Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hi, i'm in a little dilemma
i own this 2.0GHz MBP 15'4"
and i also own an acer Ferrari 4005 for work.

now the question is
i'm thining to sell my MBP to get the Macbook
as it's smaller and look better INMHO and also the spec says it has longer battery life compared to the MacBook Pro.

but i'm new to apple even my MBP haven't have any 3rd party software install in to it,
cause i mainly use windows for video/picture/mp3 editing, the reason i buy MBP is that i want to try mac , and bassically to keep save all my pics/songs/video, cause in windows u never knows when the virus will attatck :p and also to surf the net which i think will be alittle bit safer in Mac.

I know the most importance difference between the two is the graphic card,
but i don't know what it will effect on mac ?
i mean example if u using itunes, iphoto or in case any other 3rd party oftware in mac, how will this shared GPU on Macbook will perform compared to the MBP ?

i don't do gaming, but maybe in future i'll install mac applicaton for video editing and such.

and how much longer in eg. starting up ,Mp3 ripping through ituness etc cpmpared to the MBP
assuming they have both the 2.0Ghz intel core duo.

and is there any major bugs or problem in MacBook , like hiszzing sound, heat or etc ?

Did u all recommend me to change my MBP to MB ?
is MBP too much for my needs ?

please help as one of my friend is interested to buy my MBP but he want it soon, so i don't have a long time , to think.

I u were me , will u change ?
or stick with MBP, thx.

and is there any difference between the 2 when u watch DVD on it ?
does the MBP with better GPU show better picture ? or it will be the same ?
and also is taht true that MB have significantly longer battery life ?

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
If you don't play games you should be more or less unaffected. It will not affect movie viewing either.

Make sure you upgrade the Macbook's ram to at least 1GB though.

Yes, The MB should at least have an additional hour in most cases.

lensblur

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2006
I own both. (2 gig CPU, 2 gig RAM). MacBook Pro is faster, more responsive. But heavier.

- If you go for performance, don't downgrade.
- If you go for portability (don't forget screen size), go for MacBook.

Right now, I use MacBook Pro at home. And when I go out during weekens, and to work, I take the black MacBook with me.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
For your needs, a MacBook will be more than sufficient. And yes, the MB has a 2.0 GHz Core Duo processory – the MacBook I bought has one.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
Yes It Is

my biggest complaint with the macbook is the speakers. they are unbelivble quite, even in quite room, they are too quite.
substantial difference for movie viewing and music listening
andreas
extraextra said:
Get a Macbook. It does everything you need and more.

(DVD playback quality is not affected, btw)

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
10-Dee-Q said:
Hi, i'm in a little dilemma
i own this 2.0GHz MBP 15'4"

:eek: :eek:

WOW!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!

You....you....you....you have...IT!!!!!!!

I have never even heard someone that owned...IT!!!!!

How does it feel to have a 15' 4'' macbook pro. They only made one.

And i hope you know that 15' 4'' means...15 FEET, and 4 inches.

Now that is one ultimate laptop;)

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
oldnavy1918 said:
:eek: :eek:

WOW!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!

You....you....you....you have...IT!!!!!!!

I have never even heard someone that owned...IT!!!!!

How does it feel to have a 15' 4'' macbook pro. They only made one.

And i hope you know that 15' 4'' means...15 FEET, and 4 inches.

Now that is one ultimate laptop;)

Wow...talk about being rude. I'm wondering if you were intentionally trying to be this way. The guy asked a simple question, no need for senseless, rude, sarcasm. :rolleyes:

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
blueflame said:
my biggest complaint with the macbook is the speakers. they are unbelivble quite, even in quite room, they are too quite.
substantial difference for movie viewing and music listening
andreas

I always use headphones with a laptop, so I tend to forget that they actually have speakers. :eek: Sorry about that, and I don't have a Macbook so I wouldn't have known. People say that the Macbook Pro speakers aren't very good either though?

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
can i use the MBP hgher rating adaptor for the MB ?
and what iis the effects ?
will it charge the battery faster or what ?

and also does the speaker on the MB really really bad ??
i mean i had few windows notebook before and al of them seems to be ok with me for a notebook standard , only 1 exception is the acer ferrari, cause it has really really tiny sound, i ust plug it to externa speakers only to watch DVD in my quite room, or else i can't hear the dialouge.
how a bout the mac book ?

