Should I clean install?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hallux, Feb 17, 2014.

1. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I'm getting myself a Samsung 840 EVO with some OT money and a small bit of my tax refund. Having been a Windows guy until 3 years ago, when replacing a system drive I've ALWAYS done a clean install. As my MBP has been through Lion, ML and now Mavericks, would I be best off doing a clean install on the new SSD when I install it?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There are some forum members here that are big advocates of the clean install, but I am not one of them. If your machine is working okay now, just clone it to the new drive and keep on rolling.

The clean install can be useful if you have installed third party utilities that have screwed up your machine, but if it is working okay, a clean install is not necessary.

3. hallux thread starter macrumors 68020

hallux

Thanks. I actually checked with a couple of my Mac-knowledgeable buddies at work (they provide L3 support for Macs in a large corporation), they both suggested the clean install route.

4. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I replaced the HDD of my MacBook with an SSD via the cloning route, no clean install, and have had no issues at all. As mentioned above, unless you're having an issue it won't be a problem to just clone the drive and then pop the new one in.

If you wanted to do a clean install though what you could do to save some time is use Time Machine to back up your current system and then you can use migration assistant after the clean install to get documents and applications back without any extra crud.

Again, I wouldn't say this is necessary, but it would help a bit if you decide that you do want to clean install.

5. hallux thread starter macrumors 68020

hallux

I had another thought, what will happen to my TM drive? Will it see the computer as a new one (if I clean install I presume it will) and start a fresh TM set?

Will I need Trim Enabler for the new drive? Will PowerNap work (I presume no)?

6. hallux thread starter macrumors 68020

hallux

Completed this morning. 2 hours from cracking open the bottom of the machine to being in my migrated account. Did a clean install and migrated when it prompted. iTunes authorization migrated, as did my Google app-specific passwords for Messages and email. MOST apps came over fine, have to fix Google Drive and had to reinstall Truecrypt.

It DOES look like I need TrimEnabler or the command to enable TRIM on the drive, and the TM settings came over for my backup.