Should I cancel my Best Buy pre-order?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by njalijoe, Jun 15, 2010.

  1. njalijoe macrumors newbie

    Feb 7, 2009
    I can get through now on to get the 16gb Iphone without a problem. Apple is saying I will be delivered on the 24th. Problem is I pre-ordered earlier today at Best Buy and put $50 down via gift card. Should I go ahead an order via Apple or just keep my Best Buy pre-order?
  2. thadoggfather macrumors G3


    Oct 1, 2007
    I got a best buy preorder too. I would stick with it because...

    I did the preorder and got it shipped launch day last year with 3GS but the delivery guy came at like 4pm.

    with best buy, you can get it early in the day.

    Good luck
  3. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816


    May 25, 2006
    There's no gaurantee of getting your iPhone on the 24th with BB, right? Especially with this insane demand. If it were me, I would go with Apple. But hey, that's just my opinion ;)
  4. mastershakess macrumors 6502

    May 14, 2008
    Bel Air, MD
    I would imagine they would set the pre-orders aside when they open on the 24th
  5. thadoggfather macrumors G3


    Oct 1, 2007
    Yeah they will hold it launch day but after that it's up in the air.

    Isn't that the point of a pre-order?
  6. Built macrumors 68020

    Oct 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I am in the same position as you...I posted this earlier but wanted to post again my reasons for keeping my Best Buy pre-order until at least the 23rd...

    I pre-ordered a Black 32GB this morning at Best Buy. Good experience. I was 3rd for the 32GB Black and 6th overall.

    Since I can never seem to take NO for an answer, I decided to try again this afternoon, and...wouldn't you processed me all the way through to the cart with the Black 32GB. I kept saving the cart over and over until I decided I might as well order...

    These are my reasons...

    1. My first choice really was (when I woke up this AM) to have the iPhone delivered to my house, and have ME be the first human (after the factory workers who made it, of course) to touch it. I wanted to be able to activate it at my leisure.

    2. I figured I can track the order through the process over the next few days. If it doesn't ship by the 22nd, or 23rd, I can either call up and cancel, or if it is too late, I can bring it into a store unopened later on to return it.

    3. If it ships by the 22nd, or 23rd, I will call BB to cancel my pre-order, which just means that one more person on the list can get the phone (assuming BB does not receive enough).

    4. The threads regarding activation problems got me they were intended to do...If things were so bad today, I can only imagine the meltdown on the 24th when EVERYBODY is trying to activate, with all the various permutations (family accounts, multiple lines, FANS, etc.) AT&T is clearly not up to the task. Instead, if I receive the iPhone on the 24th, I can unbox it, and patiently wait until the 26th or 27th (I believe I can do that. )
    If I pick it up from BB on the 24th, I have to activate it there, and that can be a lengthy process. Of course, I can alway set my BB appointment for the 26th or 27th.

    I am just looking at giving myself options. As long as Apple ships ASAP before the 24th, for delivery on the 24th, I will stick with that...and release another iPhone for a BB buyer.
  7. casedogg311 macrumors member

    Oct 12, 2009
    I would find out where you are on the pre order list, if you're higher than 30 I would cancel. If you're below that I think you're good.
  8. Knowimagination macrumors 68000


    Apr 6, 2010
    I'm sure your best buy wont mind you taking it home and activating it yourself. For the 3GS launch last year I just told her to leave the box wrapped and I would come back if I had any problems. I didn't want anyone touching it either :)
  9. thadoggfather macrumors G3


    Oct 1, 2007
    Yeah best buy is looser than an Apple or AT&T store I would say.

Share This Page