Should I camp outside the Apple store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dylanbrown, Aug 22, 2008.

1. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

We'll, I've been holding off an iPod for about 4 months now, and its really exciting that rumours are popping up of a September release of some new iPod's and MacBook's.

My question is, do people camp outside the Apple store, just for an iPod. I mean, the iPhone, people camped out for that. Would it be the same for just an iPod.

The only reason I am doing this is because I just want the experience. Being one of the few first people into the store.

What do y'all think?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

What next? People camp out for a dock cable? Or a mighty mouse?

3. wako macrumors 65816

what the hell is wrong with you?! You havent started camping already? I been sitting infront of my Apple store since the day I heard the rumor!

4. dylanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, true, I just wanted to know if anyone else would do it, because I don't want to look like a fool if I'm the only one there!

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

or better yet, order it online. no lines to wait in.

6. wilmor42 macrumors regular

wilmor42

so sad..really tho, people dying and getting blown up in the world whilst other people debate on wether to queue outside a building for a product that they could just get anyway and not queue for.. awesome.. ahh the joys of missanthropy..

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

[​IMG]

Sympathy fail. Now go drive your Prius that's saving the world one empty gas tank at a time. Then again... I know not whether the weather is nice enough for a drive today. :rolleyes:

To the OP: I don't think you will need to camp out, you might just get to an Apple Store early, but buying an iPod isn't quite like an iPhone. People waited in line for the first phone, because it was something crazy new and ground breaking. People waited for the second phone, because they knew they'd have to spend an hour in the store getting it activated, and the sooner they got it over with the better. However iPods have been refreshed many times and this will just be the 6.5 gen, or 7 gen iPod, nothing too special.

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

In fact, there's no guarantee that the newer iPod will even be announced before its release, so you'd look pretty silly just camping out every night waiting for one :p.

9. darklyt macrumors regular

Also, people knew when the iPhone was being released, while I doubt anyone will know for sure when the iPods will be updated. There might be an event announced by Apple, but you don't know for sure that it's being released. That's why no one was waiting outside of Apple/AT&T stores during WWDC because even though it was rumored that they could be released then, it wasn't (just announced).

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Most iPods have not been released in store the same day as the announcements (In recent memory)

11. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

If they announce the release date, you could go to the store about an hour before they open and there might be a few people there. Could be fun! I've seen people line up for a wii when they are on sale once in a while.

Cheers.

12. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

people dont camp outside stores just because of a rumor... you need to at least know when its coming out and what you are actually waiting for.

13. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Ok, I guess I will get out of line then.

14. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

They announce new products typically at 10am-noon PST depending on what event they're at, they won't refresh the apple store website until after the entire presentation is done and stores will not sell any product until the website is up (at least in my experience) which on the east coast would bring it till about 3:30 to 4 pm. At least that is what happened when I went over to buy the 1st iphone after they announced the price drop. I had to wait in the store until it showed up on apple store (which was about 15 minutes after my arrival).

Also, like the other post said, there is a chance they might not even release it the day it's announced.

15. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Yeah.. go camp out at the store. Just make sure and take your family and friends so that you're not the only one there.

16. dylanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

Wait a minute, I could see if the Apple store will pay me to stand outside like Orange are doing!

By the way, the new iPods are expected to be announced September 5th

I see what you guys all mean, thanks anyway, I'll think I'll just go up to the store early the day they are released.

Thanks anyway

Dylan

17. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

dude. If you want to camp, go for it. Why need to start a thread on this and ask people?

18. iCries macrumors regular

according to who is it supposed to be 5th september?

19. dylanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone

Well, it was a rumour, can't remember which website, but it did say Sep 5th

Anyway thanks for your opinions

20. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

On a friday? hmm...