@lensblur
is it alot faster for normal tasks or just slightly faster?
cause if i see the benchmark on some sites , the result of the MB is about on par as the MBP
of course no gaming involve though.

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
@lensblur

and how about the battery live ?
is the MB significantly longer thatn the MBP ?

anyay this is a little bit out of subject, but i saw ur blog, and saw those beautiful pictures , and wondering what digicam u sue to take that ?
heheh

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
benthewraith said:
Wow...talk about being rude. I'm wondering if you were intentionally trying to be this way. The guy asked a simple question, no need for senseless, rude, sarcasm. :rolleyes:

Its called a little joke. Just pointing out something in a funny fashion.:p

craigatkinson

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
If you already own the macbook pro why not keep it? It's a great machine. I don't think you'll be any happier with the macbook. Especially giving up the screen real estate.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yeah...

I've got a nice little 12" powerbook I'll trade straight up for your MBP. Dedicated graphics and EVERYTHING.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
oldnavy1918 said:
Its called a little joke.

When the only person but yourself is laughing, it isnt a joke. It is just rude.

As for the OP question...

My two cents is that you can probably go down to just a MB. All the things you do definitely do not require a GPU. The only difference you might see is the frame rates you might see in visualization in iTunes if you even use it. It has been talked about alot in this forum, and if I remember correctly, a GPU in the system wont benefit much when you do video editing because it is more reliant on the CPU. However Im not sure since I do do this sort of editing.

Many of the problems people are seeing with the MacBooks now are that they are indeed hot, they moo, and some people complain of a whine. The Moo doesnt seem as widespread as it did in the first few weeks when they rolled off the assembly line. I had two week 22s and one moos and the other one didnt. Alot of people who buy MacBooks now are getting week 25 and 26 and they dont experience any moos, whines, or anything.

One of the main problems that seem to be with all MacBooks (and Pros) are that they all have heat issues. Apple insists upon it being the CPU, however I have seen many PC CoreDuo laptops and they never get as hot as what MacBooks are experiencing. Interestingly enough, I called AppleCare and the representative even said that 135 degrees Fahrenheit of the outside casing is considered within specification (You can suffer a first degree burn FYI). So to Apple's eyes the MacBook are all fine when looking at the "heat issue."

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
thx for the relpies guys, that really helpfull even though i'm still quite confuse about the decision :p
anyway
generally MB or MBP is hotter ?
my MBP read about 45C - 55C when using only firefox web browser and wi-fi turn on
i heard that the MB is much higher in case of the CPU temprature
but if i go to an Apple shop to touch the casing, the MBP is deffinatelly hotter.
maybe it's because of the metal casing ?

actually i have no problem on MY MBP only the lid is not properly aligned with the bottom casing when the lid is closed , and a little bit of buzzing when i use it on battery power.

but cause on of my friend willing to buy it for about US$2000
then i have this dillema about the MB :p
heheheh
:p

As for the screen quality
apart from the fact that MBP has hoigher resolution, but the quality of the colours,brightness, etc will be the same right ?
cause i from my experiance, my MBP's screen is much more beautifful when compared even to my acer Ferrari which have hgher resolution 15'4 WSXGA+
(1680x1440)

and for me a quality of the screen is really really important :p

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If you're selling your MBP because of better battery life, forget it. The difference is almost nothing, I'm sure of it.

In terms of size, the 15" MBP isn't really much bigger or heavier than the MacBook. It's definitely bigger, but see them side by side, and the difference isn't as much as you'd hope.

But I do think that my MB looks better than the MBP, but maybe this is because the MB design seems newer to me. I had a PowerBook before. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
oldnavy1918 said:
Its called a little joke. Just pointing out something in a funny fashion.:p

You're a bit of an idiot.

