Should I buy?

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
Yes, it's another one of those however,

I have a 2011 early MBP 2.2 ghz i7 and was interested in buying a 15inch 2.5 ghzMBPr ... is this not worth it?

Why or why not? I have the funds to do it, it's just a matter of questioning the point.

Thanks in advance. :eek:

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA

I have a 2011 early MBP 2.2 ghz i7 and was interested in buying a 15inch 2.5 ghzMBPr ... is this not worth it?

Why or why not? I have the funds to do it, it's just a matter of questioning the point.

No. Because the retina has a ton of issues with the display, no optical drive, no Ethernet, not user upgradable, etc etc etc....the list goes on. This is my opinion however. Go to your local Apple store and check one out, compare it to your current MBP. Make your own decision.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012

I mean it's all up to you (another one of those answers). Just wondering what screen size is your current MBP?

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
No. Because the retina has a ton of issues with the display, no optical drive, no Ethernet, not user upgradable, etc etc etc....the list goes on. This is my opinion however. Go to your local Apple store and check one out, compare it to your current MBP. Make your own decision.
I have no issues at all with mine. And it's 2012, who needs an optical? If so buy a $30 USB DVD burner or bluray player.

On top of which the ssd is user upgradable.

tillsbury

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2007
Not quite. Some people have had issues with the display, and they've had their MBPrs replaced. The vast majority are absolutely fine. No, there's no optical drive. Do you use or need one? No, Ethernet is also an extra-cost option. You can buy my adaptor if you like -- I ordered one but never use it as I get 150Mb/s over 802.11n anyway (would probably get more if I were nearer my router). No, it's not user-upgradable, order what you need at the beginning. "etc etc etc the list goes on"... err, no it doesn't, that's the complete list...

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
I mean it's all up to you (another one of those answers). Just wondering what screen size is your current MBP?
15 inch as well...

----------

I read about the issues - but I will definitely look into it in more depth.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
Not quite. Some people have had issues with the display, and they've had their MBPrs replaced. The vast majority are absolutely fine. No, there's no optical drive. Do you use or need one? No, Ethernet is also an extra-cost option. You can buy my adaptor if you like -- I ordered one but never use it as I get 150Mb/s over 802.11n anyway (would probably get more if I were nearer my router). No, it's not user-upgradable, order what you need at the beginning. "etc etc etc the list goes on"... err, no it doesn't, that's the complete list...
I agree. Some people just like to bitch, usually those who dont even have the machine but hear horror stories.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you have the funds why even ask if you should buy it. I'd be using it already.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007

If you just want to spend money, I would think that there are better ways to do that (women, wine, & fast cars come to mind).

I was looking at the same decision point when upgrading from my OLD OLD Macbook C2D, and scooped up an early 2011 cMBP-15 that I saw on CL for $900 last week. For that price difference I can wait for Haswell, 802.11ac, lower SSD pricing, and for the bugs to get sorted. If I had to buy a 2011-2012 cMBP-15 at market prices in the $1200-$1400 range, prolly would have gone for the rMBP-15 and flipped it for Haswell.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Eh considering that it's just a 2011 model I would just say hold off and keep saving. I'd would wait till 2014 or at least until next year at the earliest (if you really wanted to get one).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.