Should I cancel my order?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacAddiction, Oct 28, 2016.

  1. MacAddiction macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2007
    #1
    In anticipation of yesterday's event and wanting to go for a lighter option, I sold my 13" i7 3.1 GHz 1TB 16GB 2015 on eBay this past Sunday ($1725). I'm having trouble getting payment on the item which could be a blessing in disguise.

    Last night I ordered the 13" No Touch Bar/8GB/2.0Ghz i5/512SSD. I'll shed some thickness and about .5 pounds (space grey seems cool!). It just went into the "processing" status.

    I don't think I'm gaining anything speed wise and giving up 50% of my hard drive space. With the education pricing its pretty much an even swap as far as price.

    My finger is on that cancel button. Any thoughts?
     
  2. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

    Wreckus

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2015
    Location:
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    #2
    Personally, I wouldn't of bought the new MacBook Pro until you got the payment of your old MacBook Pro.

    With that said, I would cancel until you get your payment or you save up and get the one w/ the touchbar. Upgrading to the new MacBook pro w/ no touchbar is pointless and a waste of money IMO as you had (or have) a great machine that will last a few more years.
     
  3. Jmausmuc macrumors 6502

    Jmausmuc

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2014
    #3
    Why would you want to switch from a 3.1 GhZ 16GB Ram 1TB HDD to a Machine with only 2 GhZ, only 8GB of Ram and half the hard drive space?

    Just for the updated looks and .5 pounds?? You won't even get to have the touch strip...

    I would never do that!
     
  4. cardfan macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2012
    #4
    In the 13" category, I'm not sure why you'd care. I'd keep the older one and cancel. Give it another year.
     
  5. MacAddiction thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2007
    #5
    Thanks for these. The more I read the more I don't feel like I'm gaining. I'm going for more portability so I can't justify the price of the MacBook either (although it does look great). I gave my wife my old MacBook Air and have actually gone back to using it in the interim. It gives me what I need while I obsess over the decision! What a geek.....
     
  6. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2015
    #6
    Cancel everything and wait until you're able to make a non-emotional, objective decision.
     
  7. MacAddiction thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2007
  8. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    #8
    Rather than getting the 13 with no touch bar, I just ordered a refurbished i7 3.1 with 16G, a keyboard that doesn't completely suck, and actual useful ports for $1600.
     
  9. MF878 macrumors regular

    MF878

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2011
    Location:
    Auckland, New Zealand
    #9
    The non-Touch Bar model is a glorified Air, which is fine for people coming from an Air (though the price premium is hefty), but is a step down in performance for people coming from any somewhat recent Pro. It's a sort of odd anamoly in the new Pro lineup, not sure why Apple didn't put that spec in a 13" with the regular MacBook name.
     
  10. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #10
    First off, cancel the order and then straighten out the sale of your machine, either by getting the payment or cancelling it outright.

    If you cancel outright, take a day or two and decompress and determine if the newer machines are what you want, in terms of features, performance and function.
     
  11. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2012
    #11
    I would have kept your old computer all day long. Not sure why you sold it in favor of one of the new ones, but I'd hang on to it for few more years, let the new MacBooks run their course and mature. My ten cents worth.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 28, 2016 ---
    I just did the same thing, ordered a 2015 15" Macbook Pro from Apple's refurb website. $1699 for a quad core cpu, 16G ram, and a way better keyboard. In my opinion, a much better value for all the same reasons that you stated.
     
  12. Helpfixit macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2015
    #12

    I would cancel the order, and buy a larger SSD for the 2015 13" rMBP if in your position. The internal flash storage is now permanently fixed to the logic board just like the RAM on the new 2016 rMBP and can't be later upgraded. Out of warranty repair will be costly.
     
  13. MacAddiction thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2007
    #13
    Thanks again everyone. I canceled everything and will be PERFECTLY happy with my 2015 13" i7 3.1 GHz 1TB 16GB. Everybody wins and I'll study up on how things proceed with these new MacBook Pros. Maybe I'll take the leap on the next upgrade.
     
  14. NT1440 macrumors G4

    NT1440

    Joined:
    May 18, 2008
    Location:
    Hartford, CT
    #14
    Why in the world would you be upgrading the highest end machine after only a years use to begin with? My 2009 MBP lasted until 2015 and only died because of a soda mishap. I don't plan on leaving my 2015 model until 2020 at the earliest....
     
  15. Wallabe, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

    Wallabe macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2015
    #16
    Cancel it. Keep what you have. 16GB and 1TB SSD is way better. Wait a year, let the touch bar market mature before you actually get the full benefit of it. Also let the USB-C market mature, so in a year, you won't even have to deal with dongles, probably except the SD card slot. Traditional USB will be the legacy ports by then.

    By then when the market mature, and Apple releases the second release of the USB-C MBP, prices will come down and you can get an even faster machine.
     
  16. MacAddiction thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2007
    #17
    This is so beautifully articulated! Thank you!!
     

Share This Page