Should i change my current system

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by curiosa863, May 8, 2007.

  1. curiosa863 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2006
    #1
    I am currently using an iBook g4 that i got new 2.5 years ago. For high school graduation i can get a MBP pretty nicely equipped (my budget is 3 grand). I could spend a lot less and get a MB, but i don't know how much better off i'd be with that over my ibook. Should i get an iMac instead of a MBP? has anyone tried using a 17" MBP as a portable (traveling, using it on your lap)? If i get the MBP will i end up never using my ibook?
     
  2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

    dartzorichalcos

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    Location:
    Atlantis
    #2
    iMac VS MacBook Pro, I would say get the MacBook Pro because the MacBook Pro pretty much is a portable iMac. iMac would win in more screen space though.
    MacBook Pro, Get a 15" MacBook Pro instead of the 17" MacBook Pro because the 15" MacBook Pro has better portability.
    MacBook versus iBook G4, For the iBook G4 versus MacBook comparison check this If you want to save money, buy a MacBook. Note: The benchmarks are near the bottom of the page.
    It's up to you to decide but I would wait until WWDC and see what comes out of WWDC.
     
  3. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2007
    #3
    If you've got 3 grand and you don't mind a MacBook, why not get both a MacBook and an iMac?
     
  4. SMM macrumors 65816

    SMM

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2006
    Location:
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    #4
    The portability of the 17" is fine. The extra screen real estate is worth the extra 1.5 lbs (or whatever it is). If you are a weenie arm, this may not apply to you.
     
  5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

    Osarkon

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Location:
    Wales
    #5
    Trying to balance a 17' laptop on your lap is quite the challenge as I found out the other day, so in that respect I'd say you want the 15' model. :)
     
  6. curiosa863 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2006
    #6
    I will absolutely wait until WWDC, and maybe even October if revisions don't come in june. I'd love to get the imac and macbook, but the object isn't to spend 3grand, i can just spend up to that much to get A computer for college... configured the way i would like them, the difference in the 15/17 is only 130 dollars, which inclines me to get the 17. The difference in them at their base configurations is 300 dollars. Anyone know where i can get a comparison on the weight of my 12" ibook, and the various MB, and MBP models.
     
  7. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

    dartzorichalcos

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    Location:
    Atlantis
  8. devilot Moderator emeritus

    devilot

    Joined:
    May 1, 2005
    #8
    I "upgraded" from a 12" 1.33GHz iBook G4 to a 2.0GHz MB. Trust me. This thing flies compared to the iBook. :D And all I've tried so far are very very simple tasks (web browsing, some DVD ripping, etc.).

    If you had the MBP you would no longer touch your iBook unless the MBP had to go in for repairs or something. :p

    I am a fan of the iBook/MB + iMac combo, though. :D
     
  9. curiosa863 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2006
    #9
    ok, i think i'll kick it with the ibook until revisions come out. If the updates only come to the 15'' (say with led) what is your guess that the 17 will follow within the next few months?
     
  10. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

    Dynamyk

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2005
    Location:
    Toronto

Share This Page