thumper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Under the Sea
i got a 17" powerbook 1.33 with 512 RAM

will leopard work???
i heard you need at least 512 ram
and at least a 1.6 cpu for dvd play back or something...

:(
should i cancel my order???

Kodex

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2003
Should run decently. I would recommend upgrading the RAM if possible though

Comment

djnardu

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
There are people planning on trying Leopord with a 400 mhz G4 :rolleyes:

It should run, not as smooth as say a new Intel Mac, but it should run.

Comment

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
You Should Be OK

That's getting long in the tooth. But Leopard will mostly work. Some features require Intel processors. But you will benefit from most of Leopard's features. We don't know what that DVD playback spec means yet. I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh yeah I agree with Kodex & Peace you should put in two 1GB sticks to max out the ram. 512MB of ram is fairly pathetic. Hope if you just bought it you didn't pay very much for it.

Comment

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
i got a 17" powerbook 1.33 with 512 RAM

will leopard work???
i heard you need at least 512 ram
and at least a 1.6 cpu for dvd play back or something...

:(
should i cancel my order???
I'd buy a gig of ram if I was you. not sure of the price for it but check out Crucial Ram or other store named above. You'd be suprised the difference you see with Leopard or not. The 1.6 Ghz requirement is just for improved de-interlacing in dvd player which I think is just 1 of 300+ new features.

Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
RAM is cheap. Dump the original RAM for 2 x 512. You'll be good then.

The 1.6Ghz req. is for IMPROVED deinterlaced DVD playback NOT for DVD playback.

Comment

thumper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Under the Sea
That's getting long in the tooth. But Leopard will mostly work. Some features require Intel processors. But you will benefit from most of Leopard's features. We don't know what that DVD playback spec means yet. I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh yeah I agree with Kodex & Peace you should put in two 1GB sticks to max out the ram. 512MB of ram is fairly pathetic. Hope if you just bought it you didn't pay very much for it.
how much would you think its worth to buy?

Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Counter productive? If OP has 512MB now, doubling his RAM cannot be COUNTER productive. Would 2GB of RAM be better than 1GB RAM? Possibly, if he has a reason to need that much RAM. A Ferarri would be faster than a BMW too.

Given OP has been presumably happily using 512MB in his 4 y.o. machine doubling the RAM should give him a great experience w/ Leopard and help him from spending more $ than he needs to. I don't get the impression OP is a power user w/ 15 apps open while he edits in PS or FCP.

Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
how much would you think its worth to buy?
How do you use your Mac? You seem happy w/ the performance right now w/ 512MB. What apps do you use and how many do you keep open at one time? More is usually better, but its also silly to buy more than you need.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.