Should I buy unlocked iPhone ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hooly, Nov 26, 2007.

1. hooly macrumors regular

hooly

I am in Belgium for a couple of hours (I live in Finland)

I have an opportunity to buy one of the famous (expensive!) unlocked iPhones.

1) Will it really just work with a normal SIM card? Just put it in and all done?

2) The same question for the GPRS

3) Apparently if I install one of the hardware updates, it will lock the phone down... Is this true?

4) Does this mean that I could never update the software (or that I would be forced to update and then unlock unofficially - and how wasy is this?

I would be grateful for some fast reponses as I am very tempted here and have to catch a flight ! :D

2. hooly thread starter macrumors regular

hooly

ok this thread was already very useful.

Basically for 799Eu I get an unlocked iPhone with no warranty and no support, and no visual voicemail.

Other features 'should' work but I will be on my own for setting up GPRS etc...

I am still tempted, I must be crazy ! :D

3. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

I wonder why you want to buy one in Belgium ? Unless you mean France ?

I know of one shop in Brussels Rue Neuve that sells them (last time I looked the price was set at 999 euros) but it is a hacked iphone. And otherwise there are no iphones sold legally here.

Can't you order one from the USA ? I did, and it arrived 3 days later. Price should be between 400 and 600 euros, depending on if you want it unlocked or not.

4. hooly thread starter macrumors regular

hooly

Yeah it was on Rue Neuve... I assumed it was the same situation as in France, but in fact this shop is importing from the US and unlocking them.

They charge 799Eu, and 'say' they will honour the warranty...

I have to admit I caved in and bought one... now trying to work out how to set up the GPRS :)

5. MicBook macrumors regular

you could always get a "legally" unlocked iPhone from Germany for 999eu

6. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

Well, you certainly made their day !

I wish you well with the iPhone, I certainly like mine !