Should I change from Windows to MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amrabari, Dec 23, 2012.

1. amrabari macrumors member

Hello all,
    I am new to Apple products, and I got my iPhone 5 & iPad Mini as my first Apple products... And I love these products, and now I am thinking to get MBP as it will fully integrate with the iPhone & iPad

However as I didn't touch any Mac laptops or desktop before as I am all life long Windows user, it's scares me. As I am worried that all my programs will not work, and I can't use the MBP as the way I used the windows ..

I use the laptop for MS office, outlook, downloading movies & music, watching movies, browsing Internet... Normal everyday use ..

Looking at the expensive prices of the MBP, is it worth to switch from windows to Mac ?

2. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

I would say yes. I love OS X and will never buy a Windows computer again. In fact, the thought of using Windows now makes me slightly queasy.

Microsoft Office is available for OS X, so you're covered there. In OS X, Outlook is replaced by four separate apps - just like on your iPad: Mail, Calendar, Reminders and Notes. These also all sync over iCloud to all your other devices.

There is a learning curve when switching operating systems, but honestly the jolt isn't that huge. You don't have to learn how to type or use a mouse all over again, for instance.

3. ScholarsInk macrumors regular

Who says you need to drop Windows if you got an MBP? Boot Camped Macs are up there with the best PCs.

4. ahdickter macrumors 6502

^this. Installing Parallels or VMware fusion will also allow you to run Windows applications in a virtual machine while running OS X in the background for quick switching.

Bootcamp drivers for Windows are smooth enough that it's a relatively easy transition to the Mac product line. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. Good luck!

5. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Well, a Mac will perform most taks a Windows computer does.

For your usage pattern, this is how I see it:

Microsoft Office: It is available for Mac. But the Windows version is WAY better. There are alternatives, such as Apple iWork, but, as neat as it may be, it's not the real thing, and there might be compatibility problems. Microsoft Office 2010 (and soon 2013) for Windows is still the best office suite in the world, hands down.

Outlook: It's a Microsoft program, and part of Microsoft Office. As such, expect the Windows version to be better than the Mac version. There are e-mail software for Mac, but if you use it for the enterprise, you may want to stick with Outlook.

Download movies and music: A Mac or a PC will do the job. iTunes is an Apple program, and it works better on a Mac than on a PC.

Watching movies: Doesn't make a difference.

Browsing Internet: Doesn't make a difference either. But you should notice that Internet Explorer is only available for Windows, and it is the most compatible web browser around. Also, for reading web pages, see that Windows and Mac render fonts on the screen in a different manner.

6. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

A MBP can do all the things that you list. The Mac Version of Office (2011) in my opinion is a little better than Office 2010 for Windows as far as the UI is concerned at they kept the menu bar as well as giving you the ribbon. My only issue with the Mac version of office is that it can be a little sluggish with large files, particularly Excel. For file compatibility it is almost perfect with Office 2010 for Windows.

The Mac experience is generally better if you are happy to stay inside Apple's walled garden of iTunes when it comes to media files. You might have some issues with movie files that you have downloaded if they are in Windows Media format. You can get plugins that will enable you to play these files in Quicktime, but I have found these to be a little buggy. You can use a 3rd party Player like VLC to play them back though.

As you already have a iPad you will benefit from iCloud (Apple's cloud file and data synching solution) to sync documents and other data back to your Mac.

As a safety net you can use a program like parallels to run all your existing Microsoft Apps side by side with Mac Apps, or you could create a Widows Partition using Apple's Bootcamp to boot directly into Windows. However you will need a suitable full version of Windows in order to use either of these, but may enable you to make a gradual transition to the Mac OS.

As for your question of is it worth it - well only you can decide that, but based on your needs I don't think you will have too many issues. I have over the years helped 20+ friends switch from Windows to Mac, only one did not like it and switched back.

7. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Yes, I don't know why people constantly knock Mac Office, it's not at all bad. And the benefit of having the permanent menu is a big one. Otherwise you're not going to notice the difference, other than it'll be more fun.

If you have a requirement for occasional use of Windows, try VirtualBox first, which is free and works well. You can't do gaming on it or anything heavily graphical, but for occasional apps it's fine. VMWare or Parallels are commercial alternatives. Bootcamp is fine if you want to run Windows, but I have found that the drivers are very patchy and it takes too long to reboot from one to the other usually -- 30 seconds is too long to be handy.

I'm 6 months in to what you're describing. No insurmountable problems yet.

----------

Baaaaahahaha!

8. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Unless you WANT a Mac, there's really no NEED to switch to OS X. Windows XP and 7 are just as good, and actually better for gaming.

I use both, staying away from Windows 8 for however long as I can, and there're equally good for normal usage.

As for MS Office, it is a much better experience on the Windows platform.

I have the Lenovo ThinkPad T530 and it is a beast :)

9. octatonic macrumors regular

octatonic

I had to use Windows the other day to fix an issue with my wife's work computer.

Man I hated it.

10. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

11. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

You will be able to do all of those things on a Mac. What someone else said about Internet Explorer being the most compatible is blatantly false. It is not a standards based browser and is wacko compared to browsers like Firefox/Safari.

