Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2015
I had deleted all of my social media six or so months ago but now I feel really disconnected...on the other hand i've learned a ton by being in safari most of the time instead of social networks. I'm aware of the privacy issues just wanted a thought.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I don't bother with any social media. I use macrumours and I read a fair bit. I prefer not to get caught up in others pointless dramas

Reactions: Plutonius

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I use social media to stay connected with friends and family. I get to see pictures of them, or their kids, and nice to be able to interact with them on a level.

If you are able to connect with your friends/family without Facebook then don't bother. I have family that is quite distant and its difficult to see them, so FB is a nice alternative. Personally I don't have a problem with FB, I use it as one method of interaction, not the only method and its rather minor at that.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Do what makes you happy. If you're happy with Facebook and/or Twitter, then use them. If not, don't.

I don't have a Facebook and I don't want one. I have Twitter but use it primarily to follow news type accounts. I don't use it much for socializing.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Do you also crowd-source when to have sex with your wife? It all comes down to deciding whether or not you want to put up with the drama and negatives to get the positives. Only you can decide if it's worth the effort and hassle.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I use social media to stay connected with friends and family. I get to see pictures of them, or their kids, and nice to be able to interact with them on a level.

If you are able to connect with your friends/family without Facebook then don't bother. I have family that is quite distant and its difficult to see them, so FB is a nice alternative. Personally I don't have a problem with FB, I use it as one method of interaction, not the only method and its rather minor at that.

Great post, we're the same way. You have to use it as a tool, not let it _use_you_ to generate grief, drama or any other negative mojo.

On our FB accounts, there's no bickering, all our friends are adults, we use it to share media, events, restaurants, ask questions about travel, health, schools, weather and whatever :)

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Some people have no need for social media, some people can't stay off of it. It depends on what you want to get out of it. Many who stay away from it think that it's all drama and people being stupid. If you see it that way, then you might need new friends. I see very little of that.

I was on numerous touring family entertainment productions for many years, and thus have numerous friends all over the world. It's impractical to keep up with them in any other way than social media. Most of them are good enough friends to stay in touch, but not good enough that I could call them and talk to them on a weekly basis. And I also like seeing where all these people I've met over the years have ended up, or where they're still going. For this, social media is perfect.

I do NOT get caught up in social media drama. Luckily, most of the people on my friends list aren't like that. For instance, with the Supreme Court decision yesterday, I saw dozens of positive happy messages, but not yet a single angry one. I think those that don't approve are just staying quiet.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There is no right or wrong or even better or worse answer to something like this. Simply depends on what you want or need and what works for you, sometimes not even in general but at that particular period of time. What others do or don't do and for what reasons they might or might not do it really doesn't matter that much.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I had deleted all of my social media six or so months ago but now I feel really disconnected...on the other hand i've learned a ton by being in safari most of the time instead of social networks. I'm aware of the privacy issues just wanted a thought.
I deleted my FB account a couple of months ago. The social media part of it was becoming more and more annoying, I only used it for messaging, and I realised people I was likely to actually talk to had at least three other ways to contact me (Telegram being my app of choice).

I've reactivated it a couple of times because I needed a FB account to log on other websites, but I was then promptly out again. Don't miss it. Twitter gets me updated with all the news I need, but again, I don't tweet about my life, only when it's relevant, and once a week or so, I delete my tweets if I deem them not worthy of living on forever.

I like forums, and reddit, aside from that, and Twitter, which serves an actual purpose, I don't like social media.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I don't really use social media, but I had a FaceBook until 1 year ago. When I was active I had ~1,100 friends. I realized that aside at most 10%, I wasn't at all concerned about the day-to-day activities of these "friends" and the people who posted the most are the people cared the least about. The people close to me I already keep in contact through conventional modes of communication (real life interaction, phone, email, text, Skype, FaceTime). I concluded if I want you in my life, I will be in contact with you. Conversely, if you want me in your life, you can reach out to me. In hindsight, I'm not too sure belonging to FaceBook really enhanced my real world social life to any degree and mostly served as a contact list of every young person I've met in 8 years. The benefits I experienced was exposure to new ideas and concepts and a way to stay in touch with distant friends and family, like my relatives in Israel. That said, for me FB is not enough to maintain a quality relationship and the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

