Should I change the logic board?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kan-O-Z, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

I have a Santa Rosa 2.2GHz MBP with nVidia 8600GT. I know there are tons of posts regarding video card failures.

In the last few months I have been noticing my MBP completely locking up in iPhoto, particularly when I go to edit a file. I started looking at the error logs and I always find the same problem. It is some sort of NV Channel graphics error. I also notice that sometimes when it locks up, the screen goes all wierd with random graphics and colors

I have Apple Care and took it in. They ran the video tests and it passed. I kept insisting that perhaps it's my video card and they finally said they would change out the logic board.

Now the question is should I do it? It's odd that the problem only happens in iPhoto but I should say that I don't really do much graphics intensive stuff on it and I don't game. Could the problem somehow be iPhoto?

I'm tempted to just take it in and get the logic board replaced but I hope they don't screw up something else in the process.

Should I go ahead and change the logic board or do you think it could be something else?

Kan-O-Z

2. kolax macrumors G3

How old is your MBP? If your AppleCare is up soon, I'd get it replaced.

Though if your GPU was messing up, you'd get weird interference like effects on the screen at random times.

3. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP Replacement Logic Board Reliability

I have a 2.2GHz Santa Rosa MBP with nVidia 8600GT. I think I may have a faulty video card so I'm thinking of having my logic board changed through Apple Care.

Now the question is what is to say the replacement board isn't also faulty? I've heard that ALL nVidia 8600GTs are bad. I asked the Apple Genius about this and he assured me the replacement ones have been fixed and aren't faulty anymore. Is this true? Have the 'later' 8600GTs and replacement logic boards been fixed?

Kan-O-Z

4. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a little over a year old so I still have plenty of time. I feel like it might be the video but if there is a problem with iPhoto that can be fixed, I would love to figure it out. Again the screen does turn all wierd with messed up graphics and colors...but strangely doesn't happen in any other program?

Kan-O-Z

5. MIKE666 macrumors regular

there is no certainty you may be lucky or you may not. If its old stock which it may be, then it will probably be faulty. Alot of people are extremely annoyed by this, including myself. But well what can you do.:mad:

6. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

So you are confirming that the newer ones have fixed this problem? At least that would give me some hope.

Kan-O-Z

7. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

If the replacement could be faulty (if so, how unbelievable!), does Apple extend the warranty of the replacement beyond the normal warranty period too?

8. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

9. wassabie macrumors newbie

I had my logic board replaced due to graphic distortions on my screen on December 13th. I got my machine back after the logic board repair and I still observe the graphics problems (different types of graphic problems). I don't know if they really in did switch out the logic board for a new one...and if they did, then you can still receive faulty logic boards from the new batch. It is really disappointing. i am sending my computer back for logic board repair tomorrow.