of buying an imac. Currently i was looking at the 21.5 model with the nvidia card which is 1499 plus tax. I was thinking of getting it next week. However now i am in this situation: my brother's girlfriend is selling me her imac. This is the specs. She has rarely used it. My brother was able to talk her down to sell it for $500. I told her that i was going to think about it since for 500 i find it to be a steal but then again i dont really know much about the specs. i need you guys opinion if you think its worth to purchase it or just buy the imac from apple. Please be honest. Thank you. Here are the specs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dime4dice thread starter macrumors newbie

dime4dice

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

That price is not terrible, but not terribly good either. The performance of these older models is lacking compared to the newer ones, but it depends on what you plan to do with it.

4. dime4dice thread starter macrumors newbie

dime4dice

so you think i should just invest on the new model with the nvidia card?

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

If performance is a concern to you and you need a dedicated GPU then yes. I would recommend getting one from the Apple Certified Refurbished store.

6. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

Again, depends on what you are going to do with it. Even for an iMac this old, $500 is not bad but the parts in the computer are so old now that it will be less and less useful as a heavy lifter. It will not be able to handle newer computer games and running newer production software will be kind of clunky.

If you're planning to toss it on the desk for casual use/media consumption it will be pretty good still.

7. fathergll macrumors 6502a

I'd get a Mac Mini way before getting an old iMac for that much money. Mini can run circles around it for a lot of things.

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It comes down to whether or not the OP actually needs a Quad-core CPU and dGPU. Otherwise the Mac mini would be a fine choice.

9. dime4dice thread starter macrumors newbie

dime4dice

well basically i would like a computer that will be able to handle multitasking. the only game i would really be playing would be world of warcraft. other than that...my usual browsing on the web, watching twitch, and listening to music. At the same time in the future i would like to be able to have something could handle programs good.

10. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

Well its a C2D. Those are like, totally old man!

If your budget goes up to $1500 you could be rocking a quad-core something or other and never have to worry about multitasking bogging your system down again. The older you go the more you save but also the sooner you have to think about updating again.

Now, will that computer let you do that? Browse the web and listen to music?

Yup. You can probably plunk in more RAM and an SSD down the road to keep it hoping too.

11. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Wow, impatient much? :D

$500 is cheap for an iMac, but this box is a smoldering pile by today's standards and will be dog slow. Spend the $1,500.00 and get yourself a decent machine.

12. dime4dice thread starter macrumors newbie

dime4dice

thanks guys, i thought that i was getting a pretty good deal with purchasing the imac for 500 but its best that i purchase the new model from apple. yes its a bit more expensive but i will be the only owner and everything i wanted will be include.

13. fathergll macrumors 6502a

But isn't the Nvidia 9400 an extremely slow dGPU?

14. fathergll macrumors 6502a

15. dime4dice thread starter macrumors newbie

dime4dice

16. fathergll macrumors 6502a

Personally I would never buy any of the 21" models because $1500 for a 21" screen, 5400rpm HD, and non up gradable ram is a terrible buy. Thats a lot of cash for bad specs especially in 2015.