Should I care about dust?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by fedecape, Jun 17, 2014.

1. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

Hello guys

I have carpet in my room, and whenever I walk I can see millions of dust particles flying around. I usually clean my desk every morning, as dust accumulates during the night.

I connect my MBA (Signature) to a 24 inch display, and I tend leave the computer with the lid open for better cooling. The problem is that after a few hours, dust accumulates on the keyboard. I do some moderate gaming and video editing, and with the fan spinning at max RPM I'm sure it's sucking all that dirt.

Should I be worried about it? I thought about those air blowers. I can just 'spray' some air, but I don't know if that can damage the electronics inside.

Thank you

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

No.

3. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Yes.

I remove the fans of my MBP every six months and clean the fans and other fan-related parts with a soft toothbrush. Do not use compressed air!

The temperature of the processor/GPU drops after the cleaning and the MBP runs much quiter than before.

4. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

You don't need to do any of that and taking apart your computer every six months is insane.

Just live in a cleaner environment! If your carpet is kicking up a load of dust then your computer is the last thing to worry about. You are breathing that dust and dirt in with each breath you take. Get rid of the cheap carpet.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

:eek: With the greatest of respect, that's overkill and completely unnecessary. Macs have the best thermal displacement I've ever seen in a portable. Plus they don't really get clogged. As a poster above mentioned, if you're getting a lot of dust on your fans it's likely to be related to your environment.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Or at least vacuum it once in a while.

7. fedecape thread starter macrumors 6502

fedecape

It doesn't help. My carpet is a dust factory.

I have an air purifier running non stop 24/7 close to my working desk, but still not enough.

I wanted to read your opinions before giving up.

8. walkthruwalls macrumors member

walkthruwalls

Why not?

9. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It does, constantly when on, just very quietly under most circumstances. If you put it through its paces (like, converting a video, or processing a lot of image files) then the fans kick up to high RPM and you can hear it.

11. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

I guess i don't put my MBA to the test much as I never hear the fan. I was wondering more if the fan blows hot air out only or if it had an inlet and outlet. I imagine they are at the hinge area as I don't see any other areas they could be on my MBA.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Dust can kill your machine, but it would take a long time and you'd have to be pretty unlucky.

13. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

14. bully worm macrumors regular

I don't know about you but I actually use my Craftsman leaf blower twice a month to get rid of dust in my Air.

Srs.