Should i buy time capsule?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bonbon111, Apr 21, 2009.

1. bonbon111 macrumors newbie

i own a macbook, i love it...now hate PCs but i need to buy a PC notebook and want to set up a wireless network and back up my files when i buy it. What is the best product to do so??
    I would love to get Time Capsule by apple but does it work wiressly with PC or do i have have it connected by a cable all the time? which is fine by me...just wanting to know :)

2. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

It works wirelessly and you can access the hard drive in it. The only thing is that since the PC is using Windows it wont be able to automatically back up to the Time Capsule.

3. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

TC is a great device. Not perfect, but I have not seen anything I would prefer to use.

Works with Time Machine very well. You can access the HD separately and via MobileMe. I get good wireless throughput speed and I can access my two printers attached to it as well as my Drobo.

I use TC for Time Machine and the Drobo to house my iTunes stuff as well as acting as a clone drive using superduper.

I have three backups in place- iDisk, TM and superduper. Four if you include the iTunes that is set up with redundancy.

With PC- not sure I know the answer.

Best wishes.

4. Shivetya macrumors 65816

need a pc notebook? why? Would not loading windows onto the macbook solve that need?

5. Koronis macrumors member

Koronis

I haven't used it with a Time Capsule, but my Dell laptop can connect to an airport disk through wireless, you just need to install bonjour for windows

6. bonbon111 thread starter macrumors newbie

the person im living with would be using it...not me thank god but i still need it to work with the EHD and network easily with my mac.

so far im thinking TC would be good...i dont mind manually backing it up.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've always thought the Time Capsule to be a poor choice; since it's pricey and excruciatingly slow.

They may have fixed it by now, but when I owned one, a 60GB backup took about 6 days.

8. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

It still is very slow, but not that bad. I backed up ~40 gigs in a few hours last night (three I think, but I fell asleep).

But to answer the OPs post, the TC works great but its really slow. It may be a bit pricey but worth it imo (peace of mind). If you want to save some money, I suppose you could buy a cheap router and an external hd and set it up to do the same thing... I think.

9. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

mine does 30GB in about an hour or less (but I am not using it wireless)

I like it, personally

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It won't be able to automatically back up using Time Machine, but as long as Windows can access the drive through the network, just about any Windows-based backup program can use it.

11. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Does the Time Capsule get slower when you plug in an external HDD? I'm thinking about purchasing one but not if it's slow as a lot of people have mentioned.