Being completely honest, the biggest problem I had was just the amount of anxiety and insecurity in bred within me. The effect is well documented in studies. I was constantly judging myself and comparing my life against the virtual representation of others' lives (which are usually glamorized, idealized, etc). In addition to content, there were quantitative metrics like number of tags, pictures, friends, likes, etc to analyze. I could easily slip into a sense of inferiority comparing myself to others which highlights my own insecurities. At the same time, likely to compensate, I could criticize others based on their content or statistics. For people I disliked, I could find additional reasons to justify my dislike. Interestingly, looking at my close friends and family did not evoke the same emotions. That said, knowing I was open for behind-the-back criticism, my anxiety increased about what and how I presented, not to mention how people responded. All of this negative energy is not something I want to feel or express towards others.

Sure, you and I can judge people in real life, but face to face there is distraction to take away from the judgements and factors to alter your judgement- like a context, emotion, and an environment. In real life out of politeness we hold back judgement (criticism, eye rolling, laughing), but in social networking we can make our judgement and instantly send the exact information to others, and later go back to it, to further reinforce the negative ideas. Ironically, in some ways virtual world is so much more physical than the real world. In real life, events begin and end, while online pictures, videos, and posts can be downloaded and/or shared. I have personally seen classmates and fellow employees disciplined for what they have posted online, not limited to firing people with professional degrees.

If I ever return to social networking (to keep in contact with people far away from me), I will put more planing into building my network. I will only accept friendships with people I am actually good friends with in the real world. My recommendation, is to do the same. Figure out what your intentions are with social networking and execute accordingly. If it's for your friends, make sure it's your actual friends. If it's for your career, keep it professional and don't intermingle your personal life. The free-for-all, have-as-many-friends-as-possible approach (in my experience) serves no benefit in my experience.

I recently attended a psychiatry conference with excellent MD speaking on the internet/social networking on mental health. I've written too much already, but his general opinion was negative regarding FaceBook, for some of the reasons I mentioned here. His concern was focused most upon the youth and young adults. He had quite a few studies to back up his thoughts. More on that later...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulenspiegel

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I don't really use social media, but I had a FaceBook until 1 year ago. When I was active I had ~1,100 friends.

I think that's a problem with many people. One friend of mine (an actual friend who I hang out with), had something like 1,500 friends. He would literally friend every person he met for more than 30 seconds. His girlfriend finally sat down with him and went through his list and asked him for each person who thy were, and deleted anyone who he didn't actually know. Come to think of it, I have several friends like that. One came to a party at my house, and the next day friended every single person from the party, whether she had actually interacted with them or not. I think that's the problem many see. I don't use it like that, so maybe I don't run into the issues that many others do.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I think that's a problem with many people. One friend of mine (an actual friend who I hang out with), had something like 1,500 friends. He would literally friend every person he met for more than 30 seconds. His girlfriend finally sat down with him and went through his list and asked him for each person who thy were, and deleted anyone who he didn't actually know. Come to think of it, I have several friends like that. One came to a party at my house, and the next day friended every single person from the party, whether she had actually interacted with them or not. I think that's the problem many see. I don't use it like that, so maybe I don't run into the issues that many others do.
Between going to 3 different school between kindergarten and 12 grade, 2 colleges, all of which were relatively small, I think I made out pretty good. I feel like most people have 800+. I wasn't kidding when making up the massive numbers. I had my girlfriend get this screenshot of my "friend", you probably know him.
Screen Shot 2015-06-28 at 11.49.18 AM.png

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
There have been some very good posts which have made some excellent points.

To answer that, you have to ask yourself what it is you would want from a FB account. Moreover, it is also important to set your boundaries in advance, and to decide the type of 'friends' you wish to connect with, and what sort of information it is that you would be willing to share.

Personally, I'm not on FB, never was, and I have never seen the need for it.

However, I am on LinkedIn, and Skype, as well as here, and I am mulling over Twitter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.