Should I buy?????????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applefanboy4739, Sep 5, 2011.

1. applefanboy4739 macrumors member

I know I want a baseline 13 inch MacBook pro, but with the update probably coming soon, I was wondering if I should buy it? The buyers guide says only if you need it, and the education discount runs out on the 20th so I was hoping to use that.so my question is, should I buy it now or wait for the update and add to it?

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

hi. the search button will help you find all of the answers you need about this question that literally comes up once or twice a day. for starters, if you don't tell us anything about your circumstances, how can we help? other than to say: get it if you need it now. wait if you don't.

by the way, the update is more than half a year away at best (according to most guesses). that is a long time in tech terms.

3. Jrv macrumors regular

If you need a laptop, buy a laptop. You're not going to suddenly be dissatisfied as soon as a new model comes out.

"Geez this Macbook is awesome! It does everything I need it to do at insane speeds!"

*new model comes out*

"This macbook is crap! The new macbook does the same thing but is slightly faster! My experience is ruined!"

That's pretty much how I picture you people. I say "you people" because this thread gets repeated multiple times a day and the answer is always the same.

4. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Of course the current MBP won't be any worse just because a new MBP is released. The current MBP, if he choose to buy it, won't have its performance decreased.

I think it's more the fact that he will be paying full price for something that will be the "last gen" in the near future while the new gen will cost the same as what he payed for the "last gen".

That's not being stupid or an annoying customer - that's being economically smart. There's nothing wrong with that.

5. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

funny how a polishing of terms makes a difference no?

it is annoying. if the dude needs it, they should buy the thing. end of story.

6. rainking macrumors regular

7. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Well, I've got news for you. The 2012 models will be "last gen" when the 2013 models come out. Won't you feel stupid for paying full price for a 2012 model when in a year a better 2013 model will come out for the same price :rolleyes:

For people who don't want to be disappointed when it comes to electronics (i.e. electronics refreshes):
    1. Buy a product every time there's a refresh and ditch your old model.
    or
    2. Never buy anything, just watch from the sidelines.

For the rest of us:
    Buy when you need it, don't when you don't. When a device has reached the end of it's usefullness, dispose of it and get a new one. Rinse and repeat ;)

8. Tanax macrumors 6502a

One year is not the near future.
    Please read my post more carefully before replying the next time.

Thank you.

----------

So let's say a new MBP comes out in a month. Would you honestly buy the current MBP? That's stupid. But hey, I guess it's your money. Who am I to argue your economical intelligence :)

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

jeeez it'll be a die shrink..

Do you like your optical buy now!

If thats unimportant wait for ivy bridge and 2012!

10. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Actually, in the case of the MBP, I would suggest the OP to buy now if he wants it. It's still quite far away from a refresh so it's not really in the near future.

I was just making a point to the other guy who bluntly said that you should "always" buy now if you need it - which is plain stupid if you know there's a refresh around the corner. In this case there isn't.

11. blunti macrumors 6502a

if the current MBP suits your needs, then buy it. who cares about an update if the current one can do everything you need? I don't understand these kind of threads...

12. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I agree..buy now if you need it i.e. you computer failed in the middle of a paper/presentation/what ever makes your money or grades..

While Apple may do a redesign of the MBP I don't think the wait will be will be worth it..

Kust get SNB MBP and be happy, it's a computer it'll honestly be antique by the time you buy it...

Cool is a moving target..especially with geeks

13. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

^this!!

14. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Don't buy it. The current 13 inch MBP isn't perfect to begin with. And besides the current MBP line up has lost its edge compared to the samsung series 7 notebooks for example.

I'd wait for a refresh or get samsung series 7 notebook if you really can't wait

15. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

6 months is not the near future.

I have read your post and replied accordingly. Also, please stop using "please read my post more carefully before replying..." for no reason, just because you have nothing else to reply with.

Thank you.

16. silverf1re macrumors regular

update

I heard that after this upcoming update apple will update the macbook pro's again. Im holding out for that update, it will be faster and come with more gigabytes. :rolleyes:

17. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Same for every update :0(

18. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

What are the reasons for you buying a new Macbook Pro (aside from taking advantage of the student discount)?

19. Tanax macrumors 6502a

No reason? You have obviously not read my post:

Pay attention to the bolded parts. As you see, I agree with you that 6 months isn't the near future.

Again. Please read my posts before replying with things I've already agree'd to.

20. erasr macrumors 6502

21. Jrv macrumors regular

If you really care so much about specs, you probably shouldn't be buying a Macbook in the first place. Spec wise, when the new ones are released, there will already be PC laptops with better specs at a cheaper price.

22. DarkFlame macrumors regular

THAT'S WHY IT IS CRITICAL TO BUY THE SECOND THEY'RE RELEASED TO GET THE MOST BANG FOR YOUR APPLEBUCK. READ MY STORY BELOW FOR A PERFECT EXAMPLE /capcopter.

Dated!? I guess it is all relative...I went to Microcenter and paid $999 for for a Macbook Pro in MARCH of this year, a month or two after it came out. For 50 dollars I doubled my ram to 8GB (G.Skill)

For another $150, I removed my optical drive, (and put it in a usb enclosure so I only plug it in when I use it - which I never do) put my 320gb OEM drive in a 30 dollar caddy in the optical bay, and replaced the boot drive with a brand new 120GB SSD.

Total price: 1330.00

Total price of a comparable air (including the .1 spec bump and superdrive) is $1800 (or $1720 w/o them).

So.... you're paying $400-500 more for ~200GB LESS space, .4 slower processor, and a NON-UPGRADEABLE MACHINE? We all know Apple loves to release computers with items soldered onto the board so they go obsolete faster and you ending up spending more - they justify it with space savings.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I got it, you get the slightly better screen, ~1 pound less and a moderately cooler design?

I get more ports, about equal battery life when I power down my OEM drive, a stronger build - Oh, and I got it 5 months earlier for 35% cheaper and CAN STILL UPGRADE IT.

Anyone who comes at me about warranty, no way apple will have any idea I did anything as I can revert it back to stock flawlessy in 15 minutes. This wasn't complicated - I used a small flathead you use to fix glasses and watched a 3-4 youtube videos showing me EXACTLY what to do. Oh and I don't have any noisy fan issues, the heat has never been excessive for the type of processor, nor has it been too hot to touch.

The new pros are rumored to have LIQUIDMETAL casing which will be the most incredible thing ever, along with no optical drives, USB 3 (who is CLEARLY winning the port battle) probably some awesome gpu chip or like something amazing we have no idea about - and they'll STILL STAY upgradeable.

Hope this changes your mind and remember, stay troll free.

23. WickedPuddin macrumors member