Should I care about AppleCare? (trackpad issue)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Amerabian, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Amerabian macrumors regular

I got my MBP in early May this year,

At that time I was planning for traveling, wasn't sure when I'm going back to the US, and ultimately didn't feel like purchasing the AppleCare protection plan.

As of now, I'm noticing the trackpad making a slight "tick" sound when I touch it to click.. Is that normal? That sound wasn't there when I first purchased the device but now it "ticks" every time I tap as if the repeated use seperated two layers.. :confused:

For those of you who have AppleCare, is it worth it?

2. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

I don't have AppleCare, but it's worth it. This month, my logic board failed and had to be replaced. The same day I got it back, the hard drive failed. The hard drive replacement alone cost what AppleCare costs. AppleCare can save you some serious money if you plan to keep your Mac at least 3 years. Then again, some Macs will never need repairs in three years. It's better to be safe than sorry.

3. Amerabian thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! :apple:

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I seem to have needed a few repairs on some of my notebooks and AppleCare seems to take of some small issues I could probably ignore on other machines. For these, I would say AppleCare has been a good choice.

I would conclude I've never really needed AppleCare on my Mac Pro probably because it never gets moved and all of the parts are designed to run 24/7 for years anyways. That's not to say I wasted money getting AppleCare because for all I know if I didn't have AppleCare my computer would probably have died already.

5. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

huh?

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's a game of odds. With my luck (and I'm assuming alphaod feels the same way), if I get AppleCare, the machine never has a problem, but if I don't, I'll end up paying for multiple repairs or replacing the machine. It's not that having AppleCare prevents problems, but it's a peace of mind thing.

Granted, I actually did have AppleCare replace a machine that was 2.5 years old with a brand new model, so I've more than got my money's worth out of it, but even if I hadn't, I'd still think it a worthwhile investment.

jW

7. EvenStranger macrumors member

My advice on AppleCare has always been "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." Like others have said, a single repair can easily cost as much as the agreement itself.

Also, I've found that having AppleCare on a computer does make it easier to sell later if you choose to, and usually for more than comparable systems without AppleCare.

8. RayK macrumors 6502

I strongly recommend AppleCare. I work on these machines every day at my job and they do have issues at times and parts/labor is expensive