12. Poisonivy326 macrumors 6502

IE is by far the most sluggish web browser around. Chrome, Safari and Firefox are all way faster and more reliable.

Mac Office is pretty much the same as Windows Office ... Okay, gets the job done.

iTunes is a rather annoying program on both windows and Mac but its faster on a Mac. Syncing with the iPad and iPhone is easier on a Mac.

Videos ... Windows supports more file formats, you have to download a few programs on a Mac to make some video files compatible.

File organization is easier on Macs ... They kind of really baby it for you.

Adobe PDF files manage to be equally irritating to download/format on both Windows and Macs. Both big causes of system crashes.

The OSX has one quirk I dislike immensely and it's that using the x button doesn't actually close the program. Have to command+q to do that, as a result programs might run in the background without your knowledge and eat up battery/slow the computer.

Less viruses written for OSX.

Windows and OSX really aren't that different nowadays if you're just a basic computer user. Hardcore gamers will prefer Windows. Casual computer users probably will find the Mac OS more intuitive.

13. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

If you have the money to drop on one yes. If not, no. You don't need a macbook pro to integrate with ios you can with windows as well. I do prefer mac os x to windows. I love the design mush more as well.

14. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

for real work and gaming = Windows.

For casual use, facebooking, messaging, email, etc = Mac.

You cannot really be as productive on a Mac when you do real work such as 3d parametric modeling, programming, etc...

I prefer having a mac where I can enjoy the best of both worlds via bootcamp. The people who only use Mac and swear by it are usually people who facebook all day or download pictures or photoshop.

15. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Well, I see people didn't really like my comments about Mac Office as it being inferior to the Windows version.

In fact, Microsoft Office for Windows is a superior piece of software. It is faster, consumes less memory, is better designed, has more features and is more compatible. Better in every aspect.

Microsoft spent a lot of money in the development of Office 2010 (I remember I read somewhere that the budget of Office 2010 was about US$ 900 million per year). Office for Mac did not get so much attention, as it is a far less popular suite. The budget that Microsoft is able to spend on Office for Windows guarantees that it absolutely crushes every other office suite in the world. No contest at all. And that guarantees that Microsoft keeps being an essential player in the business market.

If you just need Microsoft Office for basic tasks, if you just want to get the job done and get rid of it as fast as you can, or if you're not really interested in all that Microsoft Office can offer, then you may not see a real difference between the Windows and the Mac versions. But if you want to spend countless hours using Microsoft Office, if you need all the features, and if office productivity is the core of your computer usage, then it may make A LOT of difference.

But then, again, it depends on your usage.

----------

I don't like Internet Explorer either. But it is still the most popular web browser, and there are websites (a few, but there are) that will only run properly on Internet Explorer, as much as you may despise it.

If you want to get the job done, then yes, it is. If you want the real thing, with all the features, for full office productivity, then Office for Mac doesn't hold a candle to Office for Windows. Trust me. Office for Mac is not for real office work. I've tried that, and I was really disappointed.

16. Poisonivy326 macrumors 6502

I don't doubt that maybe Office for Windows has more features but if you want to type a letter or document, make a spreadsheet, put together a basic presentation (I'm a teacher), then Office for Mac is fine and gets the job done.

Actually having used both OS's I think that they both can be annoying. I'm not an OSX fanboy ... It's just that I think that if you're the average computer user switching to OS is easy and not really a cause of worry.

As for IE no offense but does anyone really use it anymore? When I was using Windows I used chrome and Firefox. Now I use chrome and safari. Of al, the Windows apps IE is the one I miss the least. A horrible, slow, buggy web browser with Bing instead of the much superior google.

17. Livewings macrumors regular

You will regret it.
    Office for Mac sucks compared to Windows counterpart.

18. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Erm, NO viruses written for OSX.

Read This, Malware FAQ

Another good thing about OS X!!

19. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

I use Windows a lot on my MacBook Pro, sure why not? You have a choice of what OS you want to run.

20. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I like Office 2011 from what I've used. I, too, switch from Windows (from which I had previously switched from Mac, years and years ago, before OS X, glad to be back). I already owned Office 2010. Didn't feel like buying a new copy when I still had a license left, so I run Office 2010 inside Parallels, works great!

21. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Ok, Office for Windows 2011 for Mac, compared to Office for Windows 2010.

A few people have said that Office for Mac 'Sucks' or 'Has More Features, or is more Compatible'. In general all these comments have not been specific about why it sucks or what features it lacks, or why they feel it is less compatible.

Now I can only assume their experience of Office for Mac is for a version before 2011, and if that was the case I would agree with them. It might be because Office for Windows can include other applications outside of the three core Applications of Word, Powerpoint and Excel - in which case I agree with them - Office for Mac does not have equivalent Applications for Access, OneNote, Project, Publisher or Visio.

I would also agree that the version of Outlook for Mac in Office 2011 is not as good as the version in Office 2010.

I can't comment on Office 2013, as I have never used it, and to be honest most large corporations are unlikely to adopt it for a least a year, a lot of companies are still running 2007 and earlier.

