Should I Buy This Used MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lewiguez, Jan 15, 2011.

1. lewiguez macrumors newbie

lewiguez

I have a dilemna.

One of the guys I work with dropped his Macbook Pro a while ago. He started having problems with it a few months later and ended up getting a new one (brand new MBP 17", SSD, etc. the works... very jealous).

He wanted to know if I wanted his old one. He was just going to part it out because he didn't feel like fixing it. It's a 17" 2.4 Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM.

There are a couple of things wrong with it:
    1) battery expanded and needs replaced. Not a huge deal, but will cost unless I can get Apple to replace it (not betting on it...)
    2) Can't install Snow Leopard for some reason. It always craps out at 20 minutes left. I think it might be hard drive-related (just a guess as I haven't tried it and had a chance to troubleshoot) which would mean the hard drive MIGHT need replaced.
    3) Cosmetic damage from the drop. The bottom left corner near the DVD drive is all cracked. It's also cracked in the top left corner of the screen (It was closed when he dropped it, so it's the same drop point). DVD drive functions fine

Everything else seems to be in good shape.

Here is how I intend to use it:

1) Xcode (meaning compiling, etc.)
    2) CS5 (I COULD go down to CS4, but would love to stay at CS5
    3) VMWare Fusion (rarely)
    4) Email, internet, random stuff that any computer could probably do

I already have a 27" iMac I use day-to-day that functions great, but would love to be able to be more mobile at certain times. It'd be nice to sit in bed and work some nights or work when I'm travelling or going to my parents for the weekend when there's some downtime.

It should be noted that I'm capable of replacing all the components myself so I'm not worried about labor. Just cost of the actual components.

Mostly, I'm just concerned about how long I'll be able to use this laptop model. Will it be discontinued in Lion? Will CS6 not run on it? I'd hate drop some cash for something I don't really NEED, just want and then it be obsolete in 6 months.

I think I could get him down to $250 for it. Thoughts?

2. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

NEVER
    buy a used laptop that has been dropped
    NEVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER PLEASE NEVER
    Laptops are delicate creatures and a lot of times the damage that occurs from dropping doesn't always pop up immediately. You might repair everything you know is wrong with it right now and a few weeks later discover something else is broken on it. Don't waste your money.

3. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

That just sounds like a big bag of hurt. I wouldn't do it

4. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

If you get if for that cheap why not? in the end you could probably part it out.

5. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I'll buy it for $250.

People here are crazy. Buy it. Use it. Back up like crazy (good habit anyway) or save stuff to the cloud.

If it fails, part it out on ebay to get your money back.

Best Mac I ever owned was a TiBook held together with duct tape.

6. quasinormal, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011

quasinormal macrumors 6502a

7. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

8. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

or he could just save the $250 and spend it on something that isn't almost guaranteed to fail

9. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i would have to pass on that POS buddy. sounds like it's been through a war. you're friend needs to understand how gravity works.

10. roliath macrumors regular

roliath

for 250 i'd buy it and part it out
    you can get the money back by selling the cpu and ram alone

edit: nvm, I read that 17 as I7 (i7).