Should I change my order?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by imte, Feb 1, 2008.

  1. imte macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2007
    Location:
    Australia
    #1
    I know there's been a lot of talk about the 8800GT and I'm sorry to start another thread about it but I need to act quickly on this and need some advice.

    Ever since there were the rumors in September/October about the New Mac Pro's I've been waiting for the new ones to come out. As soon as they did I ordered mine a couple of days after they were announced and configured it with the 8800GT. The main reason I've been waiting for the Mac Pro update is for a better graphics card because as well as the large amounts of video editing and film creation I do I like a bit of gaming as well.

    My dilemma is that I've ordered it through a reseller where I'm living at home now but I'm moving to go to University in about three weeks and for various reasons I need the Mac before then. The chance that I can get the machine with the 8800GT before then is very slim seeing as we still don't know when it's coming out, although there is a small chance it's possible. What I'm wondering is should I change my order to the stock graphics card (the 2600 XT) so that at least I have the machine before moving and can then just order the upgrade kit for the 8800GT, it would cost more but would save a lot of hassle.

    Does anyone have any advice as to which option I should go with, I could probably hold out until maybe Tuesday or Wednesday to make up my mind but after that it'll be too late. My other question is will there be any compatibility issues once installing the 8800 with programs that were previously running using the 2600 XT?

    Thanks in advance for any help or advice :)
     
  2. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

    OnePumpChump

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2007
    Location:
    Cleveland, OH
    #2
    Well, I think you kinda answered your own question. If it is that imperative that you have the Pro before you move, than the safest thing would be to change the order. And since nobody knows when the card is coming out, I doubt you can afford to gamble, again, if you need it by moving time.
     
  3. Jupeman macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2008
    #3
    Just be careful with the rest of your configuration. I changed my order on 1/13 to drop the 8800GT card so that I could get my machine sooner and Apple has still punted its ship date back to 2/8 at the earliest (almost the original date I had when I included the 8800GT :rolleyes:).

    I'm not sure how this works with a reseller, but if you were ordering directly from Apple you'd be reset back in the order queue as a result of the order change. Custom config orders can't be tweaked, they have to be cancelled and a new one submitted.
     
  4. imte thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2007
    Location:
    Australia
    #4
    I've still been thinking about it...what I still want to know is if I do change and when I finally get the 8800 are the cards easy to change over both in the physical sense and the drivers sense? I also want to run bootcamp for some games, would there be issues with changing the cards then as well?

    Thanks
     

Share This Page