People don't use feet and inches regularly in many parts of the world (ie: people use this standard called the "metric system", and other than America,some of the older British population, and several Commonwealth countries (eg: Canada and Australia uses feet and inches to describe a person's height, but not length)). I only learnt how to use those markings correctly when I was 15-16, and I grew up in Canada, which is a lot closer to America than Indonesia is.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
I think you should go with the MB:) I have the 2Ghz white model, and it's the best computer I've ever had. It is SO fast (if you are doing processor intensive tasks, it will be just as fast as the MBP), and the screen is SO bright!!! It is as bright, or if not brighter than the MBP matte screen! The dedicated graphics is not as bad as it is made out to be, and I play 3D games such as Doom3 and Quake 4 on medium to high settings without a problem:cool: The battery life and airport reception is better, and it is lighter than the MBP. If you aren't doing any serious video editing etc, and you don't mind the slightly smaller screen, the MB is for you. The MB is also extremely durable, and won't dent if dropped, like the MBP (although I am in love with the aluminium casing!:cool: ) There are also less differences between the MB and the MBP than there were between the iBooks and Powerbooks - i.e. iBooks didn't have widescreen, powerbooks did, iBooks had slower processors than PB's, iBooks didn't support screen spanning and didn't have DVI, iBooks didn't have line in etc.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
10-Dee-Q said:
thx for the relpies guys, that really helpfull even though i'm still quite confuse about the decision :p
anyway
generally MB or MBP is hotter ?
my MBP read about 45C - 55C when using only firefox web browser and wi-fi turn on
i heard that the MB is much higher in case of the CPU temprature
but if i go to an Apple shop to touch the casing, the MBP is deffinatelly hotter.
maybe it's because of the metal casing ?

actually i have no problem on MY MBP only the lid is not properly aligned with the bottom casing when the lid is closed , and a little bit of buzzing when i use it on battery power.

but cause on of my friend willing to buy it for about US$2000
then i have this dillema about the MB :p
heheheh
:p

As for the screen quality
apart from the fact that MBP has hoigher resolution, but the quality of the colours,brightness, etc will be the same right ?
cause i from my experiance, my MBP's screen is much more beautifful when compared even to my acer Ferrari which have hgher resolution 15'4 WSXGA+
(1680x1440)

and for me a quality of the screen is really really important :p

I have no idea what the weather down there is, however in my room (which is about 75-80 Fahrenheit) when having FireFox on, it usually ranges between 50-58 Celcius via CoreDuoTemperature.

I believe many people usually say the Pro is hotter on the surface because the casing is anodized aluminum which is good at conducting heat away.

As for the screen, in my opinion going from a 12'' PowerBook to a 13'' MacBook, I would say the MacBook screen is DEFINITELY way better. The screen is indeed very bright and the colors definitely look alot better than the MBP with a matte finish. If you absolutely hate glare or reflections, the screen may irritate you. Since I still use a CRT monitor with my PC, Im a bit use to glare and reflections, so Im not bothered by it. Out in the sun though, compared to my former 12'' PowerBook, I would definitely say the MacBook wins hands down. Whether this is because the MacBook is alot brighter, I dont know. However with the MacBook I can actually see when Im sitting outside with the sun shining down. On the matte screen with my 12'' PowerBook, I couldnt tell whether it was on or off, the screen just looked blank.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
There is quite a big difference with DVD playback between the Pro and the MacBook. The Pro has a MUCH better screen (believe me). Brighter, matte and more vivid colours, plus much better movement. MacBook has a good screen, but the MBPs screen is awesome...

abeyk

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2006
Houston, TX
it really only depends on your needs. if you like more portability, a little more battery life, and don't need dedicated graphics then I say get the macbook. But if you already own the MBP then I don't see a reason to change it. :rolleyes:

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Abstract said:
(eg: Canada and Australia uses feet and inches to describe a person's height, but not length)
we dont in australia. i never use the imperial system for anything except computer screen measurements and wheel diametre, both because the Americans have decided they want to own both of them.

As for the switch from a MBP to a MB, the MacBook is smaller (arguarbly more portable), has longer battery life, cheaper (the actual computer and things like AppleCare), more robust, and is as or almost as powerful as the MBP.
Cons are the graphics card (which is poo), the screen may be too small and doesnt include exansion like the Express card slot.
If i were you, i would be stoked that i have a MBP, just because i do! But if you feel that you dont need the graphics processing, the extra screen estate or the express slot (who does?), you might want to consider selling your MBP and getting a MB. You will be a few hundred better off, which you can put towards your next purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.