Should I delete everything off of this MacBook before returning it to the store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HappyDude20, Jan 3, 2013.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'll be wanting to return a MacBook Air just bought cause I didn't like it, and to replace it with a Mac mini.

Should I delete everything securely before taking it back to the apple store, or will it not matter..? Assuming they would delete the returned MacBook themselves?

If so, what's the best route?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, if you're returning it and not just getting it serviced, it's best to wipe it and do a clean install so no one can access your data. Apple would probably do it, but I wouldn't depend on that.

3. AFPoster macrumors 65816

As GGJ mentioned Apple would probably do it but don't rely on that. There is always someone out there willing to go the extra mile in searching for incriminating material or in this case of our young generation (thanks to celebs) inappropriate pictures of yourself. Dumb I know, but thank Hollywood for that.

When I was in the Air Force our IT team did it all the time and I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them work for Apple now.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I would clone the hdd, boot from the clone and then wipe the internal

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

if u are not a celebrity, or an ex-CIA agent, or have incriminating info, probly don't need to bother. I dunn think the kids at Apple is that interested in your private life. OTOH, it's not that hard to wipe.

7. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

The only way to destroy evidence is to eat it or burn it the choice is yours