Should I create an Apple Computer Account before or after initializing/configuring my laptop? ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlackBoxA42, Apr 25, 2018.

1. BlackBoxA42 macrumors newbie

Subject: Should I create an Apple Computer Account before or after initializing/configuring my laptop?
    (Opening it up for the first time)
    This is the first of eighteen questions relating to an Apple Mac-Book Pro 13 (Version 2017)
    and the Macintosh "High Sierra" Operating System.
    I am a first time user of an Apple product/device and the operating system.
    Background: I purchased an Apple laptop with four ports and an internal solid state hard drive
    (512GB capacity). I've purchased four additional items which go with the laptop. They are an external keyboard (With an adapter). An external hand held mouse (With an adapter). An adapter
    for "Wired Internet Service" (With a Belkin JD45 cable). This adapter will hook up
    to an ARRIS (Formerly Motorola) Surfboard cable modem & Wi-Fi Router AC 1600 Model SBG 6700 AC.

Note: I prefer using "Wired Internet Service".

Finally, I've purchased an external enclosure with a Samsung solid state hard drive (256GB capacity).

Note: I have NOT yet initialized/configured my laptop.(Opened it up for the first time)

Note: I want all four items hooked up to the laptop when I do initialize/configure my laptop.

My first question is ...
    Should I create an Apple Computer Account before or after initializing/configuring my laptop?
    (Opening it up for the first time)

2. leman macrumors G3

I do not understand the question. You need an account to configure the laptop. How else would you log in? Just start the laptop and go through he configuration process, account creation is part of this process — just like with any OS out there.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you're overthinking the process here. Start up your new computer and begin the process of setting it up. During that process it will ask for your iCloud account information. If you don't have one, it will ask if you want to create one. You can do that then.

There's no need to do it before, but it won't hurt anything if you do.

Personally, I'd first get the computer configured without any peripherals attached then plug them in. Since this is your first Mac, get used to everything before adding in peripherals