Should I charge late 2013 13' retina macbook before using it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by purplekush604, Oct 31, 2013.

1. purplekush604 macrumors member

Hey guys my macbook is arriving today, wondering if I should fully charge the battery before using it, or use it and kill the battery and than charge?

Thanks

2. zOlid macrumors regular

zOlid

None of them.
    You don't need to fully charge it before use, that was older battery tech that needed it, not now days.
    And you should NEVER let the battery drain fully. Its not a catastrophe if you do, but it wears the battery out like nothing else. So avoid it as much as you can.
    You do not need to drain it to calibrate it or something like that.

3. purplekush604 thread starter macrumors member

thanks, I was just confused if I should fully charge it before even using it, I'll just go home and use it, drain to 50 percent and recharge it again.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just start using it. Apple recommends that you fully charge it the first time you use it, not before you use it. They recommend that because Macs are typically shipped without a full charge on the battery. Even if you don't, nothing bad will happen.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

You don't need to do that. Just use your Mac. You don't need to charge or drain to any particular level. Just use it.

5. purplekush604 thread starter macrumors member

Awesome Thanks

6. rMBP2013 macrumors member

Repped.

Thank you.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I usually fully charge it the first time I get any electronic product.

Then I don't really care. Seems to work for me.