Should I demand a replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Sep 27, 2009.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I have an early 2008 mbp but i've had the battery, logic board, superdrive, and screen replaced so far.

battery wouldnt hold a charge, was defective. the screen was doing weird backlighting things so i got that replaced, the 8600m was scrambling graphics so i got a new logic board, and the superdrive wouldnt burn dl's so i got that replaced too. now the hd sounds like its on its way out (louder, more ball spinning for no reason on SL), and i've still had a few scrambled graphic screens from time to time (another defective 8600M?)

should i demand a replacement computer? where from if so? retailer/customer service?

halp?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Normally they won't replace until they have replaced the same part 3 times.

3. zwaldowski macrumors member

See what you can do with AppleCare; however, their policy is to just keep fixing it unless it's in the 30-day grace period. Just keep trying. I'm sorry you're having a bad experience.

4. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

5. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Oh ya mention the lemon law if your in America

6. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that's only for used cars.

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

What is lemon law?

8. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Lemon laws are American state laws that provide a remedy for purchasers of cars that repeatedly fail to meet standards of quality and performance. These cars are called lemons.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

In U.S. we call the cars lemons, in England they call them Fried Eggs.

10. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

?? Not here in Oxfordshire. Maybe "Friday cars?" Actually, we call them lemons too. Maybe you meant a smiley, and I'm being too serious for a Sunday evening.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you have any more issues that require repair, put in the request for a replacement.

Or 5 major repairs.

12. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I had an iMac that would randomly shut off about a year ago. I had 2 logic board repairs, 1 GPU repair, 2 Bluetooth radio repairs, and an Airport radio repair within a week before they gave up on it. At that point it shut off randomly, wouldn't turn on the screen, wouldn't give any video output, and had a corrupt HDD. They finally replaced it with the same model with Leopard on it (I had a Tiger model).

13. juswest macrumors regular

14. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

He should mention the 6th amendment too. Couldn't hurt.

15. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

It's nice to want things but Apple is will continue to repair it. It's only when you have multiple issues with the same part that they will replace the machine. I had the same problem multiple times with an older machine and they replaced it with a new MBP. All you can do is keep pushing them to make it right and let them determine what is appropriate.

16. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Not necessarily. It is more like, if you had 3 repairs you will most likely get a replacement. My iBook G4 had 3/4 repairs (3rd and 4th were right after each other, so it was more like one long repair) and the issues were totally different.

17. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

apple replaced my white macbook with a unibody 2.4 ghz macbook after 2 hard drive replacements, a bad lcd screen, and 1 lbad usb port. i would just speak with your store manager.

18. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

I had a similar problem with an early 08 15". 5 major hardware faults in just over a year. After talking to numerous Applecare agents who ignored me, I finally wrote a letter to corporate in Cupertino outlining the problems
    I had and my request, written in a professional and non-threatening manner.

Three weeks later, they called me and agreed to a replacement with a current Unibody model with better specs. Just be polite and persistent in what you want, and corporate will listen.

If you want a copy of my letter, let me know.

As for me, I am expecting my new MBP to arrive on Wednesday!

19. harodude macrumors regular

Replacement can also result from 2 repairs within a months time, with a persistant issue...

This guy more than qualifies!