Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lobos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
Sunnyvale
I have an offer of buying a 15" MBP that was purchased in mid April. It is 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 256MB Video and AppleCare through 2009. The RAM was upgraded through a 3rd party, but I don't know where. The seller is asking for $2000, which I think is a great deal considering the RAM and AppleCare. However, I'm not too familiar with all the problems that the MBPs had. If it were only a month old, I'd probably go for it right away.

If not, I'm going to get a MB through the education discount and upgrade the RAM to 2GB for a total of about $1600 or so. I'm going from a 15" PB and I really love this size, but I've never purchased used before and I'm not quite sure how to approach it all. It would be a local deal...

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
$2000 seems a little low?

It has Applecare so any problems will (hopefully) be taken care of by Apple. (like whine, etc.) 3rd party RAM is a user upgradable part so that's fine.

If you trust the seller and it isn't shady, I would go for it. It's local - is it possible to see the computer in person and check it out? Why is the guy selling it, btw?

Lobos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
Sunnyvale
Juse sent him a message asking why he's selling it. He says the RAM is Kingston (haven't heard of that before?)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
$2000 I would jump on it, but listen to the advice of the above poster.

Lobos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
Sunnyvale
jessica. said:
$2000 I would jump on it

I agree! I'm not sure what shady things to look for? If I see it and it works, what else is there? I've already checked out the serial number at support.apple.com.

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
go for it if you have the money. it's a good price, kingston is a good brand (in my opinion) and it save you time and hassle buying ram, and waiting for it to come in. plus you have applecare for your revision a woes :) (hopefully nothing major)

Lobos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
Sunnyvale
So through the education discount I can get a white MB (80 GB HD, AppleCare, upgrading the RAM to 2 GB through 3rd party) for 1744 with tax. I need a new printer for school, and I can get the $100 printer rebate through Apple, plus I can pretty much get a new iPod for free by selling my old one and using the special education deal.

OR

For $2,000 I can get a MBP that doesn't have that much more for me. Sure, I love the bigger screen and I love the physical construction and keyboard better, but I don't need the 256MB video card and I don't need the screen, and I get no printer or iPod.

Ah! I guess I'm just already having withdrawls from my 15" PB and it's not gone yet.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Lobos said:
So through the education discount I can get a white MB (80 GB HD, AppleCare, upgrading the RAM to 2 GB through 3rd party) for 1744 with tax. I need a new printer for school, and I can get the $100 printer rebate through Apple, plus I can pretty much get a new iPod for free by selling my old one and using the special education deal.

OR

For $2,000 I can get a MBP that doesn't have that much more for me. Sure, I love the bigger screen and I love the physical construction and keyboard better, but I don't need the 256MB video card and I don't need the screen, and I get no printer or iPod.

Ah! I guess I'm just already having withdrawls from my 15" PB and it's not gone yet.

I definitely would spring for the MBP, assuming that the sale is safe. Not only because of the slightly better build quality and screen, but because (a) from what I understand there's a pretty big difference between the MB integrated graphics and the MBP dedicated graphics, and (b) resale value for the MBP. $2,000 is a good deal for a MBP at that spec, and the Applecare sweetens the pot.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Lobos said:
I have an offer of buying a 15" MBP that was purchased in mid April. It is 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 256MB Video and AppleCare through 2009. The RAM was upgraded through a 3rd party, but I don't know where. The seller is asking for $2000, which I think is a great deal considering the RAM and AppleCare. However, I'm not too familiar with all the problems that the MBPs had. If it were only a month old, I'd probably go for it right away.

That wud be a stupid deal. Dont go for it. You are wasting your money. Please dont buy it.

Instead give me the guy`s address and contact number. Do you think he`ll ship to india?:D :D :D :p

Lobos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
Sunnyvale
I think he's only doing local. Although I think he makes an exception for India... j/k

I thought about the resell value and the better graphics, but I don't really need the extra graphics. I don't know that I ever completely use enough of my currently 128MB card in my PB. Plus, I'm a college student and could probably put the money to use elsewhere... I'm also comparing the fact that the MB would be brand new from apple. I dunno. I guess I'll sleep on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.