Should i dissable Applications folder from time machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by billmister, Jun 8, 2009.

1. billmister macrumors 6502

Quick question. I have time machine installed on my computer with leopard and it is backing up my whole computer. But one thing i noticed today is, Why have it back up my applications folder? Or really anything but photos, MOvie's, Pictures, Documents??

Because as far as i'm concerned. Lets say i use Appzapper to delete an application, then i decide to have it back in 2 months, i use time machine but when i try running the app it will not let me because i assume files are missing.

So instead of backing up all the addition junk or error messages or stuff that is just noncess, shouldn't i just back up those main folders named up above?

And if yes how do i set that?... Do i just exclude the other folders?

The main reason why i'm asking is because, today i online purchased a macbook pro and want to use time maching from my external to restore stuff... But then again, i don't want all the errors or additional "private" folder (what leopard stores when you are browsing the net and stuff, it's hidden folder), etc...

I mean all i really want is my movies, pics, documents, music and some software in which i have the software disks and might not want them anyway because i want to install some of them and the others i'll just buy updated version.

Please answer.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, you can set it up to exclude everything except your home folder.