Should I cancel my order?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pneublet, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Pneublet macrumors member

I've been waiting for the new revision of the MPB and now that it's out I joined the ADC and ordered my new laptop. Since then I've been reading this forum as well as a couple others and I'm worried I made a bad decision. I know if my computer arrives and it's a faulty model it will be replaced, but I don't know how that process will even go. Being that I ordered through the ADC I don't even know how those orders are handled. I'm mostly concerned about the faulty screens, loose parts inside, fitment issues, and a few others.

That being said, since the members here (for the most part) seem to be the best informed, should I cancel my order and wait for Apple to clear up these issues or are the majority of these computers just fine and odds are mine will be ok?

2. andtwo macrumors newbie

I would get Apple Care, and let Apple deal with the problem later on. That's my plan at least.

3. brentsg macrumors 68030

I'm not sure how you expect people to answer that.

Let me summarize the responses you should expect.

Guy with problems: You should wait

Guy without problems: Go for it!

Guy that isn't buying one and hates them: You should never buy one

Guy that thinks they are awesome but can't get one: Go for it!

4. Pneublet thread starter macrumors member

Yea, that's pretty much what I was expecting. Maybe a little more critical with reasoning behind each one. Such as "If you're under the ADC and your laptop needs to be fixed it can't be fixed in-store, so anytime you have a problem you'll be out of a laptop for weeks". I dunno if that's true but I'm trying to get some constructive criticism. If the question is too open ended and generic then I guess the thread will just die and I'll have to make a decision quickly.

5. Crash1234 macrumors regular

I'll just tell you what happened to me personally which obviously does not represent people's mbp experience as a whole. Although, my experience seems to indicate that mbp issues are NOT few and far between and re not simply isolated occurrences. So, unless my apple store simply got a bad batch, I don't really know.

So, I've gone through three mbp's. All three of them had warped lids. By that I mean that when closed, one side of the lid was gapped so that it sat a bit abouve the bottom of the laptop while the other side sat flush. The gap made it very easy to open that affected side of the laptop with very little pressure which worried me. Also, EVERY display model in my local store had this issue. So that's 6 mbp's in total that I saw, all with that issue. THe first mbp also had something funky with the optical drive where it wouldnt' always accept discs. It was as if something was blocking the hole. A lot of times I would have to hit the eject button (even though there was no disc inside) before the optical drive would accept a disc.

I brought that one back to the apple store and got a replacement. Along with the warped lid, it felt as if there was something loose inside the casing. Whenever I picked it up, whether the laptop was off or on, I could feel something moving around inside. I brought that one back for a third replacement and the third had the same issues as number two and the worst warped lid of any I had seen before.

I brought mbp number three back to the store where they told me that they admitted that my complaints were legit but they would not give me another exchange. They told me I could either keep the one I had at the time or simply return it all together and get a full refund. I opted for the refund. So at this time I am without a laptop even though I truly do want one of these notebooks. They are beautiful machines. All I ask is to get one without flaws.

Now, it's so strange that EVERY single mbp I've seen with my own two eyes has been faulty and yet there are so many people who seem to be getting perfect ones. I'm not saying there aren't perfect one's, I'm just voicing my shock that all three of my exchanges as well as the display models all had faults. What's going on apple? So from my personal experience, at this time, I'd say it's really a crapshoot as to whether you'll get a good one or a faulty one.

Oh and all the mbp's also had that loose display hinge issue where if you life the book up at an agle too quickly the screen flops forward. I didn't mention that abouve as I don't normally sit with my laptop at an angle but I know some people do.

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Odds are you'll be fine and if not there is no cost to you to have another new one sent. People reporting issues are likely a small percentage overall. Issues stand out here because mainly users with issues are writing posts. I just ordered a new mbp myself today. If worse comes to worst, I'll send it back and pay the repackaging fee, but seriously doubt that will happen.

7. wesrk macrumors 6502a

why worry about something that hasn't happened yet?

Your laptop will probably be just fine, and if it isn't then I'm sure you're covered under the warranty. I don't personally know, but I would think that if your laptop comes with a problem, Apple should be able to fix it.

Also, you can't worry about everything man, if you do, soon enough you won't even leave your house for fear that something will fall on you from the sky.

PS. You should read the ADC pages, I'm sure there must be an answer to this question somewhere in there. And that goes to people thinking about joining and buying a new machine. Read the whole thing first.

8. Pneublet thread starter macrumors member

It's not about worrying about something that hasn't happened yet. I just don't know what I'm in for if it does come as a faulty model. I was just hoping to get opinions on the situation from people who are for more informed than I am.

And I know most of the people who post are complaining because if you get a good model you don't have incentive to post in on the forums, but I've been reading articles in places other than the forums about the faulty models apple has produced. It's just a huge investment to me and I don't know if it's worth the hassle right now.

9. mlmorg macrumors member

Nowhere in the ADC Discount Hardware Agreement does it say anything like that.

Buying a machine using the ADC discount is basically exactly the same as buying it without it...the only difference that I can see is that you are not automatically entitled to a return of the item...It's up to apple and how good you are at begging + a 15% restocking fee.

If you are worried enough that you don't want to buy the machine then don't buy the machine. If you're worried your ADC discount will bite you in the ass then don't buy it through ADC.

Either way you get 1 year free warranty on the machine and 3 years if you decide to buy applecare so it's not like you're f***ed the moment you buy it...

10. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

A psych student should really do a paper on some of these threads and the obsessive compulsive behavior. From the "perpetual update waiting syndrome" to the "delusional non-immaculate hyperactivity dysfunction" threads these forums are riddled with. I'm sure they'd have a field day.

11. mlmorg macrumors member

+1 that made my day

12. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

So true.

13. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Don't forget "Post impulsebuying, hypersensitivity disorder". It is not just here, other notebook forums (non Apple) have a plethora of similar symptoms.

[​IMG]

14. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

apple will fix it in store. if the computer needs to be replaced the new one has to be shipped from the online store. so it will be 6-10 days for the replacement to arrive.

15. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The slightly warped, gapped on one corner, it-doesn't-sit-flush brigade, are not the people you should listen to. Your system, over time, more that likely will have this difficulty. As long as you can close the lid, be happy; if it stays in the open position, get it fixed pronto.

You can prevent it staying open by never pushing it back too far.

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

By questioning your order you have already answered the question yourself.
    Do you really want something your not sure you'll like? I wouldn't.