However Office for Mac 2011 as far as Word, Powerpoint and Excel are concerned is almost 100% feature compatible for most users. One of the big issues with Office for Mac 2008 was Microsoft dropped VBA support, and then reintroduced it back for Office 2011.

I am a long time Office user and have been using Office since the first initial release for Windows, and I use Office for both Windows and Mac in a business that is Windows based. The only shortcoming I have had is Office for Mac can be a little sluggish when dealing with large documents, particularly large spreadsheets.

I actually prefer Office 2011, because I personally hated it when Microsoft dropped the menu bar for the ribbon in Office for Windows.

So it would be helpful if those people who just make one word statements of 'it sucks' actually explain why they feel that way.

22. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

I am in the IT field and work with Windows every day. As others have said, Office 2010 is a superior product if you depend on it heavily for your job. If you are a casual Office user, Office for Macintosh will be just fine. If your company uses Microsoft Exchange for an email server, Outlook for Macintosh will only work with Exchange 2007, and 2010 so that would be worth checking.

With that said, I believe Microsoft is going in a very poor direction with Windows 8 and I believe OS X is a much more enjoyable platform to use if you are using the machine for personal tasks with a mixture of work.

The build quality of Macintoshes are good and no one can deny their style and appearance is top notch. Much like the iPhone, OS X is a pleasure to use. I use Safari for web browsing and find it does an excellent job. Apple has redefined many aspects of computing such as the trackpad on a notebook (nothing matches it) and window management is really good. I think all of your entertainment uses for a notebook would easily be met on the OS X platform. I would not hesitate at all to recommend one. They are expensive, and Apple does a few things I don't agree with (no Blu-ray, dropping optical drives and Ethernet ports relying completely on wireless). This stuff is probably fine for most users, but for my use I opted for the standard MacBook Pro to get the ports I need and the SuperDrive.

Apple also has excellent customer service. If you purchase one directly from Apple, you will have a 14 day return window no questions asked, and they will even pay for return shipping. Can't beat that.

Battery life I excellent in OS X, and will be significantly less if you run Windows on it. Also, Apple has skimped on their entry level products in the past with too little RAM standard (2GB on a Mac mini was just too little) and their hard disks can be a little slow on some models after using faster drives and SSDs. I would recommend getting 8GB of RAM minimum for a good experience. Maybe Microsoft will get their act together with Windows again some day, but for now I certainly prefer OS X for my use.

iPhoto is nice to manage your photos as well and is only an OS X application.

I would say give it a try.

23. snaky69 macrumors 603

A MacBook Pro can do all you mentioned, it's just a computer, not a spaceship.

A MacBook Pro is not expensive if you compare it to computer that are actually in the same class, not at cheap, plasticky $300 laptops with half-hour batteries.

The switch is quick and painless. Go into a store and give one a try.

24. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Office 2011 for Mac is indeed a much better product than Office 2008 (which was dreadful), but it is still inferior to its Windows counterpart.

I can give you some examples.

Office 2010 for Windows has much better performance. Word 2010 consumes about 50 MB of RAM (at most) while running. Word 2011 for Mac is a memory hog: it consumes 150-200 MB and is much slower. And Powerpoint is even worse; I can barely use the 2011 version.

There are only Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook available for Mac. You can't have One Note, Publisher or Access, for instance. They're just available for Windows.

The ribbon in the Windows version has much more customization options. That may boost your productivity. Plus, the ribbon in the Windows version provides a better interface (in the sense that commands are easier and faster to be found).

Office 2011 does not support Open Document files, neither Active X controls or right-to-left languages. And the installation of supplements may be more cumbersome than under Windows.

Office for Mac is always a pace behind. Office 2013 for Windows, with new features, is about to be released. No signs of the Mac counterpart (if it is ever going to exist), though.

----------

A MacBook Pro is expensive, although you may find value in that. Perhaps you don't care about the aluminium parts and just prefer a plasticky PC for getting your job done. Or perhaps you want the premium feel of the Mac, which certainly costs money.

One thing that lots of people see differences is in font rendering technology. Windows uses ClearType, which makes fonts sharper on the screen, and that may be useful for Office productivity. Mac uses Quartz, which makes fonts less sharp on the screen, but more similar to its printed versions (and that is better for desktop publishing). Two different approaches, but for spending countless hours reading and writing text in front of the computer, ClearType is better.

The only way to get the best of both worlds is with a MacBook Pro with a retina display. The retina display has a resolution so high that fonts look very clear and sharp, but it costs a lot of money.

25. Kasalic macrumors regular

Sorry, but I disagree totally.

I am a sysadmin for several companies and use a MacBook Pro with OS X on it for this. I also play guitar and record music using my MacBook Pro. Oh, and I enjoy playing the odd game and guess what? I use my MacBook Pro for that too.

Your comments are equally as false as saying that you cannot use a Windows system for making music or design work.

To the OP I would say that if you are a power user of windows, you will find it frustrating to switch. Our Windows Certified Engineers cannot do things as quickly on Mac OS as they can in Windows, and as the Apple Certified Engineer, I cannot do things in Windows as quickly as I can in Mac OS.