Should I continue using my jailbroken iPhone 3GS on 4.1 or restore and quit Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by alazahee, Dec 27, 2010.

1. alazahee, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2010

alazahee macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,
    My phone is already jailbroken with limera1n on IOS 4.1, but do you guys think I should restore to IOS 4.2.1? It has hell lots of more features and fixed alot of bugs, including the security bug. Actually, I jailbreak just to get free applications via installous, but I seldom play nowadays but I am afraid if I restore, and after awhile I got the urge to play, the jailbreak won't be as easy as limera1n, as stable as limera1n, or even next time, it cannot be jailbroken. So guys, what should I do? Jailbreak or Not Jailbreak?
    I look forward to all your replies!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4.2.1 is not enough for me to lose my JB over or get stuck with a tethered jailbreak.
    Up to you.

3. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I was pleased upon return today of my iPhone 4 (the first return I've ever had to make to the Apple store) they replaced it with an iPhone that had 4.1

I was able to go back to jailbreak and let me tell you, since updating the other iPhone to 4.2.1 several weeks ago it feels so good to be back jailbroken!

I will never give it up again no matter what the promises of a performance upgrade with the update.

Stick with your jailbreak and really, there is little if any advantage to 4.2

4. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I did many jailbreaking before, but now I hate it, it annoys me like hell, having to deal with all the problems it might cause like messing up my iPhone's baseband.

5. troyhouse macrumors 6502

Still on 4.0.1 jb and ul on my 3gs... no plans to upgrade to 4.2.x till the reliable jb and ul is released...

i just keep backing up shsh whenever there is new OS version out... !!

6. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

How does JB causes problem with baseband? Are trying to unlock the phone?

7. EightiesRock macrumors newbie

Same situation

I'm in the exact same boat as OP. This morning, I upgraded my JB 3.12 3G with a refurbb'ed 3gs from ATT and they sent me one with 4.1 on it (Woohoo!). First thing I did was JB the sucker and I'm loving all of the great tweaks.

I'm no noob to iPhone or Apple production, and understand that, as of today, there's no way to get my SHSH for 4.1 which the phone came with (although I did get the 4.2.1 in case future JBs)

I know that notcom says he may write an app to possibly do restores without the need for iT. Yet, I have a question.. Is there no way to do a bit-by-bit backup of the phone as it sits today (using tools like dd from your computer [like when in DFU mode]) to write back all the partitions to the iphone in the future? --> another way to put it is: Isn't there a way to take an ISO image of the phone and then pop it back on in case of emergency?

Or is the only option to do a layered "restore", by putting in a base iOS image, then restore data, then restore apps, etc (which requires iT + the dreaded "Firmware Validation" requiring the SHSH)?

Thanks for any insight.

8. joyeuxanne macrumors newbie

9. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

I am still on JB 4.1 and will stay until a proper untethered JB method comes out. Personally I see no reason to upgrade it since 4.1 works for perfectly for me and I don't want to give up SBSetting, iRealSMS, MyWi and RemoveBG...

10. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Don't jailbreak, then you wont be tempted to steal apps again.

11. iAd4m macrumors member

This seems like a pretty simple "problem" to me.

Just stick to what you have and wait 2 or 3 or 4 more weeks until 4.2.1 is fully jailbroken and all the bugs are ironed out.
    Then move.

12. latafairam macrumors member

Totally agree. If there is no Jailbreak for 4.2.1, dont update, you're not missing much.