Should I buy used MBP with "bulge"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hessdesigns, Jan 5, 2009.

1. hessdesigns macrumors member

Hey everyone. I'm considering purchasing a used MBP. It was bought in Sept. '08, so it's the latest of the older model. It has the 2.4 gHz, 2GB ram, 200GB hd setup as well as Applecare until 2011. The only thing is the seller says there is a bulge near the superdrive. He says "everyone he knows has had this very common problem". I did searching on Apple's discussions and (of course) here on MR. While I did find a couple things (could just need to be pushed in, might be some sensor or something else overheating), nothing seemed to be "common".
    I would check it out before purchasing, but just wanted to get some advice from all you guys first. He's selling it for $1500. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Apple.com is selling that same machine as a refurb (which is really new) for $1,349. That doesn't include Applecare, but it does come with the standard 1 year warranty and you can always add Applecare for less than $200 (ebay) later on. While that laptop isn't always available on Apple.com in the refurb section, it is there a lot. Just keep checking everyday or more.

I just don't think that sounds like a good deal for you. My opinion of course.

I don't know anything about a massive bulge problem in the last gen. Sorry.

3. hessdesigns thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info... I'm always curious of someone claiming "everyone I know..." I did see that Macmall has some amazing discounts, and yes, I was thinking maybe the higher asking price was sorta OK because of Applecare. But, I'm thinking maybe it's not such a good deal after all. Thanks for your help! (Maybe I can get him to lower the price...?)

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I certainly would not buy it for $1500. First, the Applecare is useless since Apple would most likely not repair anything since there is evidence of physical damage. You can spend the same money at Macmall or Smalldog on the same item and add Applecare within a year. Apple.com will charge you sales tax and that would be the deal breaker and push me to the other retailers.

If this guy says it's a known issue, let him send it in to be repaired.

5. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

A gap above the Superdrive is evidence that somebody doesn't know how to put a Macbook Pro back together. Its not necessarily bent or broken. The Genius Bar tried to return my MBP to me twice with that, and replaced my case last week because they couldn't get it to close right this time. Pressure downward on the gap with a stack of cards in the drive opening should close the MBP case without a problem, if everything is in good order.

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Don't feel embarrassed, I got a "bulge" when mine arrived too.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

lol didn't we all, and for the record a bulge near the superdrive usually happens when someone has dropped the laptop on its corner, as this is the crumple zone.

8. hessdesigns thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking... best to stay away from this one. I did see another one with the HD upgraded to the 250gb 7200 rpm. And love the "bulge" joke. Happens to all of us. Especially when I got my Mac Pro a couple years ago...

9. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Yeah, I had the same reaction when the Apple Store Manger set the MBP box on the counter and I walked through the mall with what was the first to be sold on 10/15...

10. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

This is further evidence of when someone (me :() has dropped a MBP on its corner...

Attached Files:

11. nippyjun macrumors 65816

If you work at a univeristy or know of someone who does you may be able to pick up that model for 1100-1200.

12. hessdesigns thread starter macrumors member

And how is that? I know you can get the student discount, but the cheapest I've seen on the model is $1349 from MacMall. And that's without the AppleCare

13. MacJenn macrumors regular

No offense, but if buy that from that guy then you would be ripped off. Everyone on this thread has tried to warn you so it will be your own fault. I'm surprised anyone who has been a member here for as long as you wouldn't know that is a bad bad deal.

14. hessdesigns thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I didn't really want to bump this thread up, because I was just trying to get "is there such thing as a common bulge problem?" answered, and you guys came out in force. Hearing from you all, I'm definitely NOT going to get that guy's laptop... Thanks!

15. matperk macrumors 6502

Yeah, I don't think you can get that low. With refurbs you don't even get to use an EDU discount.