Should I buy.....

atticus1178

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
164
0
Austin, Texas
Should I buy:

PowerBook G4
15.2 inch
1.5 Ghz
Combo Drive
512 MB RAM
AT Radeon 9700 w/64 MB VRAM
80 GB HD
Perfect Condition

...they want 900 for it. Is that a good price?


P.S. This is not a scam, I have seen this laptop in person and have used it and I know that it works fine.
 

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
10,648
31
San Francisco, CA
It all depends on how long you want to keep it and what you are going to use it for.

Are you interested in BootCamp? Do you need the latest and greatest? Will you be happy with this purchase if you decide to buy it?

Ultimately, this is a decision that you will have to make.
 

atticus1178

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
164
0
Austin, Texas
EricNau said:
It all depends on how long you want to keep it and what you are going to use it for.

Are you interested in BootCamp? Do you need the latest and greatest? Will you be happy with this purchase if you decide to buy it?

Ultimately, this is a decision that you will have to make.
No need for bootcamp, I have a crappy PC for that stuff.

I am just wondering if it is a good price?
 

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
10,648
31
San Francisco, CA
That powerbook is better than the 14" iBook ($1299) and with the exception of screen size and superdrive, it is almost identical to the 12" Powerbook ($1499).

I'd say it's a good price (but beware, the intel macbooks might be right around the corner for a few hundred dollars more).
 

atticus1178

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
164
0
Austin, Texas
FFTT said:
It's sounds good but I'd take a look at the RAM slots and check the System Profiler.

Also, you should ask to run the hardware test CD before you finalized the deal.
I know that both the Ram slots are good, because it used to have 1 GB RAM (2x512), so both slots worked fine.

Good idea about the Hardware Test. Thanks!
 

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
825
16
It sounds like a pretty good deal to me. How long ago was it originally purchased? Maybe there is a little bit of AppleCare left on it??
 

atticus1178

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
164
0
Austin, Texas
Sean7512 said:
It sounds like a pretty good deal to me. How long ago was it originally purchased? Maybe there is a little bit of AppleCare left on it??
This is the funny part. It still has Apple Limited Warranty left......7 days of it. I would have to buy AppleCare ASAP......if I wanted it.
 

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
825
16
atticus1178 said:
This is the funny part. It still has Apple Limited Warranty left......7 days of it. I would have to buy AppleCare ASAP......if I wanted it.
Hmm...you better buy that thing really really soon then! And rush out and buy AppleCare. I'd say that it is a really good deal and will be enough for you. Obviously, just bump the ram up to a gig+. My 1.25ghz emac still runs GREAT, i LOVE it!