Should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rican, Oct 23, 2012.

  1. rican macrumors 6502

    rican

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2008
    Location:
    Party in the USA
    #1
    Yes, it's another one of those however,

    I have a 2011 early MBP 2.2 ghz i7 and was interested in buying a 15inch 2.5 ghzMBPr ... is this not worth it?

    Why or why not? I have the funds to do it, it's just a matter of questioning the point.

    Thanks in advance. :eek:
     
  2. Spink10 macrumors 601

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #2
    If it wont hurt you financial over the long run - go for it - if you want
     
  3. Irock619 macrumors 68000

    Irock619

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2011
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #3
    No. Because the retina has a ton of issues with the display, no optical drive, no Ethernet, not user upgradable, etc etc etc....the list goes on. This is my opinion however. Go to your local Apple store and check one out, compare it to your current MBP. Make your own decision.
     
  4. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2012
    #4
    I mean it's all up to you (another one of those answers). Just wondering what screen size is your current MBP?
     
  5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #5
    I have no issues at all with mine. And it's 2012, who needs an optical? If so buy a $30 USB DVD burner or bluray player.

    On top of which the ssd is user upgradable.
     
  6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2012
    #6

    If u don't know, then frankly is no-point consumerism.
     
  7. tillsbury macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2007
    #7
    Not quite. Some people have had issues with the display, and they've had their MBPrs replaced. The vast majority are absolutely fine. No, there's no optical drive. Do you use or need one? No, Ethernet is also an extra-cost option. You can buy my adaptor if you like -- I ordered one but never use it as I get 150Mb/s over 802.11n anyway (would probably get more if I were nearer my router). No, it's not user-upgradable, order what you need at the beginning. "etc etc etc the list goes on"... err, no it doesn't, that's the complete list...
     
  8. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

    rican

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2008
    Location:
    Party in the USA
    #8
    15 inch as well...

    ----------

    I read about the issues - but I will definitely look into it in more depth.
     
  9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #9
    I agree. Some people just like to bitch, usually those who dont even have the machine but hear horror stories.
     
  10. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #10
    If you have the funds why even ask if you should buy it. I'd be using it already.
     
  11. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

    rican

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2008
    Location:
    Party in the USA
    #11
    Lol, I just like to make sure. :D
     
  12. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

    NewishMacGuy

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2007
    #12
    If you just want to spend money, I would think that there are better ways to do that (women, wine, & fast cars come to mind).

    I was looking at the same decision point when upgrading from my OLD OLD Macbook C2D, and scooped up an early 2011 cMBP-15 that I saw on CL for $900 last week. For that price difference I can wait for Haswell, 802.11ac, lower SSD pricing, and for the bugs to get sorted. If I had to buy a 2011-2012 cMBP-15 at market prices in the $1200-$1400 range, prolly would have gone for the rMBP-15 and flipped it for Haswell.
     
  13. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    #13
    Eh considering that it's just a 2011 model I would just say hold off and keep saving. I'd would wait till 2014 or at least until next year at the earliest (if you really wanted to get one).
     

Share This Page